Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beer

Comments

• Addickted said:

Wetherspoon pubs across the UK are today cutting the price of a pint. The pubs have reduced the price of a pint of real ale by an average of 20p.

More than 600 of the company’s pubs are now serving a pint of Ruddles (brewed by Greene King) for £1.69.

A further 160 pubs will be offering a pint for £1.59 or below, including 36 pubs which will be serving a pint for £1.39.

The remaining pubs will serve a pint between £1.99 and £2.89, depending on the individual pub’s location, including pubs in Central London.

Pubs which do not serve Ruddles will serve either Greene King IPA or Caledonian Deuchars.

It's all part of his anti EU policy.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/business/wetherspoons-cuts-price-of-pint-of-beer-by-average-of-20p-from-today/ar-AAGTCc4?li=BBoPWjQ
  • Tim Martin, supporting British business by buying beer from a Chinese company... Or a Dutch one where they sell Deuchars.  
  • Christ Ruddles.
    @PopIcon yeah it’s been left behind in my opinion. Hope they can move with the times, did great work fighting against dross years ago.
    @ElfsborgAddick Shakespeare is good, gardeners is as well for cask with a great location on the river. Kelham Island tavern has added great keg to its fantastic cask offering, bar stewards has superb keg.
    Perhaps you may like to join us in February?
  • Trillium’s annual salute to “Moving Day” is one of their best offerings. 

• This weeks highlights in beer

Huckster Cyro - NEIPA - Abbeydale
    Pale ale mosiac - Kernal 
    Hallo Ich Bin Berliner Weisse Rasberry - Mikkeller 
    Ten dollar shake - milkshake IPA - Siren
    Everyone was spinning - Black IPA- Verdant x Buxton
    Northern powerhouse 5 - West coast IPA - Northern monk x Buxton
    Northern powerhouse 4 - Tropical sour IPA - Northern monk x Wylam
    The unimportance of inertia - PA - Wylam
    Hamarik- Baltic imperial porter - Pohjala (Estonia) x Other half (NY) 
    La Jolla - Imperial stout - Track x Modern times (San Diego) 
    Dangerously close to stupid- Imperial IPA - Tool (Denmark)
    You’ve been spotted - Imperial stout - cloudwater x Kees (Netherlands)

Happy birthday to Kernal, one of London’s finest 🍻
  • edited September 2019

A couple of my Birmingham mates went to the game yesterday.

I suggested here as only 3 minutes walk from Maze Hill station and ultimately 10 minutes from the ground when leaving the boozer.

We got there for 13.30 and given how scarce boozers are in Charlton I was amazed to see(seemingly) zero Charlton fans in there, around a dozen from Birmingham managed it though.
  • The swan was v quiet yesterday 

• A couple of my Birmingham mates went to the game yesterday.

I suggested here as only 3 minutes walk from Maze Hill station and ultimately 10 minutes from the ground when leaving the boozer.

We got there for 13.30 and given how scarce boozers are in Charlton I was amazed to see(seemingly) zero Charlton fans in there, around a dozen from Birmingham managed it though.
    Love the Plume. Always amazes me why more Charlton don’t drink in Greenwich.

• A couple of my Birmingham mates went to the game yesterday.

Love the Plume. Always amazes me why more Charlton don’t drink in Greenwich.
    The Vanbrugh was decent as well, I was in there whilst the first half was on.

You could leave there and the 14.50 from Maze Hill and still be in your seat for kick off.
  • Tried the Põhjala Cocobanger the other day, a coffee and coconut stout. 12.5% and you paid the price for it. Nothing like I’ve ever had before, almost like a slightly fizzy maple syrup consistency but was drinkable if you like the taste of it. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2019
    In NY for the weekend and they have something I’ve not seen in New England.  Beer shops, selling bottles & cans to go, but also with 10-12 taps so you can drink like a bar. 

Anything like that in(Old) England? I’ve found a few of these, and they generally have decent beer 
  • Here’s a picture. There are more cold cabinets behind me. 

• In a word yes.

Beer of the week so far Neale’s sour - five fruit gose - northern monk
  • In NY for the weekend and they have something I’ve not seen in New England.  Beer shops, selling bottles & cans to go, but also with 10-12 taps so you can drink like a bar. 

Anything like that in(Old) England? I’ve found a few of these, and they generally have decent beer 
    It's seems to be recent and of the "craft beer" variety but yeah, couple of micropubs near me fall into this description. They are great!
  • edited September 2019
    In NY again, and that means another trip to Other Half, but this time I went prepared. 

• edited September 2019
    My local has just invested in it's own canning machine behind the jump. Not really designed to keep for long from what I'm told. It's more of an effort to ditch their take home plastic containers.

