Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

remember Agincourt !

Comments

• Options
    That's not ironic. The fact that Henry V was a French speaker is ironic.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

The English language is still today a Germanic language.

Innit just bro.

• Options
    Hasn't France only been "France" since the late 1700s? they must have been busy!
  • Options
    It seems this is the full list of countries that England hasn't invaded at some time or another:
    Andorra
    Belarus
    Bolivia
    Burundi
    Central African Republic
    Chad
    Congo, Republic of
    Guatemala
    Ivory Coast
    Kyrgyzstan
    Liechtenstein
    Luxembourg
    Mali
    Marshall Islands
    Monaco
    Mongolia
    Paraguay
    Sao Tome and Principe
    Sweden
    Tajikistan
    Uzbekistan
    Vatican City

That's 22 in total. Meaning we've invaded some 88% of the World's countries at some time or another. Either a very impressive or very depressing statistic, I'm not sure which! The last fiasco means that we've now invaded Afghanistan 4 times!

amazon.com/Countries-Weve-Ever-Invaded-ebook/dp/B009UV5PT6
  • Options
    I'm guessing there's a couple on that list that we have probably had some troops in as part of a UN peacekeeping mission. Not the same thing I grant you.
  • Options
    Tajikistan have got it coming though
  • Options
    I think the term 'invaded' here is meant quite loosely.

• Options
    A peacekeeping mission to places such as the CAR is possibly the sort of thing British troops should be getting involved with, but no money in it, sadly
  • Options
    Leuth said:

A peacekeeping mission to places such as the CAR is possibly the sort of thing British troops should be getting involved with, but no money in it, sadly

Alas, I couldn't agree more. I just read the memoir of the guy leading the UN mission to Rwanda. The lives that could have been saved...
  • Options
    great stuff
    so 87% of the troups at Agincourt were Welsh 12% were scots just there to take the Kings shilling the 1% English ran away when they saw the mighty frech coming.
    The English language is actually German , Ja we knew that.
    The English King was a Frenchman
    Football wasnt invented in England but China
    The English have never won a war but invaded everyone.

f--k me you gaurdianistas have some real issues dont you ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

Tajikistan have got it coming though

made me chuckle.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

To the extent that it doen't mean "invaded".

I am absolutely certain, for example, that we have never invaded Brazil.

Our invasion of South Sudan )created a couple of years ago) doesn't seem to have hit the news.

• Options
    edited October 2013

great stuff
    so 87% of the troups at Agincourt were Welsh 12% were scots just there to take the Kings shilling the 1% English ran away when they saw the mighty frech coming.

I admit to getting the Guardian on a Saturday.
    The English language absorbs words from everywhere, hence it is successful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_English_words_by_country_or_language_of_origin
  • Options
    Following what The Sun did to the Arc de Triomphe in 2011, have the French finally got their revenge?

• Options
    No. I am not 605 years old.
  • Options

598 actually - and I thought The Portugese were our oldest ally.

Was also the anniversary of the Charge of The Light Brigade.

• Options

great stuff

Sorry to confuse things with these awkward things called 'facts'.
    I think someone who goes purple in the face and starts shaking with rage because other people don't want to join him in pretending that England is the greatest country of all time is the one with the issues.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

598 actually - and I thought The Portugese were our oldest ally.

Was also the anniversary of the Charge of The Light Brigade.

My earliest memories were from when I was about seven or eight years old - if I were "only" 598, I would have no recall of the events of 1415 - so I built that into my calculation. I don't just throw these things together you know... :-)
  • Options
    Uboat said:

great stuff

I think someone who goes purple in the face and starts shaking with rage because other people don't want to join him in pretending that England is the greatest country of all time is the one with the issues.
    It's all part of a conspiracy to discredit and undermine the English you see.
  • Options
    Uboat said:

great stuff

Who is - but this was one of the greatest victories in the history of warfare, led by an English King with mostly English Men at Arms (the majority of the Welsh were left at Harfleur) defeating a French Army on home soil who outnumbered the English by at least 6 to 1 (some sources suggest it was double that) and who chose the ground to fight on.

The French lost over 8,000 men (granted some prisoners massacred by Henry after they surrendered) for the loss of under 300 English.

Yes there were Welsh present - the most famous of whom was David Gambe (later knighted by Henry whilst he lay dying on the field). When asked by Henry how many French there were, he replied, "There are enough to kill, enough to capture and enough to run away".

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    why would we need to pretend? its fact.
  • Options
    Jints said:

Addickted said:

I am absolutely certain, for example, that we have never invaded Brazil.

The list includes privateers who were sacking Portuguese settlements in Brazil

• Options
    Addickted said:

That's not ironic. The fact that Henry V was a French speaker is ironic.

What's actually ironic is that Henry V was the first King to use English as his first language. In many ways he started the movement towards a standardised English language by insisting on the use of Chancery English in law. For the first time there was a standard form of English instead of dozens of regional dialects.
  • Options
    "balls my liege "
  • Options
    I've been to France and some of them are not too bad really.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Addickted said:

Uboat said:

great stuff

Who is - but this was one of the greatest victories in the history of warfare, led by an English King with mostly English Men at Arms (the majority of the Welsh were left at Harfleur) defeating a French Army on home soil who outnumbered the English by at least 6 to 1 (some sources suggest it was double that) and who chose the ground to fight on.

The French lost over 8,000 men (granted some prisoners massacred by Henry after they surrendered) for the loss of under 300 English.

Yes there were Welsh present - the most famous of whom was David Gambe (later knighted by Henry whilst he lay dying on the field). When asked by Henry how many French there were, he replied, "There are enough to kill, enough to capture and enough to run away".

King of England he may have been, an English king he most certainly was not.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

great stuff

LOL. As a Guardianista of some years standing I salute you sir, in the traditional manner of an English bowman! ;0)

(PS you forgot to mention the royal family are German too).
  • Options
    edited October 2013

great stuff

LOL. As a Guardianista of some years standing I salute you sir, in the traditional manner of an English bowman! ;0)

The name Saxe-coburg-Gotha (AKA Windsor) is indeed a Saxon name from the Saxon House of Wettin, Saxony being in Germany. There are however other areas of Saxon settlement; West Saxe, East Saxe and South Saxe.....There are some Kent's about. :)
  • Options
    Loco said:

great stuff

There are however other areas of Saxon settlement; West Saxe, East Saxe and South Saxe
    And not forgetting anal
  • Options
    edited November 2013

Loco said:

great stuff

There are however other areas of Saxon settlement; West Saxe, East Saxe and South Saxe
    And not forgetting anal
    No, I knew you were here