Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Question for the Gamers out there

I'm in the market for a games console and, never having had one before, don't know which to get.

Do I go for an existing one and, if yes, which one? Do I wait for the new PS4 or XBox? (I have read that a lot of esxisting games wont play on the new PS4?).

I'll probably be mainly playing motor racing games although that doesn't mean I wont want to get into shooter gamnes in the future.

Please help I am confused.

Comments

• Options
    I'm not really a gamer but if I was I would get this...

http://www.pinrepair.com/arcade/kdriver.htm

i know that's no help whatsoever but how cool would that be especially as you're into racing games.
  • Options
    I suppose it depends on what you wanting to use it for. If you are getting the console to play games (especially offline), I would say go for a PS3 or XBOX 360 as you have a wealth of established games to play already. It will take a few years for developers to get used to the new system and start using its full potential.

For motor racing games, the playstation has the Gran Tourism series which is very good. I've not played the Forza series on XBOX but I hear similarly good things.

Whatever people say about either console they are essentially the same thing but in a different shell. I have a playstation just because that's what I have always had and I prefer the controller.
  • Options
    Top tip from me. If you've never had one, dont bother. Seriously, just think of hour many hours you will waste just sitting there in front of a console. You could be doing something more fulfilling than playing games :)

(I used to play a lot of games until my late 20s, have since sold my XBox and rarely play at all now. Having said that, the ad I saw for Forza 5 on the XBox One last night made it look bloody amazing!)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Top tip from me. If you've never had one, dont bother. Seriously, just think of hour many hours you will waste just sitting there in front of a console. You could be doing something more fulfilling than playing games :)

Yeah put your feet up and watch I'm a celebrity get me out of here insted :)
  • Options
    tough time to get a games console, a xbox 360 will be defunct in a year or so, for a couple of hundred more quid you can get a ps4 that will last for 5 or more years. Depends what you feel is more economical. Personally i would go for a ps4 over xbox one, and this is coming from some one who has a 360 and no ps3.
  • Options
    also, NONE of the 360 games you have will work on xbox one either. Sony have said they're bringing out a game streaming service, which you'll be able to play PS3 games via a cloud service (so not from your game discs). Microsoft may well have something similar in the pipeline but the way they've cocked it up this time round i'd doubt it.

I'd say wait a few months until the prices start to fall and the issues on release have been resolved and then see which one is better for you. Remember this time round you'll have to pay to play online on a ps4 much like you have to pay to play xbox online via xbox live.
  • Options
    I would definitely wait for at least 6 months after launch before purchasing any of them frankly. There's always heavy issues with the first batches, PS4 production has apparently already stopped due to faults (Probably not completely true, but there has been a lot of complaints about the PS4 breaking already). Plus you'll get it a bit cheaper i would think.

Frankly I barely see a difference between the two consoles, and this is coming from someone who normally goes for Xbox. Much of what was different has been rolled back on the Xbox. Frankly i'd look at what games you want to get, for instance there's gunna be exclusive content on the 360 for Fifa and other EA sports games, but if you have friends you wanna play with id suggest getting the ps4 coz at the end of the day that's what's the most fun, pissing about with your friends.
  • Options
    For a first console, you can't dive in to the latest and greatest.

Get a SNES, loads of great games and you'll appreciate the later consoles when you want to upgrade. Nothing will ever feel as satisfying as completing Rainbow Road without falling off and winning gold in the Special Cup on 200cc in Mario Kart.
  • Options
    0.04% of the first ps4 batch have "failed" but there is actually an element user error involved.

My PS3 was bought on the original day of release and has never let me down.

I look forward to collecting my PS4 in the next couple of weeks and having many years of fun
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I tried to convince my son that Sensible Soccer was better than FIFA the other day. He wasn't having any of it!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I tried to convince my son that Sensible Soccer was better than FIFA the other day. He wasn't having any of it!

See, that was a proper football game. I used to love Kick Off when it first came out on the Amiga. Sensible Soccer was a huge step up though :)

• Options
    It worked best with an old fashioned micro switched joystick - rather than a game pad - to do with getting that swerve on the ball.
  • Options
    thanks for the input everyone.

