Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Luke McCormick Back At Plymouth

Sorry if there is another post about this I could not find it anywhere

I was watching Plymouth V Portsmouth last week and noticed he was in goal for Plymouth,Is it just me or is that completely wrong,He got drunk crashed his car killing to INNOCENT YOUNG KIDS aged 8 and 10 had a 7 year jail term,Which by the way he served just under 4 years not to mention reports at the time suggested the last year and a half to 2 years he was allowed out every weekend to see his family.And now he is back playing professional football earning thousands of pounds a week as if nothing has happened,I know people will say he done his time but for what he done under 4 years and being allowed out at weekends is not doing his time.
I cant begin to imagine the feelings of them two boys family knowing he is playing football but they will never see their sons their grandsons or whoever again.

Comments

• WSSWSS
    edited October 2013
    I doubt he's earning thousands of pounds.

I abhor the act and feel for the family BUT he has served his time according to the laws of the land and it's his right to find employment.
  • Kind of agree with WSS in that its a job and he's done his time. Personally, i dont think the time was long enough.
  • the fact he was allowed out every weekend is a outrage if any normal member of public did that there is no way they would be allowed out of prison every weekend
  • edited October 2013
    I think he re-signed for them a while back.

Agreed with Gary - served his time but was it really justice?
  • i agree with paulie on this,7 years for killing TWO kids,and only served half the time given.Just proves that our laws are a joke.
  • Would you prefer for him to be sitting round on the dole ? And how do you know he's back playing "as if nothing happened" ? I'd imagine his actions haunt his every waking moment. You're making a lot of assumptions about a man you don't know.

What he did was dreadful, and I agree his punishment wasn't enough but that's down to the authorities so I would suggest you direct your grievances towards them rather than McCormick.
  • I don't think he was treated any different to anyone else... but it isn't much of a sentence considering. Can't speak for the man, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had done something like that
  • McBobbin said:

I don't think he was treated any different to anyone else... but it isn't much of a sentence considering. Can't speak for the man, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had done something like that

I am sorry but how many people who are in prison for causing death by dangerous driving and driving with excess alcohol are allowed out at weekends thats not prison thats a holiday
    http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Luke-McCormick-allowed-jail-weekend-visits-home/story-12723090-detail/story.html#axzz2i5SzdtHB
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394867/Parents-blast-drink-driver-killed-boys-released-prison-weekend-trips.html

two different articles that say the same thing
  • Agree with WSS to be honest - not Plymouth's fault if the justice system got it wrong, and I remember them saying at the time they resigned him that he was extremely remorseful.

So from their point of view he has served his time, is sorry for what he did, and is trying to get his life back on track.
  • the father's comments on the 2nd article says it all it feels to them like he is in a holiday camp
  • Sponsored links:

• What all should remember and especially those with Children is that what Luke done could happen to any of you or your children and although you rightly feel outrage , he has served his time and will suffer and rightly so for the rest of his life as will his family,

he will not suffer anywhere near the amount of the poor family whose lives he has destroyed through his reckless and extremely piss poor judgment

but before you have a cardiac in your anger towards him,

if it was your son, your nephew, your grandson that had made this poor error of judgement would you forgive him

I would

If it was my kids he killed would I forgive him no I don't think I ever could, I would want to kill him and would not understand

you never know what's round the corner in life for anyone

• McBobbin said:

I don't think he was treated any different to anyone else... but it isn't much of a sentence considering. Can't speak for the man, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I had done something like that

I am sorry but how many people who are in prison for causing death by dangerous driving and driving with excess alcohol are allowed out at weekends thats not prison thats a holiday
    http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/Luke-McCormick-allowed-jail-weekend-visits-home/story-12723090-detail/story.html#axzz2i5SzdtHB
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1394867/Parents-blast-drink-driver-killed-boys-released-prison-weekend-trips.html

from the Plymouth one "Prisoners nearing the end of their sentence can apply for overnight release licences to maintain family ties and make arrangements for accommodation and work or training on their release."

I'm not saying I like it btw - I think it sucks the bag.
  • McBobbin said:

So to be clear he was alowed out at weekends after serving three years without this privilege, not quite a holiday. I would imagine this is part of a rehabilition programme when offenders near their release date so they have a better chance of reintegrating back into society and reduce their chances of re-offending which despite the objections of the Daily Mail is surely beneficial for society ?
  • The day release and weekend release is based on your like hood to reoffend and the risk you pose to the public, its a hashed up story to cause scandal there's much worse offenders out there on day release
  • I have a view on drink driving that it is down to pure luck once you get behind the wheel of a car when drunk.

