Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ashes 2013/2014

ENGLAND ASHES SQUAD
Cook, Prior, Anderson, Bairstow, Ballance, Bell, Broad, Carberry, Finn, Panesar, Pietersen, Rankin, Root, Stokes, Swann, Tremlett, Trott.

I'm very surprised at Carberry's inclusion, I really don't rate him as Test class. Ballance is supposed to be very good, shame he's not English. good to see Monty picked after his troubled summer.
I'm excited about Stokes, he really could become a proper all-rounder and bat 6.

Bresnan not included but will travel to Oz to continue his rehab.

Onions will only be a flight away with Lions or development squad.

This series will be no cake walk and a draw will be more than acceptable.

Comments

• Hmmm, interesting squad, picked Rankin, Stokes AND Finn whilst Onions and Bresnan miss out.
  • If Woakes and Kerrigan hadn't been picked for the Oval, they might have been in this Ashes squad...
  • No Kerrigan, surely something wrong:) Poor Tredders, but the right decision. Feel sorry for Taylor, Onions and Compton. The Aussies do not like facing Onions and I feel his exclusion is a mistake.
  • Riviera said:

ENGLAND ASHES SQUAD
    Cook, Prior, Anderson, Bairstow, Ballance, Bell, Broad, Carberry, Finn, Panesar, Pietersen, Rankin, Root, Stokes, Swann, Tremlett, Trott.

I'm very surprised at Carberry's inclusion, I really don't rate him as Test class. Ballance is supposed to be very good, shame he's not English. good to see Monty picked after his troubled summer.
    I'm excited about Stokes, he really could become a proper all-rounder and bat 6.

Stokes isn't English as he was born in New Zealand.

• dickplumb said:

Riviera said:

ENGLAND ASHES SQUAD

Stokes isn't English as he was born in New Zealand.

Even worse then.

Trott
    Stokes
    Ballance
    Pieterson
    Rankin
    Prior
    All not English born.
  • Hmmm, interesting squad, picked Rankin, Stokes AND Finn whilst Onions and Bresnan miss out.

Bresnan has not missed out as such. He is not fit. He will continue his rehab in Australia and can be picked any time. Any England players can be drafted in whenever. It's not like the old days. Look at Australia this season, two players played in the 1st Test and they weren't even in the tour squad.
  • If Woakes and Kerrigan hadn't been picked for the Oval, they might have been in this Ashes squad...

Well thank goodness they were!
  • We have only just played the Australians. I thought ashes were every two years.

We've gone a year early so as not to have the World Cup immediately after an Ashes series.
  • A predictable selection full of weaknesses .. Panesar, Bairstow, Rankin, Tremlett .. that will come back minus the ashes
  • Riviera said:

ENGLAND ASHES SQUAD

I think carberry's quality. Has been for years. One of those players who's FC stats dont give the whole picture. Was gutted when Kent let him go.
  • Sponsored links:

• So happy for Ballance. Played at school with him and it was always so clear he was going to go far. Great lad as well.
  • Riviera said:

Hmmm, interesting squad, picked Rankin, Stokes AND Finn whilst Onions and Bresnan miss out.

Bresnan has not missed out as such. He is not fit. He will continue his rehab in Australia and can be picked any time. Any England players can be drafted in whenever. It's not like the old days. Look at Australia this season, two players played in the 1st Test and they weren't even in the tour squad.
    True, depends on how well his back heals up, might not be available at all anyway.
  • A predictable selection full of weaknesses .. Panesar, Bairstow, Rankin, Tremlett .. that will come back minus the ashes

I hope Panesar and Bairstow don't see much Ashes action. But I think the rest of the squad is just right. Picking tall fast bowlers on bouncy pitches is the way to go. Rankin impressed me in the ODIs and if given the chance could cause the Aussies a few problems.

• I think Rankin could be our fourth bowler in the 1st test. He really impressed me, but as he cannot bat this may count against him, which is totally wrong.
  • Pick bowlers who bowl and batsmen who bat. That is what Test cricket is about.