Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Oggy Red said:

PopIcon said:

Riviera said:

Stig said:

Baltic Trader 10.5% really sweet. Gorgeous beer.

That's not beer at 10.5%!
    Imperial Russian Stout.
    I remember back in the 1970s drinking Courage bottled Imperial Russian Stout.
    Hadn't seen it since - had no idea it was available again.

Various breweries have had a go at Imperial Russian Stout, not sure who is making it now. I bought the Harvey's version about 10 years ago, which was very good.

Courage have done a few brews since they officially stopped making it in 1993 (approx.). I still have a bottle from '93, last time I opened one it was gorgeous.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

Oggy Red said:

PopIcon said:

Riviera said:

Stig said:

Imperial Russian Stout.

Various breweries have had a go at Imperial Russian Stout, not sure who is making it now. I bought the Harvey's version about 10 years ago, which was very good.

Courage have done a few brews since they officially stopped making it in 1993 (approx.). I still have a bottle from '93, last time I opened one it was gorgeous.
    Courage haven't brewed anything for years sadly. Name owned by Marstons now, along with Youngs, Charles Wells, Breakspears, Wytchwood Hobgoblin, Bass, Tetley, Carlsberg, Ringwood, McEwans and Banks. A shocking domination.
  • Options
    What Are people drinking to celebrate the end of the nightmare? (And no, that doesn't mean I'm in the seat)

Me? I'm on a nice little Belgian number, Westmalle dubbel. This seems kind of fitting because the pair of them (dubbel) came from Belgium to England (West) and made our club sick (mal).
  • Options
    Finally home, so a Brooklyn Black Ops is going down nicely.
  • Options
    Celebrating with Cairngorm's Trade Winds ... tis a lovely drop
    http://www.cairngormbrewery.com/index.php?com=ecom&func=view&id=4
  • Options
    You got any new ones to offer @World of Woe? Been very quiet of late.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

Oggy Red said:

PopIcon said:

Riviera said:

Stig said:

Imperial Russian Stout.

Courage haven't brewed anything for years sadly. Name owned by Marstons now, along with Youngs, Charles Wells, Breakspears, Wytchwood Hobgoblin, Bass, Tetley, Carlsberg, Ringwood, McEwans and Banks. A shocking domination.
    Marston's report 21% of the premium packaged ale market and 20% of the premium cask ale market. Both categories are relatively small categories within brewing, so hardly "shocking domination" (in fact, no domination at all).

We are in the midst of a niche brewing revolution and that's all to the good, but Marston's deserves some credit for maintaining many niche brands / brews (directly or via acquisition) that the Heineken's and AB Inbev's of this world would happily walk away from.
  • Options
    Had a nice porter in the Ladywell Tavern last nignt, Electric Bear Brewing’s Inspector Remorse.
  • Options
    Absolutely anything and everything was drunk last night. Judging by my mouth this morning, I must finished a bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

Oggy Red said:

PopIcon said:

Riviera said:

Stig said:

Imperial Russian Stout.

Marston's report 21% of the premium packaged ale market and 20% of the premium cask ale market. Both categories are relatively small categories within brewing, so hardly "shocking domination" (in fact, no domination at all).

We are in the midst of a niche brewing revolution and that's all to the good, but Marston's deserves some credit for maintaining many niche brands / brews (directly or via acquisition) that the Heineken's and AB Inbev's of this world would happily walk away from.
    Initially read that as an ale that was 21%. Was about to ask where I'd get it..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

Oggy Red said:

PopIcon said:

Riviera said:

Stig said:

Imperial Russian Stout.

Just to say that I am aware that Courage haven't brewed anything for years, however beers do appear with the Courage name - I've seen Directors in bars recently. I should have said something like "with the Courage name and branding"... :-)
  • Options
    Currently drinking Deptford's very own 'Villages Brewery' beer whenever I see it on or make it to their taproom....Rafiki (session ale) a particular favourite... Am also spending more time in the River Ale House on Woolwich Road, which means I'm drinking a whole load of cask ales I normally wouldn't go near... Cloudwater, Northern Monk, BBN & Moor still my favourite UK breweries though, with a shout out to Beavertown for the go to back up beer of Lupoloid (or Neck Oil if I'm on for a session) and Wild Beer Co for some of their experimentation brews...
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Saga Lout said:

Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

Oggy Red said:

PopIcon said:

Riviera said:

Stig said:

Imperial Russian Stout.

Just to say that I am aware that Courage haven't brewed anything for years, however beers do appear with the Courage name - I've seen Directors in bars recently. I should have said something like "with the Courage name and branding"... :-)
    Courage effectively stopped brewing in 1995 when it merged (was taken over by) Scottish and Newcastle. The brands were, IIRC, taken over by Charles Wells who now brew "Courage"....