I think I´ll wait and see how the PS4 vs. XBox work out.
  • Options

Best thing to do atm tbh. Ps4 is already ahead IMO being cheaper and more powerful than the xbox, but we'll see.
  • Options
    Ps4 been on pre order this year for me since june

Didn't want the same issue as last year with the ipad mini

Santa will have this nailed on this year

It means the ps3 and all his games come downstairs to me

If your getting anything make sure it has ps and not xbox in the name
  • Options

Best thing to do atm tbh. Ps4 is already ahead IMO being cheaper and more powerful than the xbox, but we'll see.
    Is what I'm doing though will probably get the PS4 (will wait for prices to drop)
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Get a SNES, loads of great games and you'll appreciate the later consoles when you want to upgrade. Nothing will ever feel as satisfying as completing Rainbow Road without falling off and winning gold in the Special Cup on 200cc in Mario Kart.

Or beating a mate in battle mode
  • Options
    I've preordered the xbox one but will end up getting both no doubt. I don't think its fair John for you to say he'll be wasting time - one thing I've learned over the past 5 years is to never judge a person's hobbies. Usually the people who criticise ARE the people who sit in and watch I'm a celebrity. Or spend their money getting battered which to me is a waste. Do what makes you happy!
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

This! If you've never had a games console the SNES is the way to go , you'll get the raw classic gaming experience, playing the games that the nowadays games are based on, super street fighter 2 turbo, by far the best capcom game ever made for example. Mario kart on the SNES is the best even beating the wii imo.
  • Options

I've preordered the xbox one but will end up getting both no doubt. I don't think its fair John for you to say he'll be wasting time - one thing I've learned over the past 5 years is to never judge a person's hobbies. Usually the people who criticise ARE the people who sit in and watch I'm a celebrity. Or spend their money getting battered which to me is a waste. Do what makes you happy!

Yeah, fair point. I chose to give up sitting in front of my XBox to concentrate on getting fit. 3 years later and 5st shed, I know I made the right choice. I still play the occasional game but nothing that will take hours and hours to complete. I remember when CoD2 came out, I was off work with man flu at the time and I literally spent a week playing it non-stop. I just couldnt see myself doing it now. I certainly couldnt justify spending the RRP on some of the games coming out now. They've gone from £40 to £60 in a drop of a hat.

Good luck to those that do, as you say, each to their own. My brother's life is gaming. He spends a fortune on every console and game under the sun and literally doesnt do anything else. The last thing he bought was a Nvidia Shield just so he can play PC games away from his desk. Its a bloody clever piece of kit.

And as for watching I'm a celebrity or getting hammered, I dont do that either :)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20949071 gonna wait for this if it ever comes out!
  • Options
    You only need to watch the South Park episode "Black Friday" they say a lot.
  • Options
    Get a ps3 to start as you can prob pick one up really cheap or maybe a used one with a load of games. Then I highly recommend you get The Last of Us it's an amazing game & flows like your watching a film
  • Options
  • Options
    Wait for ps4 wait for ps4 wait for ps4

4 consoles over a 20 year + time period.

Buy a ps3 by all means but if ur gonna get a console u should just take the 4. Sony have seemingly smashed it again with the specs

but as others have said u should also get a snes, nes and also not bother getting one at all in fact cause youll ruin your.life ;)

I really want to buy the ps4 first day even.tho.my head knows the first batch are always buggy and there are no must have games out yet....
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Just about to watch I'm a Celebrity and tomorrow tonight, will be playing Battlefield 4 on the xbox. Not got time for snobbery.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

See, that was a proper football game. I used to love Kick Off when it first came out on the Amiga. Sensible Soccer was a huge step up though :)

Kick off was made by company Anco owned by the father of Jints who posts on here. Remember playing Tekken on early version of PS1 that his brother had borrowed and was blown away by the game/graphics.
  • Options
    Kick Off was developed by Dino Dini, a stripy Nigel.

Which is why Richard Shaw was on the loading screen and the crowd chanted "EAGLES"

Other than that I agree it was great... better than Sensi in my opinion. Player Manager was perfection (until Champ Manager came along) and Goal! was the best of the lot.

On the Amiga, obviously.
  • Options

Get a ps3 to start as you can prob pick one up really cheap or maybe a used one with a load of games. Then I highly recommend you get The Last of Us it's an amazing game & flows like your watching a film

I can get a 500GB PS3 on preorder with GT6 and The Last of Us for silly money on Amazon. I think I'll go with that.

Read on a review site yesterday that it will probably take 2 - 3 years before the PS4 is up to 100% with bugs, potential and a full complement of games.