Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Our transfer policy

I appreciate that the club is running at a loss and we have pretty much no money available, but I am surprised at some of the loan signings we have have missed out on recently. Particularly Jesse Lingaard who went to Birmingham. As I understand it, they are in a similar financial postion to ourselves, but seeemed to have picked up a real quality addition to their team. I know we got Razak and Frimpong from Premiership teams last season, and both of them were absolute rubbish, but has this put us off going for these type of players moving forward? These players must be at the big clubs for some reason, and surely exploring this avenue will yield one gem. I'm sure many will say we do try to go down this route, but I find it amazing that Barnsley can get Butland and Birmingham can get Lingaard, two teams that are of a similar level to ourselves. Our central midfield is especially useless (Jackson & Stephens), so I would love someone like Lingaard. In addition, although Hamer has on occasion proved to pull out some decent saves, he doesn't fill me with confidence, and Butland (as we found to our detriment last season), is immense.

Comments

• Jackson useless????
  • Are Birmingham still getting parachute payments? Also, paying wages at levels above our expectations might be a problem.
  • Loans arene't free - they can be very expensive! Neither JJ or Stephens are useless IMO.
  • I have to confess to being surprised that we've done nothing about Kermorgant as he is so important to our side. I know he's had a late fitness test or two but we have managed 0 from a potential 6 points already and it's clear that without him we are much weaker.

I would have thought that this is exactly what they are talking about with the term 'Emergency Loan'. If he doesn't play tomorrow, especially if we lose, then I think a mistake has been made by not bringing in a loan replacement as soon as he was crocked.

This is what Rib Hulse was last season and despite the different reviews of him I think he contributed a lot during his time here.
  • I have to confess to being surprised that we've done nothing about Kermorgant as he is so important to our side. I know he's had a late fitness test or two but we have managed 0 from a potential 6 points already and it's clear that without him we are much weaker.

I would have thought that this is exactly what they are talking about with the term 'Emergency Loan'. If he doesn't play tomorrow, especially if we lose, then I think a mistake has been made by not bringing in a loan replacement as soon as he was crocked.

This is what Rib Hulse was last season and despite the different reviews of him I think he contributed a lot during his time here.

I agree, Rob Hulse was a much smaller name that Razak or Frimpong, but actually played football, and played it well.
  • I hear rumours too that we are one of the lowest ( if not the lowest ) wage payers, I would think any one coming in on a short term loan wants paying at least as much as their mother club
  • Loans aren't just about money, maybe we couldn't guareentee play every week. The players also have a choice and might prefer other locations becauyse they ar nearer family.
    I think you've tried to answer a multi-colured question using black and white.
  • Ashaddick said:

I hear rumours too that we are one of the lowest ( if not the lowest ) wage payers, I would think any one coming in on a short term loan wants paying at least as much as their mother club

Don't know much about these things, but not sure the player would take a hit - would be an arrangement between the two clubs how much the club being loaned the player would contribute towards the wages (and could be anything or nothing).
  • Jackson has been carried for the past two seasons. His goals were what kept him in the team, as he is so slow that we effectively have one operating in central midfield when he plays and we go 4-4-2.

This season, he looks slower than ever, and I think 90% of the reason Powell switched to 3-5-2 was to accomodate him just floating and making late runs. If he was a better player then I can understand this, but Powell is obviously doing all he can to keep him in the team, to the detriment of our performances as a whole. He doesn't look like he's going to score as many goals this season, and we cannot afford to carry him anymore.

Re: Stephens - diabolical. Fannies around as if he's a superb passer and can pick out defence splitting passes, but in reality, is lightweight, gives the ball away, and together with Jackson, we might as well have a black hole in the middle.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ah the old 'what does he do for us except score goals' argument. We saw it many times with Waggy. Of course with Jackson there's the whole 'managing the team' thing that he does as well.
  • @cabbles

So you don't rate Jackson and Stephens then?!
  • Who do you suggest we play in Jackson's place? Jackson averages a goal every 3 games from midfield, wonder where we would have been last season if we hadn't 'carried him'
  • Yep, I agree great goalscoring record the past two seasons that the 'team' had be picked to play around and support. This season, as mentioned he looks slower than ever, we've suddenly gone from a 4 man midfield (2 in the centre), to a 5 man midfield (3 in the centre), to try and not get overrun, and let JJ do his thing. Powell knows he can't drop him because he's captain, so the likes of Pritchard got shoved out to the right, and everyone else must adapt.

Re; the 'managing the team' - hahahahaha - he's vocal when he scores and we're winning, he's a sorry state of captain when we come up against performances last week.

My point is because the team have been adpated to suit him, that is why he averages a goal every 3 games (I would expect that as well).

An example of Powell shaping the team around JJ, Pritchard out on the right. Pritchard (apart from last sat), generally looks solid in the centre, but because we've got main man JJ, no, he has to play on the wing.

• " he's vocal when he scores and we're winning, he's a sorry state of captain when we come up against performances last week."

Say what? He is just about the only player who came out with any credit whatsoever from the debacle last week. He hardly played better than anyone else but seemed to be the only player in Charlton colours who had half a clue what it meant to the fans. And there have been too many times JJ has been the difference between three points or one, or one point and none for him to be 'useless.' Past his best is a fair criticism, saying he's crap is certainly not.
  • Say what?! Classic
  • thenewbie said:

" he's vocal when he scores and we're winning, he's a sorry state of captain when we come up against performances last week."

