Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Addicks star Holland available for Ireland

"Borrowed" from eleven a side.com

September 25, 2006

Charlton Athletic midfielder Matt Holland has told Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton that he will be available for selection for the forthcoming Euro 2008 qualifiers against Cyprus and the Czech Republic.

Holland, 32, announced his retirement from the international game 12 months ago after the failure to qualify for the World Cup finals in Germany.

With Roy Keane’s time in the green jersey also coming to an end at that time, rookie boss Staunton has been forced to mould a new-look central midfield partnership, with Kevin Kilbane and John O’Shea paired together against the Germans in Stan’s first competitive game in charge earlier this month.

That partnership failed to make any in-roads against the World Cup semi-finalists, however, and Steven Reid, another option for a central role, is rated doubtful with a back problem.

So Holland could yet return to the fold, although he insists that any comeback will only be a temporary one in the case of an emergency.

He said: “I still think I did the right thing to retire when I did, and I would like to emphasise that I am not coming out of retirement, but I would be ready and willing to pull on the green jersey again in an emergency situation.

“It strikes me that a serious injury crisis or some other unforeseen circumstance could crop up that Steve is in desperate need of a midfielder to fill the breach. If such a situation should happen, I want him to know that I am available to answer the call.”

I bet Stauton is well chuffed!!

Comments

• “It strikes me that a serious injury crisis or some other unforeseen circumstance could crop up that Steve is in desperate need of a midfielder to fill the breach. If such a situation should happen, I want him to know that I am available to answer the call.”

It would have to be a very serious injury crisis to get that desperate! Much like ours at the moment.