Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

feeling old

2»

Comments

• Happy birthday sam3110 and Adrian.

PL54 said:

sam3110 said:

Purely in a maturity and 'growing up' way, I finally feel old. Turn 23 in an hour or so.... Today it struck me how some younger people would now class me as 'old' and just how old I also feel, my body feels old now. My mind feels old, in generally I feel this is the first time I can truly say I am an independent adult, and this both excites and saddens me. Everything is real now, paying rent, shopping, doing the laundry, working full time, I'm living it, moving out of my parents in the summer was the major step, but having a birthday in my own place for the first ttime will be one of the last steps, along with Christmas day.

My question to you guys is, at what age did you feel you had fully matured, or are you still waiting for that day? What was it that made you think 'yes, I am fully grown up'?

Not sure I have ever grown up. Whenever I see groups of youngsters out I seriously believe the girls all fancy me.
    @PL54 when you use the word 'youngsters', you are old
  • If you remember your "20's" you didn't live them right.
  • cafctom said:

it all moves so quickly once full time work begins and life is just seemingly shaped by routines day after day.

Exactly how I feel.I started to work in '09 and these four years passed in the blink of an eye.I didn't feel time going by so quickly when I was just a student.
  • Granpa said:

Hi Sam, I am 76 now and I absolutely refuse to grow up. Attitude of mind is one of the most important features that you have, I still reckon I could score goals like I did as a young man, I still consider starting yet another business even now. If you think that you are old, you are. You have your whole adult life ahead of you, get some aims and ambition, never look back, I have made some rubbish decisions in my career but I don't mope about it. I had a decision to make, and I made it, sometimes it was wrong, sometimes it was right. I made a wonderful decision at the age of 17 that I had met the love of my life when she was 15. Now after 54 years of a fantastic marriage, having to survive the loss of my son at the age of 11, I will die the richest man in the World with a daughter and four adult grandchilren with whom I have enormously loving relationships. Get a smile on your face Sam, always look forward and go for it, it's a wonderful life !

Great post Granpa. It is a state of mind. The problem for some of us that their mind is "in a state" but fantastic to read that, even through adversity, you manage to have such a positive outlook on life.
    Indeed a great post,one of the best I've read on CL.
  • I know that the point that Chris Powell retired as a player was a milestone - the first time there was nobody in the first team squad older than me...
  • I know that the point that Chris Powell retired as a player was a milestone - the first time there was nobody in the first team squad older than me...

Absolutely this. When the manager's younger than you are you are definitely entering a new era in your life.

Oh to be 23 again.
  • Your first divorce is always a seminal moment in growing up. Put it off as long as you can.

• Not sure I have ever grown up. Whenever I see groups of youngsters out I seriously believe the girls all fancy me.

What a daft thought, it's ME they are after mate.
  • Men dont grow up - our toys just get more expensive!
  • Being childish keeps you young.
  • Sponsored links:

• Your first divorce is always a seminal moment in growing up. Put it off as long as you can.

growing up or divorce?

Absolutely this. When the manager's younger than you are you are definitely entering a new era in your life.

Oh to be 23 again.
    I've had very similar feelings in recent years.I'm 26 (turning 27 next Jan.) and I definitely feel old when I start to notice that most players these days are younger than me and those who I used to 'look up' to are now either retired or struggling for first-team appearances.I do get excited to see how well this younger generation are doing but I don't think any of them will become a 'hero' to me.This is when I know I'm getting old....
  • Growing old is compulsory, growing up isn't.
  • Born after the first Stone Roses album = not old :-)

Happy Birthday!!
  • A younger friend asked me last year if I had started to "feel old" - I was approaching my 48th birthday at the time - I said yes, this year. Random pains, stiff joints and eyesight going downhill... about six weeks later I had a heart attack. I have always lived hard, smoked and drank too much, stayed out late got up early - the only thing that was relatively healthy was my diet, although I ate too much chocolate. A year on I have packed in the fags, still drink too much and hardly eat any chocolate - I also exercise more. Three inches wider round the waist though, but still enjoying life...