Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP - Inventor of the doner kebab Kadir Nurman dies...

Comments

• Can't take this in. My head just keeps spinning round and round
  • Been veggie for 17 years and the only meat I ever crave is doner meat. Thank you for the memories.
  • I salute you sir.
  • genius

RIPita
  • In shock i threw all the salad on the pavement and came home with most of the kebab down the front of my shirt.
  • He has a lot to answer for !
  • Never nice getting a pitta bad news on a Saturday night....
  • edited October 2013
    RIP
  • God bless him. A kebab has rounded off so many great nights. If only I'd seen this earlier I'd have marked the news in the appropriate way tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

If he could hear quips like that, he'd be spinning in his grave.
  • Sponsored links:

Don't tell me it took you an hour to think of that?

• All them night trips home from away games, including southend, Getting the 00:50 train to Orpington ... Walking to best kebab ye to get a kebab to Finnish of the night .. you legend! next time i buy a kebab i will dedicate it to you sir!
  • Uboat said:

God bless him. A kebab has rounded off so many great nights. If only I'd seen this earlier I'd have marked the news in the appropriate way tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

A kebab rounded off one of my great Charlton nights in 1987, (CAFC2 Leeds1), we got back to Welling about 330 am and the geezer managed four kebabs from a slither of meat, which we devoured whilst watching the highlights on video (remember video?) . OK, by daybreak two of our number had died of food poisoning, but we should keep an eye on the bigger picture whilst ignoring such collateral damage. Viva le grease feast!

• I knew this would strike a cord on CL...

You know "genius" is a word bandied around far too readily IMHO. The young Kadir dreaming of a simple and intuitive combination of rank greasy compressed lamb parts, stale unleavened bread and un-hygienically washed left over cabbage is enough, THEN to smother the whole combo with a chilli sauce straight from the deepest recesses of Satan's arse crack...

I mean need I say more?
  • Are they still open at this time of night?
  • RIP Sir
  • They Just dont do them right over here... man when I was back I had one of the best kebabs of all time... RIP

You know "genius" is a word bandied around far too readily IMHO. The young Kadir dreaming of a simple and intuitive combination of rank greasy compressed lamb parts, stale unleavened bread and un-hygienically washed left over cabbage is enough, THEN to smother the whole combo with a chilli sauce straight from the deepest recesses of Satan's arse crack...

I mean need I say more?

You need to find a better kebab shop if the above is your experience! Plenty of decent ones about, still outnumbered by the rubbish ones though.
  • Alcohol and Doner go hand in hand. Best place I know to get one is at Eltham Hill opposite the church.
  • Sponsored links:

I mean need I say more?

You need to find a better kebab shop if the above is your experience! Plenty of decent ones about, still outnumbered by the rubbish ones though.
    It's been a while, where local would you recommend SLL ?
  • The one in Mottingham village source thier own Kentish lamb.
    They're much better than most.

I mean need I say more?

It's been a while, where local would you recommend SLL ?
    The Lale on Eltham Hill or New Eltham Grill on Avery Hill Road. The latter used to mince their own meat on site, not sure if they still do, but many shops just order their lamb doner in pre-made, rubbish stuff.

Koftes or shish's are preferable and are top notch at both the above.

• Remember walking home from a pub in the Old Kent Road after too much beer 25 years ago. It was a long walk to Lee but there were several kebab shops on the way and I had three. Next morning as I picked through the evidence of what had happened the night before, it took me a minute or two to work out why I had candle-wax all down my shirt and on my desert boots. RIP Kadir.
  • 3 kebabs in one journey is good going.

Cheers SLL, will give the NE one a try.
  • Dont do Kebabs anymore, dont do Halal

• The food of the Devil , I only really fancy a Doner when I've had too much too drink.
  • Dont do Kebabs anymore, dont do Halal

Out of interest, how do you avoid halal meet?
  • Dont eat many takeaways, certain regular outlets i use i have asked, most Fried Chicken places have signs so i avoid and keep to KFC. From research most high St food outlets use Halal only in Certain areas.

When buying from a Supermarket i check the labels.

Other than that i have to trust packaging.