Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

8 Haunting Photographs Of Derelict East London Pubs

Guessing some of you guys will know most of these pubs.... when you think about all the good times that went on in these places... all the people and revelry... so haunting to see them just standing there, rotting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11/15/photos-of-east-end-pubs_n_4284135.html

Comments

• Options
    East London! Woolwich & Charlton!!!

Good link though.
  • Options
    Funny to see two pubs south of the river under that title - although that's an old debate!
    That aside, the Crown and Cushion is now demolished. The Victoria on Woolwich road looks like it will fall over of someone lent on it. A bit like the old Watermans Arms, with its sloping bar!
  • Options
    Woolwich and Charlton are more in the East of London than South or South East. You only have to look at a map. Forget postcodes and don't take the river as a dividing line between North and South becasuse it quite clearly isn't.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    why forget postcodes? South East for me.

We are a south east london club.
  • Options
    Why forget postcodes? Because they are just there to help the Post Office.

Call yourself what you like but don't pick up on things that are factually correct just because you don't like it.

As Gary Lineker correctly stated on MOTD, when we play West Ham it IS an East London derby.
  • Options
    each to their own ... enjoy the fishing
  • Options
    The one in Charlton closed down in about 2002 I think?? Happy to be corrected.

Can anyone remember the name of the pub opposite the Antigaligan? The one that was bulldozed to make the road wider?? Thanks
  • Options
    Watermans arms
  • Options

Can anyone remember the name of the pub opposite the Antigaligan? The one that was bulldozed to make the road wider?? Thanks

Funny to see two pubs south of the river under that title - although that's an old debate!
    That aside, the Crown and Cushion is now demolished. The Victoria on Woolwich road looks like it will fall over of someone lent on it. A bit like the old Watermans Arms, with its sloping bar!

• Options

The Galigan ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Always sad to see pubs down and out. Many of those pictured would have been full of men out of the factories and docks after work and on Saturday lunchtime. No call for pubs like that anymore even when they have turned the factory sites and warehouses into posh flats.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Woolwich and Charlton are more in the East of London than South or South East. You only have to look at a map. Forget postcodes and don't take the river as a dividing line between North and South becasuse it quite clearly isn't.

Why on earth would you not take the river as a dividing line? It's as big a dividing line as you could have. It's a massive physical barrier running straight through the middle of London separating north and south...
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

each to their own ... enjoy the fishing

Not fishing for anything, just a particular bugbear of mine. Something I have consistently mentioned on here for many years.
  • Options
    Amazingly, the Tidal Basin Tavern is still standing, derelict behind hoardings, amid all the new Docklands developments - at least it was when I last looked about a year ago. I played drums in a band there regularly in the late 1970s.
  • Options
    I always wondered who wrote pnb instead of pub on the side of the Vic.
  • Options
    Back in 1970 I played with a heavy metal band in the Victoria. We were crap and very loud...the upshot of this was the Landlord having a heart attack.

We didn't get asked back.

• Options
    The Crown and cushion was the best pub in sth east London for a long while, when ken owned it , it lasted a fair bit after but was never the same

average drinking age I reckon was 19 tops, full of fit young ladies and an array of Woolwich and Charlton's finest youth

mixed in with the squaddie fights from the boys on the common, mainly due to the fact we were banging more of the nurses from the army hospital, and getting into the nurses qtrs when they weren't allowed

great darts and pool team, but most of all the boozer was like a football club, not a lot of in fighting but a general sticking together if people came in looking for a go

late night drinking was standard and waking up on a sofa with a blanket over you was a regular norm
  • Options
    On a tenuously related note, if you like the awe of the desolation thing - I give you, the Accidental Sea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otIU6Py4K_A
  • Options

Something that you've probably experienced quite a bit I'd imagine....... ;-)
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Something that you've probably experienced quite a bit I'd imagine....... ;-)
    I'm not giving up mate...just stay tuned for my stunning pensioner music vid.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dunno about "haunting". You take a picture of more or less anything in that style and you could call it haunting.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

I dunno about "haunting". You take a picture of more or less anything in that style and you could call it haunting.

At 6' 1' and only nine and a half stone you've got it about right there mate :-)

• Options
    Riviera said:

New one on me but I'll bite.
    I was born in Plumstead, to the best of my knowledge no one has ever said I come from east London.
    Plumstead is south of the Thames and east of Charing Cross. South East London is a discription that people would use, like wise for Charlton & Woolwich.
    Anything north of the Thames is the north.

• Options
    But does it matter if some people say east or south east...well obviously it does, but I can't understand why it should.
  • Options
    i was told that it was always based on what you said charltonkeston, I was then told it was based on your position from the inner city part, but I have never accepted or heard anyone other than chirpy say the east London bit
  • Options

But does it matter if some people say east or south east...well obviously it does, but I can't understand why it should.

It matters (probably more to Londoners to be fair), because if you told someone you were from East London and you were, from say, Woolwich, it would be misleading. Yes, geographically Woolwich, Plumstead etc are east of London, but we're south of the river. The big divide! NLA is right, with the position from London City.
  • Options

Look lads, I'm not saying that Charlton or Woolwich or Plumstead even should now be classified as East London and have postcodes like E7 and E18. My point is that when something like Linekergate or the link above occur people just need to calm down a bit.
    If you look at a map of London and find Charlton you can see that it is on the East side of London, that is a fact. It's not south at all is it? The River Thames is conveniently used by some as a north/south divide but it's hardly equal is it? What's the postcode in Chelsea? SW something. Is Chelsea south of the Thames? No of course it's not. Kensington is also known as being in South West London but it is also north of the Thames. Postcodes are for the POST OFFICE, no one else.
    Don't forget far more true Cockneys are born south of the river than North these days.

It's not just here, look at the weekends news. Storms in Kentucky, Illinois and Indiana. This area is described by all the media, over here and over there as the "Mid West". Take a look at a map of USA and see how far west these three states are. As about as West as Charlton is, in fact they are quite positively East! But in the good ol' US of A anything between the Rocky's and the Great Plains of Ohio is considered to be in the "Mid West". So count yourself lucky!
  • Options

It matters (probably more to Londoners to be fair), because if you told someone you were from East London and you were, from say, Woolwich, it would be misleading. Yes, geographically Woolwich, Plumstead etc are east of London, but we're south of the river. The big divide! NLA is right, with the position from London City.
    To add to the confusion North Woolwich is in east London !.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Look lads, I'm not saying that Charlton or Woolwich or Plumstead even should now be classified as East London and have postcodes like E7 and E18. My point is that when something like Linekergate or the link above occur people just need to calm down a bit.
    If you look at a map of London and find Charlton you can see that it is on the East side of London, that is a fact. It's not south at all is it? The River Thames is conveniently used by some as a north/south divide but it's hardly equal is it? What's the postcode in Chelsea? SW something. Is Chelsea south of the Thames? No of course it's not. Kensington is also known as being in South West London but it is also north of the Thames. Postcodes are for the POST OFFICE, no one else.
    Don't forget far more true Cockneys are born south of the river than North these days.

It's not just here, look at the weekends news. Storms in Kentucky, Illinois and Indiana. This area is described by all the media, over here and over there as the "Mid West". Take a look at a map of USA and see how far west these three states are. As about as West as Charlton is, in fact they are quite positively East! But in the good ol' US of A anything between the Rocky's and the Great Plains of Ohio is considered to be in the "Mid West". So count yourself lucky!

Charlton is East South East
  • Options

To add to the confusion North Woolwich is in east London !.
    I remember reading that this did come under the juristiction of Woolwich council years ago. Not now though.