Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jubilee Line Pub Crawl

A group of us at work have started a series of pub crawls based on tube lines. We've already done the District and Central lines. I've volunteered to organise the next one, and will probably make it The Jubilee Line (unless anyone has any better suggestions). So, if anyone has recommendations for pubs and or other points of interest (as long as they don't stop us drinking for more than 10 mins) that would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, here's a few notes:
- All pubs should be within easy walking distance of a Jubilee line station.
- All pubs must serve real ale.
- We're a bunch of old fogeys, so we don't want anything trendy or modern. Similarly nothing too pricey, unless it's really special.
- Pubs with interesting histories/architecture/features etc. especially appreciated.
- We'll probably be going in February, so I don't think we'll be interested in pub gardens.

Cheers,

Stig

Comments

• Options
    The Circle Line is the one to do...
  • Options
    Good luck with this. Personally, I'd make the Jube the last line for a pub crawl as I think you'll find the stations on the eastern section a real challenge if you're after real ale and/or decent pubs. Won't be very enjoyable after London Bridge.

SLL might have a suggestion around the Blue for Bermondsey? Closest pub is the Gregorian but that's all fizz, although not a bad pub at all. Went there before and after the game last December.

Canada Water will have to be the Wetherspoons at Surrey Docks I think.

Canary Wharf won't easily fit your criterion of "nothing too pricey" so a 10 minute walk to Wetherspoons appears likely. Or The Gun in the opposite direction, again a 10 minute walk. Pricey but a bit of character.

For North Greenwich there's The Pilot but it's a good 10 mins walk and was closed for refurbishment last time I looked. Otherwise you're into the O2 emporia, and that's no-one's idea of fun.

I can't recall any decent pubs anywhere near Canning Town and West Ham stations but it's been a while since I've been there.

Stratford has some boozers on the high street but they don't look great, although there's probably a gem in there somewhere
  • Options
    For the Southwark stop, have a pint at the Lord Nelson on Union St, looks like a real dive, but is a unique boozer...
  • Options

For the Southwark stop, have a pint at the Lord Nelson on Union St, looks like a real dive, but is a unique boozer...

I second that.

I think the Pilot is close enough at N Greenwich, if open. But I agree, tbe East is a challenge.

Wheatsheaf, Sheaf, George or Old Kings Head at London Bridge.

Kings Arms close enough to Waterloo? Hope so, they've really sorted out their ales.

• Options
    Kilburn - the North London Tavern and see the murals under the station arch.
  • Options
    Swiss Cottage - the Swiss cottage pub

Finchley Road - Walkabout or there's a Whetherspoons in the O2 centre

Baker Street - The Globe

St John's wood - not a lot within striking distance

• Options
    This link is a bit old so you may need to check if the pubs are still open.

http://www.stevo.force9.co.uk/jubilee.html
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thanks very much for the suggestions, everyone I'll look into these. I think it would only be right and proper if I tested them myself first, before dragging my friends along ;-) At some point we'll do the Circle, but I thought that there might be a lot of cross-over with the District which we've just done; although, of course we've not been near the northern section yet. To be honest, we're not that worried about missing sections of the line out. We're not that train-spotterish that we need to visit every station, we just want 6-7 quality pubs to visit.

Vincenzo, I was wondering about The Barrowboy and Banker (but it's a while since I've been) and The Anchor (I've never been) near London Bridge. Are they no good? Seeing as you recommended four others, I guess not.
  • Options
    I'd give the Anchor a very wide bearth mate. It looks great from the outside, but has long been one of the worst pubs in London in my book.

If you're planning on doing it on a weekday I'd recommend the Thornbury Castle for Baker Street. Decent boozer, friendly staff and always four or five unusual ales on - plus some hearty pub grub. (Think it's shut on the weekend though). Oh and the barmaid in there has a cracking set of Bristols that are often on display!
  • Options
    Cheers Offy, yes it will be a weekday. Almost certainly a Friday. Thornbury Castle sounding good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

I'd give the Anchor a very wide bearth mate. It looks great from the outside, but has long been one of the worst pubs in London in my book.

Totally agree. London Bridge has some cracking pubs, but this isn't one of them.

For something a bit quirky, I'd suggest The Rake near Borough Market
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Kings Arms close enough to Waterloo? Hope so, they've really sorted out their ales.

A few of us go there after every home game. Only 5 mins from Waterloo station. Quality boozer.
  • Options
    The Hole in The Wall at Waterloo used to be the place for ales.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Cheers Offy, yes it will be a weekday. Almost certainly a Friday. Thornbury Castle sounding good.

http://www.thornburycastle.uk.com/
  • Options
    The Ring is the closest pub to Southwark Station and the Prince William Henry isn't far away. However I'd suggest walking between Southwark and Waterloo Stations and visit the Rose and Crown in Colombo Street (Southwark) and The Kings Arms in Roupell Street (Waterloo). Unless walking is cheating!
  • Options
    Ye Grapes in Shepherds Market (Green Park), not been there for a few years but always used to serve a nice pint...
  • Options
    Nothing from wembley onwards
  • Options
    Do the old fleet st one some cracking boozers in that
  • Options

The Ring is the closest pub to Southwark Station and the Prince William Henry isn't far away. However I'd suggest walking between Southwark and Waterloo Stations and visit the Rose and Crown in Colombo Street (Southwark) and The Kings Arms in Roupell Street (Waterloo). Unless walking is cheating!