Say what? He is just about the only player who came out with any credit whatsoever from the debacle last week. He hardly played better than anyone else but seemed to be the only player in Charlton colours who had half a clue what it meant to the fans. And there have been too many times JJ has been the difference between three points or one, or one point and none for him to be 'useless.' Past his best is a fair criticism, saying he's crap is certainly not.

This.

and I also enjoyed the "say what?!"
  • Transfer policy?????
  • Ifw e do have very limited funds, then I doubt a keeper was top of our list. And what's the point for a few months? Hamer is the last of our worries. Birmingham have uncovered a gem in Lindgard by the looks of it but he needed to be guaranteed first team football - could/would we offer that?
  • rikofold said:

Ashaddick said:

I hear rumours too that we are one of the lowest ( if not the lowest ) wage payers, I would think any one coming in on a short term loan wants paying at least as much as their mother club

Don't know much about these things, but not sure the player would take a hit - would be an arrangement between the two clubs how much the club being loaned the player would contribute towards the wages (and could be anything or nothing).
    Think this is true. Warnock says in his auto biog that he let Ephraim go to Charlton on loan "for free".

And no I didn't buy the book, just looked up Charlton in the index at Waterstones.
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:

" he's vocal when he scores and we're winning, he's a sorry state of captain when we come up against performances last week."

Yep, agreed. He cares about our club IMO, and to suggest Powell only plays him because he's captain is not accurate I would think.
  • Our transfer policy is to save money, that we don't have and the board don't want to spend.
  • cabbles said:

I appreciate that the club is running at a loss and we have pretty much no money available, but I am surprised at some of the loan signings we have have missed out on recently. Particularly Jesse Lingaard who went to Birmingham. As I understand it, they are in a similar financial postion to ourselves, but seeemed to have picked up a real quality addition to their team. I know we got Razak and Frimpong from Premiership teams last season, and both of them were absolute rubbish, but has this put us off going for these type of players moving forward? These players must be at the big clubs for some reason, and surely exploring this avenue will yield one gem. I'm sure many will say we do try to go down this route, but I find it amazing that Barnsley can get Butland and Birmingham can get Lingaard, two teams that are of a similar level to ourselves. Our central midfield is especially useless (Jackson & Stephens), so I would love someone like Lingaard. In addition, although Hamer has on occasion proved to pull out some decent saves, he doesn't fill me with confidence, and Butland (as we found to our detriment last season), is immense.

Cabbles, I think you talk a lot of sense, but the trouble with loans, are that they can be very unpredictable.

Lingard was on loan at Leicester last season & produced nothing of substance.

Leicester City (loan)[edit]

On 6 November 2012, Lingard and teammate Michael Keane joined Leicester City on loan for a month.[6] This was later extended to 2 January 2013.[7] Lingard made his debut for Leicester City on 6 November, in a 0–0 draw away to Bolton Wanderers, coming on as a substitute in the 85th minute.[8]
  • Incredible what we are up against in this league. On a podcast I subscribe to about the Football League (called We are going up) they stated Forest got Chalobah over Watford because they agreed to pay Chelsea his £30k per week wages.

The wages at Chelski absolutely suck. Sky is ruining the game I fell in love with in the early 70's
  • Maybe the board are blocking loanees as we paid out - allegedly - big money for Razak, Frimpong and wages to Sordell and Obika and we hardly play them. What is the point of bringing in loanees when we don't play them. The answer that they were crap only raises the question about whoever brought them in.
  • There's a transfer policy ? There's a thing. Is it something equivalent to the 99p shop or rummaging around in the bargain bucket ?

I agree with bb above though, it is all about money, and monopoly. Not competition. It is more and more difficult for smaller clubs to compete.

I love my club, but if Charlton wasn't there, I would not bother with football, Murdoch and Sky.
  • What's weird is Barnsley is a very well run club in terms of £££. Would be interesting to know what they are paying Butland, as (since Mike Sheron) they do not pay big wages.
  • Isn't Butland at Barnsley for 90 odd days? If so, they know the outlay so it's easy to budget for - they might be gambling on getting up the table by Xmas and then see how it goes from there.
  • edited September 2013
    Cabbles said 'Powell knows he can't drop him because he's captain'.
    Well he could always take the captaincy away from him but he won't why? Because he is the manager's general on the field, the one he has hand picked to be his leader, to fire up the troops, to be his mouthpiece and to inspire by example. He is not the fastest thing on two legs granted but he has dragged us back from the brink on more than one occasion with his goals and like it or not when he doesn't play we really miss him as we do Yann. He never hid last week and showed he cared and took a booking as the frustration of a crap team performance got the better of him. Having met him he is also a top bloke. As for Stephens he is like Marmite which I happen to like but hey, it's all about opinions. Like it or not we are stuck with what we've got so don't expect many if any new additions, although Cousins could offer some respite, CP will just have to make the best of it as I am sure he will.
  • The popularity of Jackson strikes me as a fairly obvious form of familiarity bias, in this context meaning a tendency to rate his qualities higher than those of hundreds of potentially alternative midfielders with whom we are less familiar.