Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Snooker updates

Comments

• Ok so after a few comments I have decided I will write on this again next Season

The World Championship is the last event of the season, So I will be using the Official Thread started by my good friend Riviera, but then I will go back to this one next season.
  • Reanne Evans has just won the WLBSA World Championship making her a 10 time World Champion.

She is also Mark Allen's ex, and they have a daughter together,
  • edited April 2014
    Barry Hearn has confirmed he will be offering at least 2 and it could be up to 4, 2 year invitationals which means if not all places have been taken in events they will be invited

Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry have been offered them

Jimmy White will be if he has been knocked of the top 64

not mentioned who the 4th one is
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    He also said Shanghai masters and Australian open will be a flat 128
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Onto the World Championships
    the top 16 will still be through automatically but 144 players will start instead of 128, the extra 16 will be former world champions and selected players from selected countries.
    It will never leave Sheffield while Hearn is in charge
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some big changes there, interesting to see if player like John Parrot and Dennis Taylor decide to enter the world championship
  • edited April 2014
    WPBSA Statement
    25th April 2014

On Thursday 24th April 2014, there was a hearing in the case of Stephen Lee. The Chair of the independent Appeals Committee, Nicholas Stewart QC has directed that subject to Stephen Lee complying with certain conditions, the hearing to deal with the remainder of his appeal will be heard on 12th May 2014.
  • Neil Robertson has done it 100 centuries in one season
  • WPBSA Statement
    15th May 2014

Nicholas Stewart QC, sitting as The Appeals Committee, has considered the submissions made by all parties in the final part of Stephen Lee's appeal against his finding that he was in breach of the WPBSA Rules for match and spot fixing in connection with seven matches in 2008-9. The appeal was against the finding, sanction and the costs order imposed by Adam Lewis QC in September 2013.

Today Mr Stewart has delivered his decision and he has dismissed the appeal. In addition he has increased the costs order in relation to the hearing before Adam Lewis QC from £40,000 to £75,000. The term of the suspension remains at a period of twelve years. This means that Stephen Lee will continue to be unable to compete in professional snooker before 12th October 2024.

The costs in relation to the appeal hearing on Monday are yet to be determined.

The rulings made by Edwin Glasgow QC sitting with Peter Stockwell and Nicholas Stewart QC are available in full below.

WPBSA Chairman Jason Ferguson said: "The WPBSA has taken no pride in dealing with this very unpleasant situation. It is however critical that the integrity of our sport is preserved and we are pleased this case has finally been resolved".
  • WPBSA Statement
    15th May 2014

Nicholas Stewart QC, sitting as The Appeals Committee, has considered the submissions made by all parties in the final part of Stephen Lee's appeal against his finding that he was in breach of the WPBSA Rules for match and spot fixing in connection with seven matches in 2008-9. The appeal was against the finding, sanction and the costs order imposed by Adam Lewis QC in September 2013.

Today Mr Stewart has delivered his decision and he has dismissed the appeal. In addition he has increased the costs order in relation to the hearing before Adam Lewis QC from £40,000 to £75,000. The term of the suspension remains at a period of twelve years. This means that Stephen Lee will continue to be unable to compete in professional snooker before 12th October 2024.

The rulings made by Edwin Glasgow QC sitting with Peter Stockwell and Nicholas Stewart QC are available in full below.

WPBSA Chairman Jason Ferguson said: "The WPBSA has taken no pride in dealing with this very unpleasant situation. It is however critical that the integrity of our sport is preserved and we are pleased this case has finally been resolved".

Paulie,

Do tips (icebergs rather than cues) come to mind or is this an isolated incident in your opinion?
  • LenGlover said:

WPBSA Statement
    15th May 2014

Paulie,

Do tips (icebergs rather than cues) come to mind or is this an isolated incident in your opinion?
    IMO Stephen Lee was made a scape goat, no real evidence yet Higgins caught on Video admitting it got a far easier punishment, typical just because Lee has never won World Championship or been World number 1,

But no unfortunatly I dont think this is a isolated incident obviously John Higgins in the past has done it and just before the Stephen Lee incident there was 4/5 chinesse players and (1 English Player who is not on the tour) facing the same charges
  • WPBSA Statement - Ding Junhui
    23rd May 2014

The WPBSA can confirm that after being fined £5,000 by WSL for failing to attend the WSL Awards Dinner, which put him in breach of his players contract, Ding Junhui has been referred to the WPBSA Disciplinary Committee to consider whether any further action is approprite with regard to repeated breaches of his players contract.
    23rd May 2014

The WPBSA can confirm that after being fined £5,000 by WSL for failing to attend the WSL Awards Dinner, which put him in breach of his players contract, Ding Junhui has been referred to the WPBSA Disciplinary Committee to consider whether any further action is approprite with regard to repeated breaches of his players contract.

