Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What's your favourite horror film?

Just started watching Halloween II and got me to thinking what's my favourite horror movie. I think Halloween was great and groundbreaking in many ways but it's The Omen that still puts the willys up me, if you pardon the expression.

Comments

• Loved the first couple of Saw films.

Se7en, whilst not a horror, always has me edge and the scene with the bloke strapped to the bed is one of the jumpiest moments I've ever had!
  • Not films as such but the M.R James ghost stories filmed by the BBC in the early 70s - Warning to the Curious & Whistle and I'll Come to You - real classics..no gore, but just superbly atmospherically creepy
  • The Fog always creeps me out.
    Hammer Horror shorts of the 70's were really weird and disturbing (a doppelganger episode comes to mind!).
    A lot of modern horrors bore with the gore fest, but Woman in Black was a great adaptation of a brilliant stage play.
  • The isog always creeps me out.
    Hammer Horror shorts of the 70's were really weird and disturbing (a doppelganger episode comes to mind!).
    A lot of modern horrors bore with the gore fest, but Woman in Black was a great adaptation of a brilliant stage play.

The Fog is a good shout and I agree about the less is more sometimes with more recent films.
  • The Saw series is brilliant, if a little milked with 7 films in 7 years.

Jigsaw Killer - brilliant villain.
  • A Nightmare on Elm Street was pretty good in its prime (c 1984 ?) but like SAW was milked to death with so many sequels.
  • Stig said:

IT

Another good shout Stig. I fecking hated clowns twice as much after seeing that.
  • the thing
  • I watched insidious for the first time the other day, that was pretty good. Like the nightmare on elm street films (the originals) too, not because they're scary but because they are entertaining. For scariness though, although not a horror, snakes on a plane scared the hell out of me and gave me nightmares!
  • Sponsored links:

• As an adult I have fallen out if love with horror films.
    As a kid , i used to love the Hammer horror films shown late at night on the BBC then I graduated to the like of The Omen and Poltergeist.
    The Grudge ( original) and the first Paranormal Activity were very good in recent years but the rest bore me.
  • Evil dead.
  • Surely the exorcist hss to be top 3 ever
  • Gory films don't scare me.

Paranormal activity did on a psychological level. Really shit me up the first time i saw it.
  • I watched a pretty new film a couple of weeks ago, Sinister (from 2012 i think).
    Pretty disturbing movie. One of the better horror movies ive seen the last 10 years. Watch it :-)
  • Exorcist is unrivalled.
  • The Shining .. Stanley Kubrick, the cinematic genius
  • I remember when I was 7 years old and watching 'An American Werewolf in London' that my Old Man had hired on video and that proper shit me up at that time! Took me a while to get over that!

The Omen and Poltergeist are probably up there in my top horror films as first saw them when I was a nipper also and was scared shitless!!!
  • 'Nosferatu'. The old silent is over 90 years old now but still manages to chill the blood.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Shining .. Stanley Kubrick, the cinematic genius

Seconded.
  • The Thing is bloody scary, the test scene still gets to me even though I know exactly what is going to happen by now!
  • Oakster said:

Not films as such but the M.R James ghost stories filmed by the BBC in the early 70s - Warning to the Curious & Whistle and I'll Come to You - real classics..no gore, but just superbly atmospherically creepy

Great shout. Whistle and I'll Come was made two or three years ago (might have been done before in the 70s) with John Hurt. A brilliantly creepy ghost story with a bit of depth. Also Dickens's The Signalman dating back to the 70s. As you say no blood or gore but the skill is in the atmosphere and rising tension.

For full length feature films though, as others have said, The Shining is an all-time great.
  • The Thing
    Saw's
    The Conjuring
    Incidious
    Sinister
    Evil Dead (2013 version)
    Mama
    Don't be affraid of the dark
    Poltergiest
    Stigmarta
    The Possession
    The Last Exorcism
    Dark Skies
    The Exorcism of Emely Rose
    The Haunting In Connecticut
    Candyman
    30 days of nights
    The Lost Boys
    Hellraiser
    Phantasm
    The Rite
    The Exorcist
    Pet Sematary
    The Entity
    The Ring
    Mirrors
    Th Uninvited
    The Amityville Horror
    Ghost Ship
    Case 39

As you can tell i love a horror

• The Ring and The Exorcist.

I also like the cheesiness of Friday 13th and Nightmare On Elm Street. Freddy V Jason was one fantastic! Especially when Freddy gave Jason the "It's in the beans" gesture, I didn't realise American's did that as well.
  • I watched a pretty new film a couple of weeks ago, Sinister (from 2012 i think).
    Pretty disturbing movie. One of the better horror movies ive seen the last 10 years. Watch it :-)

This scared the crap out of me! Definitely worth watching if you like horrors.

The Shining - not just the film, even the book is scary.

• The Shining scared the living bejeesus out of me. I watched it alone, and my brother banged on the front door during the "red rum" scene. I jumped two foot in the air, but only came down one.
  • The Shining, then The Thing & next up Rosemary's Baby.

Horror films with things coming out of mirrors or the telly or malevolent beings hurting children are the ones that I find most disturbing & harder to forget but not favourites. The Ring scene with the telly is a pillow over face moment. The torture films are getting a bit much now. Keep thinking its encouraging the already unstable, desenseitizing? (Unsure of spelling) & putting ideas in deranged heads.
  • The Saw series is brilliant, if a little milked with 7 films in 7 years.

Jigsaw Killer - brilliant villain.