Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best gig you have been to that you expected to be crap

Went with work in the late 80's to see Rick Astley as fancied one of the girls going.
Surprisingly good performance from the white soul supremo.

Comments

• Options
    Not that I expected it to be crap but I went to see Manic Street Preachers just after their debut album came out and before Richey disappeared. Didn't really know their songs so wasn't what you'd call excited. They played a 55 minute set, no between song chat and no encore.

They were f**king unbelievable!
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Went with work in the late 80's to see Rick Astley as fancied one of the girls going.

I saw Rick Astley about 8 years back actually and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

First 'gig' I ever went to was Rick Astley at Wembley Arena. Me and 3 other 14-year-old girls, accompanied by one girls extremely embarrassed older brother. It was great!
  • Options
    I also took my younger sister and cousin to Take That at Wembley Arena when I was 24 and sister 14. Had to hold one end of their banner that said 'Howard and Robbie are horny devils' as that was tour when they wore flashing devil horns.
  • Options
    Gary Numan and Showaddywaddy ( not on the same bill... and Showaddywaddy was a freebie to chat with the management at The Town and Country Club about another promotion ). Also Cliff Richard for free on Albufeira beach to celebrate the town's 400th anniversary.
  • Options
    Got a freebie to see Big Country at Hammersmith (when it was the Odeon). Right at the front, had no expectations at all. It was a cracking gig.

Saw Toto at Hammersmith as well, again another freebie. They were rather good.

Think the theme here is if its a freebie the enjoyment level rises!
  • Options
    Guns N Roses at the O2 Arena in 2010.

I'm a big fan of their music but had heard the horror stories about them coming on late, playing short sets, Axl Rose having a strop etc. so didn't have expectations that high. Plus the lineup is pretty much a completely different one from that of their heyday.

Yes they were late on (about 10PM), but when they did come on they were fantastic and played a three hour set with no breaks.
  • Options
    not a gig but v festival 2008 i think oasis cancelled about 4 hours before there planned time slot and me and a freind were gutted as it was the only band we really wanted to see, so we went and watched mgmt as a best of a bad bunch sort of thing and were fucking amazing even covered live forever.
  • Options
    Will Young at Glastonbury 2010.
    Absolutely owned the tent. His voice was incredible and despite the fact there was a couple of thousand people there he treated it like it was a 50 person gig. Awesome.
  • Options
    Robbie williams at knebworth I expected to be shit turned out to be the greatest concert I have ever seen
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2013
    The Saw Doctors at Glastonbury circa 1992. Was off my face but have a vague memory of bumping into @rockspectacle in front of the Pyramid Stage.
  • Options
    I saw a Spanish band called Estopa last summer. They're very big in Spain with a mix of Rumba/Pop, which is'nt me at all, but I had a great time and would definately go again (provided my missus can get more free tickets).