Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Red bull

Comments

• Options

Would like to think we wouldn't touch this with a shitty stick, but looking at our current board, I'm not confident that they'd turn it down. I'd rather see us in L2 than in the prem knowing we've sold our soul.

It would truly finish it for me.....................

our current board would sell us to Shylock and Sons if they could make a quick buck.
  • Options
    What about if they kept the name Charlton Athletic but re named The Valley to The Red Bull Valley and our nickname to The Red Wings and our shirt sponsors were Red Bull they dropped the Red Red Robin song for something else. Would anybody be ok with that if we got to the Champions League?
  • Options
    Sell your history for a bright future
  • Options
    For the record im not saying that I would be, I was just asking people's opinion : )
  • Options
    red wings? moody games once a month?

i wouldnt mind ground naming if it meant we definitley stayed there. i dont care what people outside of the club call our ground, its set in stone (poor quality with the lettering faded albeit!) that we know it as The Valley.

i honestly could not give a flying one for Charlton in the Champions League. if we could somehow do it maintaining the integrity and feel of the club, then fine. but its not possible without signing the classer operators that are the modern day champions league footballers. and with such players we would lose the clubs identity.

my overally point is that if it had to be sold, we could do a lot worse (and probably no better) than Red Bull who are a class outfit in terms of long term support for their sporting entities.

and besides, means we could loan BWP, Lloyd Sam and Ruben Bover again! yipee

• Options
    Sadly, I think its far more likely that we would end up as Charlton Red Bulls than there ever being a Palace Red Bulleagles. Seems to me that their board actually give a shit about their club - whereas ours quite clearly could not give a monkey's toss.
  • Options
    Would accept the name Charlton Red Bulls if it was that or go out of existence.
    At the end of the day they will always be Charlton to the fans.

Just as who cares what the 'official' name of The Vallley is - it will always be the Valley to the fans. How many Geordies called their stadium The St James park @ Sports Dircet Stadium ?
  • Options
    Red bull London would be the new name, kit changes to adidas, white shirts red shorts white socks, away navy shirts yellow shorts navy socks. Badge will be the same as Salzburg or new York just with London in it. Trust me nothing about Charlton will remain, probably not even the valley
  • Options
    if it was the valley being sponsored I wouldn't care two hoots as it will always be the valley ,

and we are not a team who in the past has not changed its badge so that would not really bother me tbh

you can not go changing your nick name, but what is ours, the valliants, the addicks, the robins to me we are the addicks

but Red Bull don't do that in every team they are involved in they change the team name they change the team kit they have no time or interest in history of football teams

I have worked with Redbull events and marketing it is one of the most invigorating brands I have worked with its a very good and well organised business with great people working in it but the Brand is the Formost and the key in fact its probably the one of the soft drinks brand where the name is more important than the product itself

But you will have RedBull and their colours and their iconic images everywhere it will fit and will be instructed in meetings and press conferences and release that the word is placed in the correct sentence at every opportunity
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    If say, this happens it could well do with other companies. In 25 years we could have Wolverhampton Walmart, Nottingham Microsoft, whatever. Enough clubs are desperate for money. Success on the pitch would help but the overall aim would be advertising and revenue. That is a worst case, almost dystopian scenario but I think it or similar is feasible. When home tonight I'll post a picture from Belgium which hints at the way things could go.

On the Juventus comment earlier, Fiat are a company from Turin and have been in the club for generations rather than being a rich person's play thing. Many titles have been bankrolled but much of the time they haven't even used the shirt to advertise one of their own brands.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's worth reading the Wikipedia entries of both European clubs they now own, Red Bull Salzburg and RB Leipzig. In the case of the latter club, they are not allowed to call it Red Bull, and are only allowed to own 49%, due to DFA statutes protecting fan ownership. In both cases Red Bull's entry has been far from straightforward, there were vociferous fan reactions. In the case of the Salzburg club, fans have 'done a Wimbledon' by starting again with Austria Salzburg, and are making some tidy progress. In the German case, they first tried to buy another Leipzig club but gave up after fan protests.

I think Bryan_Kynsie is right, if their goal is serious they would buy a club like Palace. This is the problem, the Championship has become a basket case, with very high player costs, unsupported by TV money unless you are a parachute club. Or, based on their Leipzig strategy thez might look a division lower where the entry costs a re low. And having learnt from their experience with fans they'd look for one without much heritage. So the unfortunate choice would be MK...
  • Options
    Much as I'd like to see us back to the Prem League,I think it'd be terrible,terrible if our club were to be rebranded.I can't imagine changing the name of the club,the colour (might not be necessary in this case though),the name of the Valley,the nickname,etc.Where's the identity of the club then?.........And!What if Red Bull sell the club someday?In China,clubs are renamed/rebranded every time they're sold to a new owner(a corporation,a consortium) and that's why we have almost zero football culture.I don't want to see English football deteriorating to Asian level!

I'd welcome a take-over if that brings a massive improvement but please no rebranding...That's the bottom line.
  • Options
    Funny how some who think it may be a good idea are saying things like "well it would be good to see us in the Champions League".

First of all, they would have to throw a ridiculous amount of money at the club to get anywhere near the Champions League. I'm not sure if there even is an amount of money that could lift our club ahead of the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea. If Red Bull took over Charlton, we still wouldn't find ourselves magically transported into Champions League spots like some seem to think.

