Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PPE and Uniforms for work

Just a quick question for the experts out there as I can't find a definitive answer on t'web.

If you have to wear either PPE or protective clothing for H&S reasons and that has to be put on at work; can your employer insist this is done in your own time before you 'clock on', or can you 'clock on' and then get into the protective uniform before commencing work?

Comments

• Options
    I think your employer can insist you are dressed as required, ready to start work at contracted start time. Therefore get dressed in your own time.
  • Options
    The latter as far as I'm concerned, not an expert but its accepted where I work.
  • Options
    That's the problem - some workplaces it would appear to be the former and some the latter.

There must be some legislation/guidance as to which one is correct - or do some employers make allowances and others don't?
  • Options
    Imagine it would be a matter of employers discretion. If you worked on a building site you would need to be dressed appropriately before you start work, so I can't imagine there would be legislation that goes against that.
  • Options
    What if you were on that building site dealing with asbestos removal for instance? You may have to have full PPE, including full protective clothing and face masks. that could take you a good 20 minutes to put on.
  • Options
    Whatever the answer N I can supply and decorate smiley smiley
  • Options
    My ex-wife's cousin is an immunologist. He works in level 4 bio-containment facilities (currently developing a vaccine for the Hanta virus). It takes him about an hour to get into his lab every day - I think it would be a bit silly if they expected him to do that off the clock!

I reckon if it's the sort of role where you have to get fully dressed up in some pretty spiteful gear, then it would probably be accepted that you could get changed as part of your working day. Five minutes or so to change shoes, chuck a hi-vis vest and a hard hat on is probably classed as 'getting ready'.
  • Options
    Only time I need PPE at my work is if I'm needed for a kitted team. I avoid it like the plague.
  • Options
    Have not done HR for some time, but normally your contract of employment will tell you.

It is normal to have a " be ready to commence work" clause in your contract, which if it has will mean you need to be dressed in the appropriate clothes at your designated start time.
  • Options
    As an Underwriter (zzzz) your employer may have a PPE Condition on their Insurance policy - therefore you have to wear at all times otherwise a claim may be invalid.