Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    For anyone that way inclined, I'm told there is a micro pub similar to The Door Hinge, openning in Westmount Rd Eltham in the very near future.
  • Options
    You're absolutely right Charlton Charlie that smoked beer is delicious, but it's not an easy drink. Although it's only 5.1%, the flavour and the richness mean that you can't just knock it back.
  • Options

For anyone that way inclined, I'm told there is a micro pub similar to The Door Hinge, openning in Westmount Rd Eltham in the very near future.

Also one opening in Crayford called the Penny Farthing

• Options

The Penny Farthing opens next Thursday.
    The Long Pond, Westmount Road, SE9, due to open end of October.
    Planning permission recently submitted for The Broken Drum in Blackfen.

It's the future!
  • Options

It's the future!
    I didn't think a pub or restaurant would be granted planning permission in that part of Eltham. Something to do with the developer of that land, William Corbett and the rules he laid down. Sounds good for those in that area though, as there's not a lot a great deal of choice there.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

It's the future!
    I didn't think a pub or restaurant would be granted planning permission in that part of Eltham. Something to do with the developer of that land, William Corbett and the rules he laid down.
    It was Archibald Cameron Corbett actually and his rules no longer hold water legally. Planning permission was granted for The Long Pond back in July.

Planning and licencing applications are now dealt with under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and the Licencing Act 2003 (implemented 2005) respectively and neither of these legislative processes
    take historical restrictive covenants on land into consideration. Before the 2003 act, licences were granted by local magistrates and all objections were considered and such covenants would certainly have been one of them. The new law has streamlined the licencing process and the decision now lies with the local authority, in this case Royal Greenwich. Now the applicant has to convince the council that they will uphold the four licencing objectives:

1) Prevention of crime and disorder
    2) Public safety
    3) Prevention of public nuisance
    4) Protection of children from harm

If this is satisfied and the police have no issue with the applicant personally a licence will be granted.
  • Options
    Bloody marvellous old place getting a new lease of life. Margate is on the way back !

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Margate-pub-turned-micro-brewery/story-22878485-detail/story.html
  • Options

That's correct. It's gonna be called The Long Pond and you're sure to receive a warm welcome as the owner is a Charlton fan.
    Opening night not yet decided, but I'll put a note up when confirmed.

• Options
    If you see this, do yourself a flavour, buy it and drink it.
    Mmmmm
  • Options

It's the future!
    I didn't think a pub or restaurant would be granted planning permission in that part of Eltham. Something to do with the developer of that land, William Corbett and the rules he laid down.
    It was Archibald Cameron Corbett actually and his rules no longer hold water legally. Planning permission was granted for The Long Pond back in July.

Planning and licencing applications are now dealt with under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 and the Licencing Act 2003 (implemented 2005) respectively and neither of these legislative processes
    take historical restrictive covenants on land into consideration. Before the 2003 act, licences were granted by local magistrates and all objections were considered and such covenants would certainly have been one of them. The new law has streamlined the licencing process and the decision now lies with the local authority, in this case Royal Greenwich. Now the applicant has to convince the council that they will uphold the four licencing objectives:

2) Public safety

If this is satisfied and the police have no issue with the applicant personally a licence will be granted.
    Thanks for that Nomadic. Shame I don't live in Eltham anymore and have that on the doorstep.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's the future!

2) Public safety

Thanks for that Nomadic. Shame I don't live in Eltham anymore and have that on the doorstep.
    96 to Welling and then get the B16 which stops outside where The Long Pond will be.
  • Options

That's correct. It's gonna be called The Long Pond and you're sure to receive a warm welcome as the owner is a Charlton fan.

Is it going to be in the shop that used to be the plumbers?

• Options

I believe so.

• Options
    Just got back from 3 days in Ypres, doing the 1st World War sites, memorials and cemeteries (so humbling by the way).

Tried a few of the different Belgian brews whilst there, including Trappist stuff. Whilst most of it is like rocket fuel I just love the flavour, both blonde and dark. www.beersofeurope is a great site to order overseas stuff, not just Europe.
  • Options
    Bld_10a said:

Margate is on the way back !

I'm not sure it is....

But that is cool about the microbrewery, be good to try it out.
  • Options

I'm not sure it is....

They (Thanet DC) were going to bulldoze the old town a few years back. What an amazing bit of town planning ! (C*nts!)
    Any kind of 'green shoots' activity is welcomed.
    Things are changing,just not as quick as some would like,it's my old home town - it get's me down !(sometimes).
    The kick starts - Turner and Dreamland.
    it will be re-recognised but just not in my lifetime,in the meantime we have memories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEvkpyFxHp8

• Options
    Interesting about Blackfen (whereabouts?) think there is a covenant on Falconwood area too.
  • Options
    razil said:

Interesting about Blackfen (whereabouts?) think there is a covenant on Falconwood area too.

On the small parade of shops on Westwood Lane opposite Safeways/Morrisons/Co-op. As explained above, restrictive covenants on land are not a consideration on planning or licensing issues today.
  • Options
    right next to the other pub? (never been in there despite having lived this way for a number of years now)
  • Options
    razil said:

right next to the other pub? (never been in there despite having lived this way for a number of years now)

You mean The Woodman or as it is now called, The George Staples? Yes just by that. A well run micropub could open next door to the majority of modern pubs and do very well. It is the state of the modern pub that has given birth to the micropub movement.
    The Door Hinge in Welling is surrounded by pubs like The Rose and The Guy, and it is doing a roaring trade and recently won Bexley CAMRA's Pub of the Year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It's the future!
    Planning permission granted for The Broken Drum on 5/9/14
  • Options
    And license application notice for the westmount rd one in this weeks greenwich times.
    Definitely recognise the name of the applicant from on here.
  • Options
    Noticed that a new Micro pub has opened in Gillingham, called Past & Present.
  • Options
    One Inn the Wood in Petts Wood opened in May, well worth a visit.
  • Options
    I'm going here on Friday. Can't wait! http://www.chappelbeerfestival.org.uk
  • Options
    The Long Pond seems to have attracted some interest on twitter this week.
  • Options

I believe so.

Yes it is that shop

My sister knows the owner and thinks he posts on here.

Hope it will be open before Christmas, really looking forward to popping down there when I'm over to see the family

• Options
    edited September 2014

I believe so.

Yes it is that shop

My sister knows the owner and thinks he posts on here.

>

I believe so.

He used to but too busy now he tells me. Hopes to be open by the end of November.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    60% of all beer now sold in UK pubs is cask conditioned.