Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Not going away; on the cost of watching football (Donny fanzine)

At the start of Rovers’ fixture at Hillsborough earlier this month the Radio Sheffield commentary team voiced their surprise that the entirety of the upper tier of the Leppings Lane End was not completely awash with red and white hoops. Mickey Walker couldn’t believe it wasn’t packed out for a derby. Perhaps unsurprisingly this opinion was voiced with no knowledge of the prices Rovers supporters had been asked to pay. £29 or £30 for adults and £18 for juniors is quite simply a ludicrous price for a lower second tier fixture between two teams from the second poorest county in the UK. And it was a price which rightly many Rovers fans refused to pay.

more here

http://popularstand.wordpress.com/2013/10/29/not-going-away-on-the-cost-of-watching-football/

Comments

• Thanks for the link, razil.

Good article IMHO.
  • Fair play to them
  • Have Ipswich dropped that fifty quid nonsense this season ?
  • Good article. Couldn't help it, in my head I read it in a northern accent. Aye! By 'eck!
  • edited October 2013
    no problem, I get a feed from Supporters Direct and filter in the ones of interest to our fans, I tend to post them on our site so they go out to our members, which is why I normally its a link back to castrust.org
  • Thanks Razil for the link. It was in my opinion a very well thought out article, which shows the dilema many fans have today. The 'Football Industry' sees itself in a buble but bubles can very easily burst, many clubs these days are close to administration, including our own I fear, putting hefty prices on seats unlikely to be sold is a crazy strategy.
  • A Michael Buble?!?
  • ^^^^^^ I also thank you Razil .. I fear that the 'football bubble', especially for non premier league clubs, is gradually deflating, if not quite yet bursting. A reduction both in staffing and wage levels at many clubs is well overdue. Yet I do wonder how many club owners use their 'hobbyhorse' as a tax write off against more lucrative businesses they may own.
  • Good article. Sooner or later fans have to make that stand. I was thinking of going to Birmingham last season but just thought £30 was too much on principle. I still do.

Trouble is, as the article suggests, boycotting has minimal effect on those who set prices and the lack of support can affect your own team. Its not easy to make a stand on principle if live football is your weekend leisure activity of choice.

Incidentally I looked up ticket prices for England v Fiji in the Rugby League World Cup at KC Stadium in Hull. I thought I might make the trip over as its not sold out. Not at £40 a ticket though!
  • Birmingham is £25. I bought my ticket this morning.
  • Sponsored links:

• Birmingham is £25. I bought my ticket this morning.

It was £27 last season. Even at £2 it's nice to see a price drop.
  • Have Ipswich dropped that fifty quid nonsense this season ?

Ipswich seems to be £37, which, I think is three quid more than it was last season.
    As I live in Essex and Portman Road is an easy 1 hour drive, it's one of my favourite away grounds. (I've been 8 times.) I didn't go last year because the price was silly and I won't be going this season either.