Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fancy a Little Quiz?

Comments

• Probably not, Kenny Dalglish?
  • That's all 13 I believe. Would never have gotten the French guy as I totally forgot about him but I think I would eventually have managed the rest except possibly Sturrock.

• @Riviera
    thought Aitken had managed Leeds (possibly in the top flight) but turns out he was a coach. A quick search shows he did however manage Villa albeit briefly.

Quote from Aitken's Wiki page:

"On 20 July 2006, he was named caretaker manager of Aston Villa after O'Leary's departure the previous evening. Aitken managed Villa to three pre-season victories before being replaced by Martin O'Neill."

So looks like he didn't actually manage in the Prem.
  • Rizzo said:

That's all 13 I believe. Would never have gotten the French guy as I totally forgot about him but I think I would eventually have managed the rest except possibly Sturrock.

Sturrock a real tough one. Only had brief spell in Prem at Southampton after Strachan. A dozen games or so. I think he replaced Dalglish in the original squad in 86 although he was in the Spain 82 squad too.
  • good question
  • edited October 2013
    Can I pose an Addick related International goalie question.

Rob Elliott was on the bench last night for the Republic of Ireland but didn't come on so remains uncapped.

Who are the 4 goalies who played at some stage in goal for Charlton to have been capped by the Republic?

• Kiely
    Randolph
  • Keily
    Randolph
  • Roy Aitken was also caretaker manager at Villa for a short period during pre-season.
  • Keily
    Randolph

I guessing at either Don Townsend or Ray Tracey
  • Sponsored links:

• sm said:

Roy Aitken was also caretaker manager at Villa for a short period during pre-season.

Yes but didn't manage in the Prem, just friendlies. O'Leary finished the 2005/6 season and O'Neil began the next one.
  • Riviera said:

sm said:

Roy Aitken was also caretaker manager at Villa for a short period during pre-season.

Yes but didn't manage in the Prem, just friendlies. O'Leary finished the 2005/6 season and O'Neil began the next one.
    But they were a Premiership team - see the question!

• Re the Goalie...Jim McDonagh was with us, but not sure if he ever actually played a game here.
  • Kiely and Randolph are 2.Jim McDonagh was only an unused sub,so there are 2 more.
  • edited October 2013
    sm said:

Riviera said:

sm said:

But they were a Premiership team - see the question!

See the answer.
  • <
    Richard J said:

Rob Elliott was on the bench last night for the Republic of Ireland but didn't come on so remains uncapped.

Who are the 4 goalies who played at some stage in goal for Charlton to have been capped by the Republic?

Kiely

Kearns

Mc Donagh

Randolph (or has he only been capped at age group level?)
  • LenGlover said:

<

Richard J said:

Kiely

Kearns

Mc Donagh

3 out of 4 Len.Mick Kearns played for us in the 70's Randolph has indeed been capped but as I said above McDonagh was only an unused sub once for us at Selhurst.

The 2 clues for the fourth name is that he played for us in the 60's and was best known for his spell at West Ham.

• Here's another one that was doing the rounds in the international money markets today..... Name seven players who have made 150+ appearances in the Prem for two different clubs.
  • Phil Neville
  • Gary Speed
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2013
    Richard J said:

LenGlover said:

<

Richard J said:

Kiely

Kearns

Mc Donagh

3 out of 4 Len.Mick Kearns played for us in the 70's Randolph has indeed been capped but as I said above McDonagh was only an unused sub once for us at Selhurst.

The 2 clues for the fourth name is that he played for us in the 60's and was best known for his spell at West Ham.

Apart from our Hong Kong international Noel Dwyer is the only sixties goalkeeping international I can think of but for some reason I thought he was Welsh!
  • edited October 2013
    LenGlover said:

Richard J said:

LenGlover said:

<

Richard J said:

Kiely

Kearns

Mc Donagh

Apart from our Hong Kong international Noel Dwyer is the only sixties goalkeeping international I can think of but for some reason I thought he was Welsh!
    Noel Dwyer won 14 caps for Ireland,well done Len.He did also play for Swansea which is probably why you associated him with Wales.

• Richard J said:

LenGlover said:

Richard J said:

LenGlover said:

<

Richard J said:

Kiely

Kearns

Mc Donagh

Noel Dwyer won 14 caps for Ireland,well done Len.He did also play for Swansea which is probably why you associated him with Wales.

Thanks Richard. That was a good question!

I think you are correct about the Swansea connection. Somewhere deep in the recesses of my brain I remember reading in the Kentish Independent that charlton had signed an international goalkeeper, Noel Dwyer from Swansea. As a youngster at the time I think I just assumed that he must be Welsh.
  • Teddy Sheringham for Spurs and Man Utd
  • Teddy Sheringham for Spurs and Man Utd

No.

Phil Neville correct. Speed incorrect, a lot of his Leeds games were in the old Div 1
  • Trevor Sinclair & Steve Lomas?
  • Brad Friedel?

• A Cole
    M Carrick?
    D Matteo (L'pool& Leeds)?

• S Campbell