No, walking is fine. Cheers.
  • Options

Do the old fleet st one some cracking boozers in that

When we did the Central line we dropped down to Fleet Street. Did the Cheshire Cheese and Ye Olde Cock, both very good. Might do the George when we go back to do the Circle line.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't forget the tipperary
  • Options
    But that's a long way isn't it ;-)
  • Options
    Tis indeed

8)
  • Options
    Stig said:

Thanks very much for the suggestions, everyone I'll look into these. I think it would only be right and proper if I tested them myself first, before dragging my friends along ;-) At some point we'll do the Circle, but I thought that there might be a lot of cross-over with the District which we've just done; although, of course we've not been near the northern section yet. To be honest, we're not that worried about missing sections of the line out. We're not that train-spotterish that we need to visit every station, we just want 6-7 quality pubs to visit.

Vincenzo, I was wondering about The Barrowboy and Banker (but it's a while since I've been) and The Anchor (I've never been) near London Bridge. Are they no good? Seeing as you recommended four others, I guess not.

The Barrowboy is OK, but full of suits due to its location. The others are more likely to have a bit more local character. Actually, I'd strike the Wheatsheaf on Stoney Street off these days, unless you're under 23. Its lost its soul since the refurb and is no longer the market pub it was. I should have said the Market Porter instead. Best pint in the area.

The Anchor has a great location on the river but consequently gets a lot of tourists. I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
  • Options
    Noss said:

Off_it said:

Totally agree. London Bridge has some cracking pubs, but this isn't one of them.

For something a bit quirky, I'd suggest The Rake near Borough Market
    Good shout! You can count on The Rake for good ale.

• Options
    Solidgone said:

Swiss Cottage - the Swiss cottage pub

Finchley Road - Walkabout or there's a Whetherspoons in the O2 centre

Baker Street - The Globe

St John's wood - not a lot within striking distance

Not sure I agree about St John's Wood. There's loads of cracking pubs not that far from the station if you know where they are. Try my favourite - the Ordnance Arms. Maybe about 5 minutes walk from the station.
  • Options
    Stig - There are some good recommendations on this thread, though the Jubilee line isn't the best for taking you to the most interesting pubs, and beware that on a Friday night many pubs will be packed to the doors.

I especially endorse the George, in a courtyard off Borough High Street, just a couple of minutes from London Bridge station: it was rebuilt in 1676 and is the last remaining galleried inn in London. The room nearest the street - the Parliament Bar - is the oldest, with some woodwork that may be original: full-height panelling and simple fixed seating, an ancient fireplace and a large one-handed clock. Note also the remarkable glazed-in servery with a now-disused rare set of Victorian 'cash-register'-style handpumps.

Others on here rightly direct you to the King's Arms in Roupell Street, between Southwark and Waterloo stations. The narrow street itself is flanked with dark-brick terraced cottages - like Coronation Street! - and note the converted Victorian shops on each corner of the junction where the pub stands.

At Westminster, you could try the St Stephen's Tavern, right outside the station and opposite the Houses of Parliament, with grand late-Victorian fittings including a magnificent carved bar-back incorporating etched and gilded mirrors depicting swirly foliage and birds in flight. The pub was built in 1875 and sensitively restored by Hall & Woodhouse in 2003.

For Victorian mirrors, one of the most spectacular pubs in all of London is the Red Lion, in Duke of York Street, about five minutes' walk from Green Park station. The interior is small, but in the rear section superb etched and cut mirrors create brilliant, glittering reflections, and make the pub seem larger than it is.

For detailed descriptions and splendid photos, I recommend two books: 'London Heritage Pubs - An Inside Story' by Geoff Brandwood and Jane Jephcote, and 'Britain's Best Real Heritage Pubs' by Geoff Brandwood - both available cheaply through Amazon. Cheers!
  • Options
    This thread has made me thirsty.

God, I love pubs!
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

This thread has made me thirsty.

God, I love pubs!

best Guinness in London imo was served to me in the Tipperary on that old fleet street pub crawl and I go back there whenever I can,

• Options
    Thanks very much for the comprehensive write up Viewfinder. For me, that historical/architectural background makes it all the more interesting. This is a major part of our heritage.

The St Stephen's Tavern, and The Red Lion just around the corner, were on my reserve list when I started this thread. But a couple of my colleagues and I sometimes work in Westminster, so we're already familiar with those. Without wanting to put anyone else off of posting, I think that there's more than enough pubs on the list not to go to these two now - perhaps they can be on the reserve list for when we start thinking about the Circle Line tour. Then again, we might not want to be so close to work ;-)