Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

I Just Cannot Believe That (Or Can I) .. Watching Televised Fiction

There is an old saying (don't ask who first said it) that when reading fiction, watching movies or TV, belief should be suspended, poetic licence should be granted and far fetched plots, even those stretched to the limit, should be allowed lots of leeway. It is fantasy/fiction after all.
I have just finished watching 'The Escape Artist' on iPlayer. Plots aplenty, coincidences and factual inaccuracies allowed to stand .. BUT .. towards the middle of the last episode, the protagonist is filmed driving past a remote petrol station somewhere in the Scottish borders. Clearly visible is a sign stating .. Unleaded petrol 113 and Diesel 117 per litre ..
M'lord, this is just stretching suspension of belief much too far .. unless .. Just how long does the BBC keep these mini-series in the can before showing them ?

Comments

• Options
    Cost of living is much cheaper up there.............. ;-)
  • Options
    A lot of the final episode was bull. He poisoned him instead of giving the antedote & yet this didn't show up in the autopsy or there was no autopsy etc.
  • Options

A lot of the final episode was bull. He poisoned him instead of giving the antedote & yet this didn't show up in the autopsy or there was no autopsy etc.

agreed, the whole series was a load of tosh, but mildly entertaining tosh .. but the petrol prices ! .. like something out of 'Life On Mars'
  • Options
    Maybe the petrol station closed years ago?
  • Options
    He didn't poison him though he just injected more 'crab juice' into his body.

Admittedly, the level of anaphylactic shock against the amount of allergen on the knife should have been questioned.
  • Options

Maybe the petrol station closed years ago?

that occurred to me after I posted ... petrol has not been sold @113 for (I would guess) 5-8 years at least .. I am sure that the programme was not filmed/produced that long ago .. perhaps it was a prop installed by someone with nostalgic wishful thinking or no idea of the cost of living ...

and on the poisoning point .. if one injects a 'victim' with what is generally a harmless substance, yet the injector is aware that the substance is very harmful/potentially lethal to his particular victim .. is this murder ?, manslaughter ? .. or what
  • Options
    "Not Proven".
    ;-)
  • Options

"Not Proven".
    ;-)

interesting .. 15 man jury in Scotland .. strictly majority verdicts .. and a choice of 3 .. guilty, not guilty or not proven .. the latter leading to (what in England) would be double jeopardy if further evidence comes to light

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_by_jury_in_Scotland