Secondly, like it has been suggested already, it wouldn't be "Charlton." And by that, I don't mean that it wouldn't "feel" like Charlton - it actually wouldn't be us whatsoever. It wouldn't be much different from the departure between MK Dons and the old Wimbledon fans in the sense that it would be the club starting all over again with a completely different set of principles. They would just be taking our league place, that's the only connection.

And lastly, we would be the first ever English club (that I'm aware of) in the top four divisions to sell its name to a brand. We would be seen as sell outs by the rest of the country and universally hated for being the club that allowed 'modern Football' to completely cross the line in this country. Who could ever enjoy that? Regardless of the Football on show?
  • Options

Would people honestly take a total rebranding which would have to happen in return for prem football and champions league

NO
    TelMc32 said:

Would we then accept Gold, Sullivan & Brady if they accepted a Red Bull buy-out?

Another no. Suspect they would look to do something property wise that may or may not be in our best interests.
  • Options
    I don't want Redbull involved with us (especially not after clicking on that link) but I do find it quite funny that so many are saying if we had a different name, badge and kit then it wouldn't be Charlton... well in my opinion what makes us Charlton is our fans, the characters from over the years, the Valley Party, VOTV, this forum, the people sat around me every week. No changes would lose that and as long as we were all still here bitching about our new Taurine-fuelled owners, and the geezer behind me in the West Upper still shouting "RUBBISH! SORT IT OUT POWELL PEP" whenever we're not winning then it would still be Charlton.

Not a Charlton that I desire, but if it did happen we the fans would still make it our club...

(unless we all upped and formed AFC Charlton I suppose)
  • Options
    To be fair I can see Red Bull buying someone like Barnet if they wanted to takeover a London club or perhaps go even further down the lower league scale like they did in Germany
  • Options
    Leyton Orient could be a good fit, or maybe someone like Barnet or Dagenham
  • Options
    Hereford already have a bull
  • Options
    would this see the return of BWP then?
  • Options
    ^^^the real issues
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wasnt the guy that wrote that article the Cardiff fan that set up bidding to find himself a new team?
  • Options
    Would anybody have a problem with RedBull Charlton Athletic? I would and wouldn't see it as permanent either- only as long as they own us!!! As long as the Charlton Athletic was there and the club was guaranteed a healthy future.
  • Options
    What are you people talking about? It's never going to happen.
  • Options
    Red Bull Addicks
  • Options
    Please welcome....

The Red Bull Red Bulls
  • Options
    DeeBee said:

To be fair I can see Red Bull buying someone like Barnet if they wanted to takeover a London club or perhaps go even further down the lower league scale like they did in Germany

Welling United? They can call it Red Bull Wings
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Funny how some who think it may be a good idea are saying things like "well it would be good to see us in the Champions League".

First of all, they would have to throw a ridiculous amount of money at the club to get anywhere near the Champions League. I'm not sure if there even is an amount of money that could lift our club ahead of the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea. If Red Bull took over Charlton, we still wouldn't find ourselves magically transported into Champions League spots like some seem to think.

Secondly, like it has been suggested already, it wouldn't be "Charlton." And by that, I don't mean that it wouldn't "feel" like Charlton - it actually wouldn't be us whatsoever. It wouldn't be much different from the departure between MK Dons and the old Wimbledon fans in the sense that it would be the club starting all over again with a completely different set of principles. They would just be taking our league place, that's the only connection.

And lastly, we would be the first ever English club (that I'm aware of) in the top four divisions to sell its name to a brand. We would be seen as sell outs by the rest of the country and universally hated for being the club that allowed 'modern Football' to completely cross the line in this country. Who could ever enjoy that? Regardless of the Football on show?

That last paragraph would worry me, but other than that I'd be all over this if it was offered to us. It's no different from all those on here that want a billionaire to come in and throw millions and millions of pounds at our club. At least this way we would be contributing in a small way - the club would be selling 'advertising' and 'marketing' to a company that wants to extend it's brand.

Let's face it the 'Charlton Athletic' brand is never going to be worth enough to prevent us always having another disaster on the horizon. I, for one, am fed up of reading about our race to administration or relegation to the third division. If we had to change our heritage a little to be able to get rid of the constant 'death threats'* then I'd be more than happy with that.

* Please note I'm using this phrase to highlight that the club could go into administration and be liquidated, not that I'm talking about any individual having their life threatened.

However, like some above I, seriously, doubt that they will come in for us. I think the Palace kit is, alone, enough to tempt them to buy the stripy mugs. I mean they really would be able to tweak that kit to look just like a can of the toxic stimulant they sell.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So when Abramovic bought Chelsea they were in the Champions League :D but yes of course it would be obscene, thats football nowadays
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited October 2013
    Why would Red Bull purchase the club, under the terms that TJ is proposing when lots of other potential investors have already (allegedly) turned down the opportunity ?

As Deebee said why not pick up a less indebted club.

Football is already at the service of Sky and Rupert Murdoch to make RM / Sky as much money as possible, so it is not a huge difference for Red Bull to sponsor / run a club. They have done a good job in Formula One with Vettel. Football has already sold its soul, I don't get the outrage at the suggestion of Red Bull sponsoring a club.
  • Options
    I don't think that we are fashionable enough for a company like Redbull. That suits me fine. We are more likely to get brought by Horlicks.