• Riviera said:
    Riviera said:
    I wish you could as well @LenGlover. I'd love to bar you!  
    Was chatting to a friend yesterday...lived in Eltham as I did (98-2005) and I told him about your place and he asked me how you could open a bar in that particular part of Eltham as he thought that there was a by-law that stated that no establishment selling alcohol was allowed in the area.
    The 2003 Licencing Act changed everything. Licences used to be granted by the local magistrate, he would take into account such things as restrictive covenants like what still exists on Eltham Park. The government moved licencing to the local authority (Royal Greenwich)  who set up licencing departments. They also streamlined the opposition process. They introduced the Four Licencing Objectives that any potential licencee had to prove he would adhere to.  
    • the prevention of crime and disorder.
    • public safety.
    • the prevention of public nuisance.
    • the protection of children from harm  If you satisfied the department that you could uphold these then you get a licence, as long as the police do not object (they have a veto).
    • So any objections had to fall into one of those categories and old covenants do not.  Restrictive covenants are also not considered for planning permission under the 1992 Town & Country Planning Act. 
    Shame you weren't there when I lived in Eltham...by the sounds of it I'd be a regular.
    He probably was, but wouldn't have been able to open a pub. Much of  Eltham Park is an estate built by the Quakers (i was born and raised there and my family are still there). In many ways the estate is an admirable symbol of post war Britain, providing the opportunity for people from a working class background to become property owners, but with it came this religious opposition to alcohol. Eltham became a symbol of Britain's absurd relationship with alcohol. No pub within walking distance in Eltham Park, but in the High Street some 17 of them providing great opportunities for schoolkids like me to go on a pub crawl and get completely shitfaced.

He's too modest to admit it, but a lot of people there credit Riviera's pub with the  regeneration of Westmount Road, the sort of street that many say has no future for commercial services which benefit the community.  
    Very well said. It's a really good place and has linked up the community. 

I also ventured to the hanger in sidcup recently which is my mates local. Its run by addicks too and is really good. 
    Hanger opening at 11:00 this morning. Showing the rugby should anyone be interested.
  • Just ordered my Beer Hawk advent calendar. The one and only bit of foreplanning that will happen until a panicked shop on Christmas Eve. Priorities.
  • Went to a beer spa on a recent holiday.
  • Seems like a waste of beer!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Orpheus 'plants have no memories' now my all time favourite, overtaking Boon Marriage Parfait. Was weaned on Young's Ordinary until they relocated to Bedford. Summer Lightening still decent.
  • Others may have mentioned it before not sure.....but went to The Wellington in Birmingham ( 5 mins from New Street station ) yesterday. Well worth a visit, a decent selection of ales.
  • edited September 2019
    Anyone tried Billericay's Chilli Porter? Very warming, might be an ideal brew for the winter months.
  • Stig said:
    Anyone tried Billericay's Chilli Porter? Very warming, might be an idea brew for the winter months.
    No but sounds like one I'd like to try. 
  • Wiper and True, really smooth milk stout from Bristol :smiley:
  • Just interested. If anyone else drunk the John smiths in the west lower, did they have the $hits ?!? If I have worked this out correctly, the London pride in the red barn was a new barrel( not a regular, so don't know if she cleans her pipes), so don't think it was that. Not the bottle of heinken before or the bottle of speckled hen or asahi after. I think the offending culprit was the pint of John smiths at half time. Thinking of sending a "stinking" letter to the new caterers. Made the crapper with seconds to spare !
  • Could it have been clinging on to a win with only 28% possession that gave you the shits?  ;)
  • Lol, could've been. Was definitely tense at end. Will look out for that chilli porter. Am bang into porters at moment. Bexley brewery do a porter with a hint of rum,Its gorgeous. 
  • We went to Deptford en route to the game yesterday and had some excellent beer in the Villages Brewery Tap and the Little Faith Taproom - a 2 and 5 minute walk respectively from the station. Rafiki in Villages and one of their own beers in Little Faith (maybe El Dorado). Both very fine establishments, a bit off the beaten track and well worth a visit. When you add The Dog & Bell, the area is exceptionally well served.

Sadly, with the demise of the Hop Stuff Brewery - purchased by Molson Coors in administration - the beer offering in the Taproom SE8 by the station is likely to suffer. We gave that a swerve in the interests of supporting the independents. We arrived at 11:45 before Villages opened at noon and did consider a swift half in ‘The Job Centre’, although in the light of a complete absence of customers and an advertisement outside for kale gnocchi, thought better of it.
  • In Liverpool at the moment, this place is on Paradise Street!  Ffs we're talking Liverpool here, although tbf this city is fantastic for a weekend away.

Still retaining a spit n sawdust boozer, and an expensive pint is £4.