Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Michael Smith - progress at Rotherham (p18)

Comments

• Options
    I don't understand the Gower thing at all. We had him on loan last season so Powell saw what he was about; decided to buy him presumably based on that; then hasn't used him at all. I suppose it could be that we didn't know what Cousins was capable of until he was thrown in at the deep end.
  • Options
    How odd.
    Smith was shipped out to AFCW told to score goals and come back.
    He did that.
    Yet we've opted to sell him and keep Pigott?
    Strange.
  • Options
    Jarman said:

How odd.
    He did that.
    Strange.

Not really. The manager must think Pigott is the better prospect.
  • Options
    Sounds like a circumstantial move to me. Listening to SCP's interview from a month back he sounded quite keen to bring him back and use him. Then again, he probably wasn't expecting a club from the league below to come in and bid good money for him.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Sounds like a circumstantial move to me. Listening to SCP's interview from a month back he sounded quite keen to bring him back and use him. Then again, he probably wasn't expecting a club from the league below to come in and bid good money for him.

Also a month back we still had TJ and MS as our owners. Presumably we now have a bit of cash/allowance to do some business.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Good luck Michael. Deserved a bigger chance in the team ahead of Joe Piggott, we'll never know how things would have panned out now.

Interesting. I only very occasionally go to the youth games but have always rated Piggot the better prospect of the two when I have seen him, to me he is the more natural goalscorer (although he has not yet demonstrated that in the first team). What is it you saw when watching Smith that made you think he deserved the better chance?
  • Options
    Who the heck is Reserves?!?! He's deffo ITK.

Any news on a takeover Reserves?
  • Options

Who the heck is Reserves?!?! He's deffo ITK.

Any news on a takeover Reserves?

Pretty sure he just knows smith
  • Options

cafctom said:

Good luck Michael. Deserved a bigger chance in the team ahead of Joe Piggott, we'll never know how things would have panned out now.

Interesting. I only very occasionally go to the youth games but have always rated Piggot the better prospect of the two when I have seen him, to me he is the more natural goalscorer (although he has not yet demonstrated that in the first team). What is it you saw when watching Smith that made you think he deserved the better chance?

I think both need/ed a proper look at. I thought like you piggot was the better player but smith was scoring for afcw so when he came back I was looking forward to seeing him getting his chance over the next few months. as I think everyone was.

• Options
    edited January 2014

Jarman said:

How odd.
    He did that.
    Strange.

Not really. The manager must think Pigott is the better prospect.
    Have we had loads of offers for Pigott then ? No of course not.

It's not strange at all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Pigott is 20 and Smith 22.

Who knows how Pigott will look in two years time? I hope he gets a chance to go out on loan. He did well with Bromley but that is two divisions below AFC Wimbledon.

If, and it is a BIG IF, we get more strikers in then Pigott to AFC or another League two club could see a similar improvement in Joe as we have seen in Smith.

• Options

I don't understand the Gower thing at all. We had him on loan last season so Powell saw what he was about; decided to buy him presumably based on that; then hasn't used him at all. I suppose it could be that we didn't know what Cousins was capable of until he was thrown in at the deep end.

I will wait awhile but I can shed a bit of light on that, but out of respect for mark I will wait until he knows where he will be playing ,

• Options

I will wait awhile but I can shed a bit of light on that, but out of respect for mark I will wait until he knows where he will be playing ,
    NLA Didn't Mark say he was going to retire at the end of the season? if so would he be going anywhere else?
  • Options
    he did mate I don't think it was 100% cut and dry but I am led to believe this was a consideration, lets just say that currently any of our squad could be able to leave if the right deal for club and player appears
  • Options

he did mate I don't think it was 100% cut and dry but I am led to believe this was a consideration, lets just say that currently any of our squad could be able to leave if the right deal for club and player appears

That's a very worrying statement.

• Options
    would have thought that is always the case though as long as it's the right deal for the Club
  • Options
    Pigott is not actually that young anymore. He has got to go out on loan soon.
  • Options
    I dont see it as a worrying statement as such tbh, we have players that maybe are in the end of their contract that don't all fit with the long term plan, if we can move them on and get in a few different heads that fit with the long term view and are better than what we have, its just getting a return now on a player instead of nothing at the end of the season

if we get good offers for dale then that is only going with what scp said at the beginning of the season with regards to knuckling down and earn the move and it will be honoured, if we get enough money for cousins offered then he will go the same as all our home grown talent always has,

with yann and wiggins tbh they are arguably after cousins the most saleable players and therefor if the right money comes in we would be foolish not to take it,

any player sales imho would then only strengthen the budget we have to purchase
  • Options
    it will also enable fringe players to go freeing up wages
  • Options
    Smith is better than pig, pig needs games ship pig out!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Smith is a different type of player to Pigott. They played together very effectively for the under-21's under Nathan Jones. Pigott is a natural goal-scorer, whereas Smith will play right across the front area, causing defenders problems, and helping players like Pigott to score. Smith was one of the main reasons Pigott scored so freely for the under-21's. Despite his tender years Pigott could have been an important player for us this season if he had been brought on properly. I hope he shows a lot of mental toughness and bounces back from what was undoubtedly a major knock to his confidence.

• Options

Dazzler21 said:

Smith is a different type of player to Pigott. They played together very effectively for the under-21's under Nathan Jones. Pigott is a natural goal-scorer, whereas Smith will play right across the front area, causing defenders problems, and helping players like Pigott to score. Smith was one of the main reasons Pigott scored so freely for the under-21's. Despite his tender years Pigott could have been an important player for us this season if he had been brought on properly. I hope he shows a lot of mental toughness and bounces back from what was undoubtedly a major knock to his confidence.

1000% this. Said it many times that if managed properly Pigott is our future. I fear the Millwall game and crass comments on here from certain annoying ignorant Lifers (which he would have read btw), may have knocked his confidence.

• Options
    Agree with AndyNelson and Bolloxbolder.

That's why I hope Joe goes out on loan to a league club to get his confidence up and show himself, Powell and us what he can do.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Perfect analysis two very effective but different styles of striker, Nathan Jones saw the ability and paired them up well, who knows how they would've faired for the 1st team this season had that been carried through ?

smudge is a great lad on and off the pitch and I wish him all the best at Swindon and will enjoy watching his football career progress in the coming years
  • Options
    smith wont get any better joe piggot will
  • Options
    Pig ott better improve he's 20 and still not a finisher IMO.
  • Options
    I think Nathan jones is better placed to make that judgement mate than you or i
  • Options

Nathan Jones described Pigott as the most natural finisher he'd ever worked with.

• Options
    The pig shall score a wembley hat trick for us. Of this I am certain
  • Options

Nathan Jones described Pigott as the most natural finisher he'd ever worked with.

#

precisely my point mate