Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England players need more game time.

Smalling started shakily last night but grew stronger as the game went on. Understandeable as he is predominately a CB.
Nevertheless, players like him, Jones and Welbeck need to think what they need to do to get more game time.
Are they happy to play fifthteen games a season and pick up a league winners medal or come on as a sub in a final?
If they really want to improve and be a major player for England they may need to move.
When Utd replace Ferdinand and Vidic, will they give Jones and Smalling time or replace them with established CB's valued at 15m/20m each.
These are enormously talented players; however, will there confidence or stature ever grow being stuck on the bench. If they were playing regularly they could be making more of a contribution to the England team and that can only be good.

Comments

• Options
    Smalling, Jones and Welback are getting Champions League experience at United, something that comes in handy when playing international football. In fact i think Jones and Welbeck and been regulars at United this season.
  • Options
    That is a valid point Valley Gary. To be honest I thought they were still on the peripheral; however, happy to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    There were times last night where our own Jason Euell would have laughed at DW's first touch.
  • Options
    edited October 2013

There were times last night where our own Jason Euell would have laughed at DW's first touch.

Wellbeck and Sturridge looked poles apart technique wise.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

Smalling started shakily last night but grew stronger as the game went on. Understandeable as he is predominately a CB.
    Nevertheless, players like him, Jones and Welbeck need to think what they need to do to get more game time.
    Are they happy to play fifthteen games a season and pick up a league winners medal or come on as a sub in a final?
    If they really want to improve and be a major player for England they may need to move.
    When Utd replace Ferdinand and Vidic, will they give Jones and Smalling time or replace them with established CB's valued at 15m/20m each.
    These are enormously talented players; however, will there confidence or stature ever grow being stuck on the bench. If they were playing regularly they could be making more of a contribution to the England team and that can only be good.

I think you're placing too much stock on matches that rarely happen (in the grand scheme of things). It's waht they do for their clubs week in week out which will have an effect on their confidence and ability.
  • Options
    I also struggle to see what Welbeck brings to the team. He has scored a few goals for England admittedly, but his all round game and technique is very poor for someone playing at Manchester United regularly.

Think he has 50p pieces for boots when I see him play sometimes!
  • Options
    Wellbeck is one of those players you diss then he comes up with a moment of genius , to prove you wrong , he didn't do that last night though, blows hot and cold and needs to be more consistent , has he had much game time at United this season?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Sturridge needs to play more for Liverpool. Hopefully by the end of the season having a full season under Brendan Rodgers with his passing philosophy it should help him learn how to pass a ball.
  • Options
    Defoe should be playing over Wellbeck currently. Just looks way too inexperienced.