Edit. I should add that S&N continued to brew Courage beers, but they were finally disposed of when Heineken bought S&N...
  • Options
    Just finished off my beer advent calendar... Some crackers, especially the porters. Engine oil and anchor stood out. The last beer, so called elf juice, a sort of spiced mulled beer, was an abomination
  • Options
    Mine:

Buxton Spa
    Mondo Dennis Hopp'r
    Brugse Zot Blond
    Anchor Porter
    Camden Hols Tropical Lager
    Victory Headwater Pale Ale
    Birra del Borgo Santa Goze Down Under
    Hitachino White Ale
    Fourpure American Pale
    Magic Rock Common Grounds
    Blue Point Toasted Lager
    Berliner Pilsner
    Timmerman's Kriek
    10 Barrel Brewing Co Pub Beer
    Goose Island Matilda
    Harviestoun Old Engine Oil
    Camden Pale Ale
    Schneider Blondes (Tap 1)
    Two Roads Honeyspot Road
    Thornbridge Tzara
    Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale
    BrewDog Dead Pony Pale Ale
    Bosteels Kwak
    Bad Co. Elf Juice
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Riviera said:

Saga Lout said:

Oggy Red said:

PopIcon said:

Riviera said:

Stig said:

Imperial Russian Stout.

Courage effectively stopped brewing in 1995 when it merged (was taken over by) Scottish and Newcastle. The brands were, IIRC, taken over by Charles Wells who now brew "Courage"....

Edit. I should add that S&N continued to brew Courage beers, but they were finally disposed of when Heineken bought S&N...
    Charles Wells no longer brew, it's Marstons.
  • Options
    Found an interesting oatmeal stout in Auckland last night called Darkest Days. Very, very good.
  • Options
    Was on the Shep Neame bottled IPA....6.2% last night, only just recovering.
  • Options
    A little late, but here's Stig's Year in Beer 2017

THE GOOD

Best Beer (Overall): Brauerei Schloss Eggenberg - Samichlaus Classic Bier again!

Best British Beer: Fuller's Imperial Stout.

Best Supermarket Offering:
    St Peters Cream Stout.

Best Pub (Over all): Left Luggage Room, Monkseaton, Whitley Bay.

Best Pub (London & SE): The Prospect of Whitby, Wapping.

Best Pub (Landlord/Landlady): The Swan, Three Mile Cross, Reading.

Best Pub (Beer selection): Compass Alehouse, Gravesend.

Best Pub (Look and feel): The Playhouse, Colchester. Got to be seen to be believed.

Best Pub Food: The Swan, Three Mile Cross, Reading.

Best Value Pub Food: The Victoria, Lincoln. £2.50 for a pork pie & pickle.

Best Brewery: Fullers.

Best Off-Licence: Terre de Boissons, Calais.

Best Beer Festival: Rochford (only one I went to).

Best Pub Crawl: London Executions Tour.

AND THE NOT SO GOOD

Worst Beer (overall): Coors Light. Almost didn't make the cut because, let's face it, it's not really beer, is it? But someone (someone who I call a friend!) brought this to a party at our house and left it there. Naturally I felt obliged not to waste it, but can conform that it's nothing but pish water.

Worst Beer (draught): Can't remember specifics but it would be one of those overhyped over citrussed summer brews.

Worst Pub: The Fen, Fenchurch Street Station. A whole new level of shitness. Shit beer, shit service, shit décor, shit everything. Still, next time I'm waiting for a train to Shoeburyness I'll be straight back in there.

Most Disappointing Pub: The Old Trout, Southend. So much promise but always physically cold and too often a disappointing beer selection.

Most Disappointing Beer: Pelforth Brun. It's still one of my favourite beers, but I was disappointed to discover that it's brewed by Heineken and not a small independent. This begs the question, if it's owned by a multi-national, why can't we get it here?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Playhouse in Colchester? Haha. Used to live in Colchester. It's a spoons isn't it? Not been for a few years, but it is pretty cool looking.
  • Options
    Is it a bit like the Operahouse in Tunbridge Wells?
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I can't really say because I've never been to the Opera House in Tunbridge Wells, but it is a bit like this:

Marks Hall (13 of 13)" />
  • Options
    This is the Opera House:

• Options
    Similar but no cardboard cut outs!
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Playhouse in Colchester? Haha. Used to live in Colchester. It's a spoons isn't it? Not been for a few years, but it is pretty cool looking.

We went there when we played Colchester a few years back. It is indeed a spoons. My mates wife was asked/told to remove her hat upon entering and she refused because the dummies/cut outs were wearing them. Doh.
  • Options
    I've got two tickets for Craft Beer Rising (https://www.craftbeerrising.co.uk/ ) on 24th Feb, evening session, for sale if anyone is interested in attending? It's my favourite beer festival in London and am gutted I now can't go, but life has taken over.. Inbox me if you're interested...face value of £20 per ticket. Cheers
  • Options

I've got two tickets for Craft Beer Rising (https://www.craftbeerrising.co.uk/ ) on 24th Feb, evening session, for sale if anyone is interested in attending? It's my favourite beer festival in London and am gutted I now can't go, but life has taken over.. Inbox me if you're interested...face value of £20 per ticket. Cheers

It's a decent beer festival, Deya were the suprise brewery for me last year. Goose Island were also doing free pours of bourbon county stout.
  • Options

Down here in Cornwall in a nearby village pub, I had a very decent pint of 'Boilers' Golden Ale 4%, brewed by St Ives Brewery.
    Hoppy and malty, it left a wonderful lingering taste. Superb.

I'd not come across it before.

• Options

Abyss - Mango milk IPA
    Brass Castle - Beetroot and Rasberry sour
    Magic rock - inhaler
    Bad seed - woodsman (saison)
    Timmermans - lambic white
    Recommended