I heard the news yesterday and was surprised. I don't know what happened but I think it was strange.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anybody know the best snooker hall as close to Beckenham as possible? Cheers.
    23rd May 2014

I heard the news yesterday and was surprised. I don't know what happened but I think it was strange.
    Part of every players contract is to turn up for Special Events hosted by World Snooker, he knew that and never turned up to the awards dinner
  • Decided to wait till it was finished as i thought it would be easier
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The season started again on Saturday with the Wuxi Classic Qualifiers which is a flat 128 draw

Biggest news was Ding Junhui got his A**e handed to him by Oliver Brown losing 5-0

Andrew Higginson also lost 5-0 but that stood out as he was running late and forfeited the first 3 frames

Other surprise casualties were:
    Matthew Stevens
    Dominic Dale
    Peter Ebdon

Jimmy White lost 5-2 to Fraser Patrick

Highest break was 137 by Neil Robertson
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Australian Open Qualifiers start on Friday
    Back to normal for this one, one of the only remaining tournaments not to have a flat 128 but that changes next season
    23rd May 2014

Part of every players contract is to turn up for Special Events hosted by World Snooker, he knew that and never turned up to the awards dinner
    I guess he deliberately skipped the dinner.

And I was shocked to know that he got knocked out of the Wuxi Classic at the qualifying stage. Wuxi is his hometown....(also mine)
    23rd May 2014

I guess he deliberately skipped the dinner.

And I was shocked to know that he got knocked out of the Wuxi Classic at the qualifying stage. Wuxi is his hometown....(also mine)
    Its not just the fact he was knocked out I mean if it was 5-4 it would still have been a shock but 5-0 is a embarrassment
  • Yeah, it really is. *sigh*
  • This is the 3rd year of the Wuxi Classic being a ranking event and he has not got past the 2nd round

2012-lost in 1st round 5-2 to Mark Davis
    2013-lost in the 2nd round 5-1 to Joe Perry
    2014-Lost in qualifiers 5-0 to Oliver Brown
  • WPBSA Statement - Stephen Lee
    04th June 2014

Nicholas Stewart QC has delivered his ruling on the costs of the final part of Stephen Lee's appeal against his finding that he was in breach of the WPBSA Rules for match and spot fixing in connection with seven matches in 2008-9. The appeal was against the finding, sanction and the costs order imposed by Adam Lewis QC in September 2013.

Mr Stewart said that Stephen Lee failed completely in his appeal and has ordered that in addition to costs orders already made against him, he must pay the WPBSA £20,000 towards its costs of this appeal.

This means that Stephen Lee owes the WPBSA £75,000 in costs from the original hearing, £30,000 from the first part of his appeal and a further £20,000 from the second part of his appeal, a total of £125,000.

The full decision of Nicholas Stewart QC is available here

So it cost Stephen Lee £125k in the end
  • Not updated this in a while

So far this season
    Neil Robertson beat Joe Perry 10-9 in the Wuxi Classic
    Judd Trump beat Neil Robertson 9-5 in the Australian Open

All players currently enjoying their 2nd week of a 4 week break

The current top 64 in the rankings are:

1-Mark Selby-£306,500
    2-Neil Robertson-£157,778
    3-Ronnie O'Sullivan-£125,000
    4-Barry Hawkins-£76,000
    5-Judd Trump-£74,667
    6-Joe Perry-£52,000
    7-Shaun Murphy-£44,167
    8-Martin Gould-£39,667
    9-Alan McManus-£39,667
    10-Ricky Walden-£31,944
    11-Dominic Dale-£30,000
    12-Marco Fu-£29,100
    13-Xiao Guodong-£27,111
    14-Ryan Day-£26,500
    15-Michael Holt-£25,000
    16-Robin Hull-£24,500

