Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

QPR vs Charlton-Sat 23rd November- Return of the 'Serious Preview' (Sort of)

edited November 2013 in General Charlton
Introduction

After AFKA’s brilliant alternative cover preview for the Leeds match, Preview Towers gets back to some sort of reality this week with a slightly more serious preview ahead of the visit to Loftus Road on Saturday.

With QPR in 3rd place and the Addicks in 19th place, on paper the game looks like it may head one way but with Chris Powell’s side known for being capable of snatching points off teams at the top which has included the likes of Leicester and Blackpool this season, then the result could go either way.

The Opposition

Harry Houdini’s magic couldn't quite save QPR from relegation from the Premier League last season after a dreadful 2012-13 campaign, but with shrewd signings so far this season, QPR have impressed and currently find themselves only two points away from top-spot.

With the quality and experience that QPR display in their side, it’s no surprise that they are the favourites to gain promotion back to the Premier League and the money spent by Redknapp during the summer proves their ambitions to achieve promotion and remain in the league.

One of those summer signings was striker Charlie Austin who joined the ‘Hoops’ from promotion-rivals Burnley for a fee around £4m. Austin has already scored six league goals this season for QPR and will certainly be the biggest threat for Charlton’s back four.

Player to Watch

The player to watch is weekend is the prolific Sandra Redknapp. The wife of Harry certainly has an eye for goal and her recent displays have even seen some asking for her to be called up for next year’s World Cup. Sandra’s finishing makes Darren Bent look like Marouane Chamakh, so much so that when Bent missed a chance during his Spurs days, Harry claimed ‘Sandra could've scored that’…

In all seriousness, we should watch out for Charlie Austin-he can certainly finish well.

The Line –Up

After the defeat to Leeds, Chris Powell has got some real thinking to do especially in regards to the line-up and formation. Despite the defeat, the performance was decent but again highlighted the problems the Addicks have had converting their chances.

Despite Yann’s substitute appearance against Leeds before the International break, I wouldn't be surprised to see him remain on the bench and see Simon Church alone up-front again in a 4-5-1 formation.

After the experiment of both Callum Harriott and Cameron Stewart on the wings didn't quite work out, it is likely that we will see Bradley Pritchard return on the right-wing with Harriott dropping to the bench.

The other dilemma for Powell is in the centre of defence where Charlton have had some injury problems over the last couple of weeks. It looks unlikely that Richard Wood will return likewise with Leon Cort so Dorian Dervite should keep his place alongside Michael Morrison as long as Morro is fit enough to start.

The Prediction

With two sides that don’t score a lot during their matches, I can see this being a low-scoring game. 1-1.

Comments

• Good preview but if I was CP I would certainly play Yann up front, maybe moving Church wide. I also think we will get a point, so 1-1 for me also.
  • Hope the rest has done Yann and others some good.
  • edited November 2013
    Glad you're back, Stubley. The last bloke thought he was so funny and look what happened as a result of all his clever jokes? A defence that hadn't conceded in more than six hours went and let in four.

Sandra to miss a hat-load of chances and Charlton to get a point against the run of play :- 1-1. In a splendid example of poetic justice, Harry left bemoaning his bad luck and declaring, "Even Benty would have put a few of those away".
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Hoops turn it on... 5-0 on the astro turf
  • Coke Addicks don't sniff at three points.

Newly enriched Charlton, bought by the Coca Cola Corporation only yesterday, looked like the real thing as they took all three points with a late Bradley Pritchard goal.

The Bubbly south Londoners had to pass a servere pepsi challange from Rangers but the high flying hoops ran out of fizz.
  • ....and the wind was taken out of the Hoops' sails when Joey "The Gent" Barton was shown a straight red for attempting to revive the prone Kermorgant with the toe of his steel capped boot.
  • Charlton win by the odd goal in five.
  • It's a London derby so nothing less than a 2-0 win to the hoops will do.
  • 2-0 QPR
  • Sponsored links:

• Good preview. As much as I would love to get a result there, I just can't see it. I reckon we will blow a 1-0 lead and end up losing 3-1.
  • Coke Addicks don't sniff at three points.

Newly enriched Charlton, bought by the Coca Cola Corporation only yesterday, looked like the real thing as they took all three points with a late Bradley Pritchard goal.

The Bubbly south Londoners had to pass a servere pepsi challange from Rangers but the high flying hoops ran out of fizz.

That's the way it is. What the world need today.
  • got a feeling we may get a draw out of this. 1v 1
  • Looking forward to this, dont do too many aways these days.

Tough game though and cant honestly see us getting a result

Would go with that side above and bring Yann on with 20 to go unless we are getting tonked.
  • 4-0 qpr and a saturday night charlton life meltdown
  • 3-0 defeat and the scum will beat Barnsley to go back above us.
  • 1-1 draw, don't see us getting beat in this one
  • QPR 1or 2 Reds 0 or 1
  • Too much quality for us, another miserable outing for the travelling masses
  • Don't see this going the right way unfortunately, 3-1 defeat
  • Sponsored links:

• Home win for me, Sandra to score a hat trick and Rosie caught crapping in our dressing room.
  • Too much quality for us, another miserable outing for the travelling masses

Agreed - 3-0 defeat unfortunately.

• edited November 2013
    IF (big IF!) there is any hint of truth in the takeover rumours could this be used to try and motivate those players with contracts to play for to up their game another level? Tell them there are new owners on the horizon with big plans and if they want to be part of that then start showing everyone they are worth being a part of the new regime.

Can see a draw being the best result we can hope for but expect to see a comfortable home win for the hoops. 2-0.
  • Queens Park Rangers 2 v CAFC 0 .. we don't have enough of an attacking threat with just Church up front .. QPR has a glut of strikers and will take the chances that we waste .. we will miss Wood and Kermorgant .. but that is stating the obvious
  • We will be there, and I am expecting a result to remember. 1-0 to the Addicks with a Joey Barton own goal !
  • afraid to say 3-0 loss will be there cheering the boys on and hoping for a different result tho, but they have a quality squad and we have no goalscorers with Yann out and I don't think Church works on his own.

Saturdays ref average of just over 2 yellows a game this season
    http://www.soccerbase.com/referees/referee.sd?referee_id=883
  • I've seen Yann in training - he looks fit and strong, some good finishing going on. He's definitely fit enough to play.

Having said that, the gaffer knows he put Yann back in too early last time. I expect he will remain on the bench for Saturday.
  • I've seen Yann in training - he looks fit and strong, some good finishing going on. He's definitely fit enough to play.

Having said that, the gaffer knows he put Yann back in too early last time. I expect he will remain on the bench for Saturday.

Are you the new American owner?