I know people that have regularly drunk so much that they couldn't stand up and then they drove several miles (not just two or three) and didn't have an accident. I'm also not just talking about late at night, sometimes in the middle of the day when it is perfectly reasonable to assume tat children would be out playing. Then one person has too much to drink, has a very short sleep then drives and causes an accident.

On the face of it the accident is a worse outcome, but the crime is getting into the car when drunk in the first place.

Thus you have to punish the crime of drink driving. The chap that has 'got away with it' for years was just lucky. The chap that causes an accident that hurts (or kills) someone was just 'less lucky' when drink driving.

I don't drink and drive and I wouldn't have a problem with all those caught drink driving given the same punishment that is, currently, handed out to those that kill people while drunk. However until that happens I can't help feeling that it is as 'unlucky' when a drunk causes an horrendous accident as it is 'lucky' when another one doesn't.

Having said that if a drunk killed my son in an accident his life would be limited to the time served.
  • edited October 2013
    I have a view on drink driving that it is down to pure luck once you get behind the wheel of a car when drunk.

I know people that have regularly drunk so much that they couldn't stand up and then they drove several miles (not just two or three) and didn't have an accident. I'm also not just talking about late at night, sometimes in the middle of the day when it is perfectly reasonable to assume tat children would be out playing. Then one person has too much to drink, has a very short sleep then drives and causes an accident.

On the face of it the accident is a worse outcome, but the crime is getting into the car when drunk in the first place.

Thus you have to punish the crime of drink driving. The chap that has 'got away with it' for years was just lucky. The chap that causes an accident that hurts (or kills) someone was just 'less lucky' when drink driving.

I don't drink and drive and I wouldn't have a problem with all those caught drink driving given the same punishment that is, currently, handed out to those that kill people while drunk. However until that happens I can't help feeling that it is as 'unlucky' when a drunk causes an horrendous accident as it is 'lucky' when another one doesn't.

Having said that if a drunk driver killed my son in an accident his life would be limited to the time served.

• What all should remember and especially those with Children is that what Luke done could happen to any of you or your children and although you rightly feel outrage , he has served his time and will suffer and rightly so for the rest of his life as will his family,

he will not suffer anywhere near the amount of the poor family whose lives he has destroyed through his reckless and extremely piss poor judgment

if it was your son, your nephew, your grandson that had made this poor error of judgement would you forgive him

I would

If it was my kids he killed would I forgive him no I don't think I ever could, I would want to kill him and would not understand

Agree with this. I'd imagine it still sucks to be Luke McCormick, whether he's in jail or on a football pitch.
  • If we signed him there'd be absolute outrage on here
  • I'll never forget Charlton doing a piece in the programme called "The Scout" when Plymouth came to visit one year we highlighted that Luke McCormack was a good GK yet had his moments

Holloway complained about this (McCormack actually went and proved the programme right by being dodgy in the match) and "The Scout" was removed from future programmes which was a shame as I thought it was a good part of it
  • I don't think what he did was as bad as what Lee Hughes did

Yes, he killed children. This is immutable and will never leave the argument

From what I've read, he got drunk at a wedding and then slept three hours before driving. For me this isn't as clear-cut as going on a bender and then driving immediately. Strikes me that he was stupid to think that this was enough time, but perhaps also a little unlucky

I would be very hesitant to re-employ him, but there it is. Nothing can be done. I don't see what good can come of further punishment
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2013
    Tony Adams got 4 months (served two) for crashing his car whilst 4 times over the limit. Went on the captain Arsenal & England. All forgiven?

I would

One of the best posts I've read on here!
    Says it all for me!
    Cheers NLA
  • Many years ago when I was about 10, my classmates dad got pissed up, got behind the wheel and drove home (as lots did back then). He knocked a fella off his bicycle, rendering him unconcious. The guy died a few days later. The driver was given a prison term (don't recall how long). When he got out, his old boss gave him his job back and it seemed his life was ready to resume, as if this hadn't ever happened. Within 6 months of being released, he took his own life as he was unable to cope with the feeling of guilt. So I won't be making any assumptions that LM is feeling no remorse........................
  • thank you greenie

I spose when your kids are growing up you realise that the life path ahead is littered with obstacles some we can see some we cant

and being so judgemental on certain things is a dangerous thing to do although I can understand it

I would

Spot on IMO
  • So agree with KHA. McCormick was unlucky in that his actions led to the death of those children when so many others do exactly the same, but are fortunate enough not to have caused an accident.

Undoubtedly McCormacks sentence was too light, but so too is the sentence handed down to those that consume the same amount of alcohol that he did.