17-Stuart Bingham-£24,044
    18-Robert Milkins-£22,694
    19-Jamie Jones-£21,867
    20-John Higgins MBE-£19,367
    21-Ken Doherty-£19,000
    22-Stephen Maguire-£18,700
    23-Michael White-£18,500
    24-Liang Wenbo-£17,250
    25-Mark Davis-£17,111
    26-Tom Ford-£17,000
    27-Jamie Burnett-£16,500
    28-Mark Allen-£16,000
    29-Ding Junhui-£16,000
    30-Allister Carter-£16,000
    31-Michael Wasley-£16,000
    32-Robbie Williams-£15,417

33-Jamie Cope-£15,000
    34-David Brown Gilbert-£15,000
    35-Mark Joyce-£14,667
    36-Fergal O'Brien-£13,917
    37-Matthew Stevens-£13,694
    38-Cao Yupeng-£13,617
    39-Andrew Higginson-£13,500
    40-Jack Lisowski-£12,000
    41-Kyren Wilson-£12,000
    42-Matthew Selt-£11,700
    43-Graeme Dott-£11,350
    44-Ben Woollaston-£11,350
    45-Mark Williams MBE-£10,950
    46-Peter Ebdon-£10,917
    47-Scott Donaldson-£10,500
    48-Luca Brecel-£10,000
    49-Dechawat Poomjaeng-£9,500
    50-Jimmy Robertson-£9,389
    51-Stuart Carrington-£9,389
    52-Kurt Maflin-£9,000
    53-Marcus Campbell-£8,700
    54-Rory McLeod-£8,500
    55-Li Yan-£8,500
    56-Anthony McGill-£8,417
    57-Craig Steadman-£8,283
    58-Peter Lines-£8,200
    59-Mark King-£7,450
    60-Oliver Brown-£7,389
    61-Anthony Hamilton-£7,000
    62-Sam Baird-£6,917
    63-Michael Georgiou-£6,700
    64-Chris Wakelin-£6,500
  • Cheers Paulie,

what date does the prize money start from?
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Cheers Paulie,

what date does the prize money start from?

Its a 2 year rolling system (which as Mark Selby has £306,500 you can assume it was from the 2014 Dafabet World Championship)
  • thanks
  • Anybody know the best snooker hall as close to Beckenham as possible? Cheers.

Not many snooker halls around these days. There's one in Petts Wood and one in Catford.
  • Ali Carter looking to play again after cancer treatment.
    Good luck to him and hopefully can stay healthy

Former World Championship finalist Ali Carter is planning a return to snooker after having chemotherapy treatment for lung cancer.

Carter, 35, who has Crohn's disease and has already overcome testicular cancer, was diagnosed with lung cancer in May and began intensive treatment.

On Tuesday he wrote on Twitter: "I have now finished my chemotherapy and things are really positive.

"I'm feeling much better and it won't be long till I'm back playing again."
  • That is great news. Hope he makes a full recovery.
  • Not wrote in this for a while but felt I had to after what I have just watched

James Cahill 19 years old has just beat Ding Junhui 6-5, when he was 5-4 up he had a chance to finish the match but Ding came back and won by 1 point, but James never let that bother him.
    In the final frame decider he produced some incredible shots that even top players would not have gone for, Steve Davies was loving every moment.

I was watching it and it reminded me of matches I have seen replays of from Hendry and O'Sullivan when they were younger.

definitely one for the future and definitely a future World Champion
  • edited December 2014

Not wrote in this for a while but felt I had to after what I have just watched

James Cahill 19 years old has just beat Ding Junhui 6-5, when he was 5-4 up he had a chance to finish the match but Ding came back and won by 1 point, but James never let that bother him.
    In the final frame decider he produced some incredible shots that even top players would not have gone for, Steve Davies was loving every moment.

I was watching it and it reminded me of matches I have seen replays of from Hendry and O'Sullivan when they were younger.

It takes a lot to get me really involved in a snooker match these days, but I had a knot in my stomach watching those last 2 frames.
    Utterly amazing penultimate frame and the bottle Cahill displayed in the last marks him down as a future superstar.

• Not wrote in this for a while but felt I had to after what I have just watched

What a game that was!

I'm knackered and needed to go to bed but it was compulsive viewing.
  • No one watching? A thriller in the making....
  • Yeah. Trump was, well, trumped 20 minutes ago. Now he's on fire. 9-8.