Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gibraltar

So Gibraltar played there 1st Game since being accepted by UEFA and they draw 0-0 against Slovakia, now for a team with only 600 players to choose from(less than San Marino) that is a very good result.

There manager said earlier today he was hoping they could cause a shock and qualify for euro 2016 probably a bit optimistic.

Should also point out they have a former Premier League player in there team Danny Higginbotham who qualified as his mum was from Gibraltar

Comments

• Options
    Poke in the eye for their Iberian neighbours who threatened to withdraw from UEFA if Gibraltar were allowed to enter teams.
  • Options
    156-1 for the 0-0
  • Options
    Did I read somewhere that Spain and Gibraltar can't be drawn together in the Euro's?
  • Options
    Probably because of the queue's to get through Spanish Customs into Gibraltar.
  • Options

Did I read somewhere that Spain and Gibraltar can't be drawn together in the Euro's?

Correct, they're kept apart as are at least two, possibly three of the former Yugoslavian nations.
  • Options
    Watch them rise up the rankings and overtake the jocks and the taffs to become the second best home nation :)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Correct, they're kept apart as are at least two, possibly three of the former Yugoslavian nations.
    Am sure the ex yugos play each other. It is Armenia and someone else who don't play.
  • Options
    armenia and azerbaijan IF that's the case

but i don't know
  • Options

but i don't know

Them and Russia-Georgia.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

se9addick said:

Am sure the ex yugos play each other. It is Armenia and someone else who don't play.
    Ah right, I thought it was Bosnia and Serbia but I guess I was wrong
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Higginbotham was on Talksport last night.

Said he didn't even know half the names playing alongside him, kept calling the CB next to him 'Carl' until someone asked him in the 2nd half why he was calling him that as it wasn't his name.

Slovakia beat Poland 2-0 on Friday !
  • Options
    Great result. They are looking to play big games in Faro ( as was last nights game ) so I may well become a regular! Their fans are great, as anyone who went to our game over there will testify. They are only going to be kept apart from Spain for this one tournament.
  • Options
    They remain the only unbeaten team in international football
  • Options
    Quality, the Rock is a great place. And ours !
  • Options
    They are hoping to have a new 10,000 seat stadium ready for 2016.

Good Luck to them!!
  • Options

but i don't know

But they can play the Turks? Wow!
  • Options
    buckshee said:

Watch them rise up the rankings and overtake the jocks and the taffs to become the second best home nation :)

:-)
  • Options
    Loco said:

but i don't know

But they can play the Turks? Wow!
    I think Armenia played the Turks home and away a year or so back, think it passed off reasonable peacefully, given the circumstances.
  • Options
    tough group for them
    Germany
    Republic of Ireland
    Poland
    Scotland
    Georgia

and Danny Higginbotham is about to retire after there next 2 friendlies
  • Options
    I saw a programme once about the island , does this qualify me to play for them?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:

I saw a programme once about the island , does this qualify me to play for them?

Better qualifying standard than most of the Irish players.

• Options
    DRAddick said:

buckshee said:

Better qualifying standard than most of the Irish players.

Or the English cricket team! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Just won there 2nd ever match (not including the game againts Notts County)

In 2014 they beat Malta 1-0
    Since then they have lost 23 times drew once and now have beat Latvia(ranked 131st) 1-0
  • Options
    Isnt Jeff Wood our old goalie in charge of Gibraltar?
  • Options
    No. This was their first game since he quit.
    Play their home games in Portugal - work that out !
  • Options
    Their*
  • Options
    buckshee said:

On the topic of tenuous qualification, a friend of mine from Charlton Chess Club went to visit his uncle in Papua New Guinea, got invited to play for them in the chess olympiad, and went on to win a gold medal for best score.
  • Options

So Gibraltar played there 1st Game since being accepted by UEFA and they draw 0-0 against Slovakia, now for a team with only 600 players to choose from(less than San Marino) that is a very good result.

There manager said earlier today he was hoping they could cause a shock and qualify for euro 2016 probably a bit optimistic.

Should also point out they have a former Premier League player in there team Danny Higginbotham who qualified as his mum was from Gibraltar

I remember him. He played for Royal Antwerp years ago ...
  • Options

No. This was their first game since he quit.
    Play their home games in Portugal - work that out !

Assuming you don't really know the situation Phil, Spain think Gib should be their territory, because it is attached to their country, but their enclaves on a different continent ( Melila and Cueta ) are apparently perfectly fine. But that's another issue...

The Victoria Stadium is not up to holding proper international fixtures, and in fairness the Gib FA have been fucking about and have had quite a lot of time to deal with the situation. However, in the meantime, UEFA have been patient and due to said issues with Spain, Gib can't play home games in an adjacent Spanish stadium. So the closest stadium outside Spain that fits UEFA standards is The Algarve Stadium, which is where they play qualifiers at the moment.

I think UEFA may lose patience with Gibraltar if they don't get a stadium sorted in their country soon, and as much as I love the place, be it on their own head...