Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs. Millwall | 21st September 2013 | Match Preview, Predictions, Views & News

WSSWSS
edited September 2013 in General Charlton
Introduction

The 'big one' feels that little less 'big' in the modern era. Whether it's a lack of enjoyment due to numerous negative results, empathy with football in general or a disjointed start to the season for Charlton, is unclear yet the fact remains the Addicks need a result against their local rivals this weekend in the early kickoff which is live on Sky (shudder).

Midweek results saw a defeat at Huddersfield for Charlton whilst Millwall surprised many by recording a 3-1 victory for the 8,451 fans in attendance against the early season pacesetters, Blackpool.

Opposition

One new manager and 10 new signings for Millwall saw a summer of transition for our friends from the waste disposal site. Steve Lomas' appointment was a risky one and up until Tuesday looked a doomed one. The former West Ham man led Millwall to a grand total of two points before the victory against Paul Ince's men, including a 5-1 humiliation at home to Derby which resulted in a ugly scenes featuring former loanee Adam Smith.

The Lions have scored seven goals in the campaign so far and with Steve Morison up front there will always be a threat should he get a sniff of goal. To add some additional (ginger) spice to the fixture, Nicky Bailey returns to the scene of his (literally) out of the world penalty efforts - there will no doubt be some gamesmanship from the former Valley captain and favourite.

Player to Watch

Unfortunately it has to be Mr Bailey. We know what he is capable of, both good and bad. He scored a screamer in this fixture when dressed in red and after scoring midweek he'll be hoping to replicate his exploits in the blue of Millwall.

The Line Up

Does 5-3-2 work? Should we play with two natural wingers? Do we have the ability to have just two central midfielders? If Yann isn't fit, what the bloody hell do we do? These are just some of the questions Powell will be asking himself in the lead up to Saturday.

With Chris Solly missing a succession of games and the extent of Kermorgant's injury unknown picking a team for this week is a bit of guesswork. Sordell's performances have not exactly inspired when given the chance but his well publicised history with our friends in Bermondsey may give the Karma gods a reason to look favourably us on Saturday. Unfortunately, I think they're Millwall fans.

Richard Wood in defence seems to be growing in stature with every game he plays and I can see him partnering Michael Morrison in defence as Powell reverts to a back four with Solly returning. Poor old Dorian. Wilson may line up in front of the two-time player of the year, with the impressive Pritchard partnering Captain Jackson in the middle. Cameron Stewart's explosive cameo against Huddersfield could see him earn a first start on the left whilst Yann and Church start up top. Risky? Not against this lot, let's have some NLA sized balls and go for it.

Prediction

1-1

Come On You Reds!!

Comments

• Options
    2-0 Charlton, we have to win this one !
  • Options
    1-1 once again not winning a derby
  • Options
    Score: 3-2

Attendance: 18, 500
  • Options
    My heart says 2-1
    My head since 0-3
    Lets hope my heart is right
  • Options
    Blackpool's defence was shocking last night. Home banker. 2-0.
  • Options

The last time the Spanners had a Northern Irish International managing them we beat them 2-0 at the Valley.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

HATE THEM HATE THEM HATE THEM

The m....... word is banned from our household and when i slip i get a dig from my 7 year old for saying it

take a point

a dull draw at best with a tame atmosphere
  • Options
    I haven't been as confident that we won't win at home since the last time we played them

Hopefully a bit more fight than the game in March but I've been going long enough to know we won't win this

1-2 Hamer beaten from distance again, probably Bailey, and we have to endure Millllllllzzzzzz for the last half an hour.

15899 inc 3200 spanners

Really up for this game.....
  • Options
    4-1 home win. No doubt about it
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We must rehearse attacking throw-ins and free-kicks until they become instinctive. Start at a high tempo - and maintain it. Get forward quickly, with support from midfield. Don't be afraid of shooting from 20 yards - a deflection might give us a corner. Deliver fast and accurate crosses. Put the opposition on the back foot - then get them by the throat.

This prescription is not just for the Millwall game on Saturday. To compete in this division, we must do it again and again.
  • Options
    2-0 addicks....watching on TV with some mates up here in Nottingham so no match thread from me this week, apologies to all, will be back next week.
  • Options
    We need to attack and get rid of this Millwall phobia. They are starting to come good. No surprise as they have spent a lot of their American owners' cash and signed a few good players.
    I fancy us. WSS is on the right lines .. 4 4 2 is must be but I would have Dervite for Wood and Harriott for Wilson. Hope that Kermorgant and Solly are fit, if not play Pigott from the start, he can handle it.

CAFC 2 v Millwall 1
  • Options
    Like last season its à battle of who is the least shit on the day. 1-1. Shit game, shit turnout, same excuses, drab atmosphere. Is this even a derby any more? Not at the valley it seems.

Actually looking forward to the forest game more.
  • Options
    1-0 to us pritchard to score gonna chuck a 5er on it aswell
  • Options
    don't think I'll be buying a sunday paper and will be deleting the game from sky+
  • Options
    Agree with Eltham. Been supporting Charlton too long to realise we never turn up against them. Home defeat followed up by getting 3 points in our next game.
  • Options

Actually looking forward to the forest game more.

Me too! Expected a comfortable win this time last week. Now I'm not so sure. I think the turn out will be poor due to a combination of tv, prime ticket price, general apathy at the moment and fear of a ruck.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    We never get a win against them and don't see Saturday being any different. 0-2

Kerm should be back though.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    0-2 and arguments with the mrs and in laws as usual
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Last time we lost to them it was the start of our 8 match unbeaten run and they slumped into à relegation battle. Typical.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Attendance: 18, 500

lol, dream on, not sure what the "announced" figure will be but I would guess around 12,000 in the ground.
  • Options
    1-3 loss, cant see it going our way at the moment
  • Options
    4-4
  • Options
    I will be watching on Al Jazeera TV here in Dubai & I fully expect my record to continue of NEVER having seen Charlton beat Millwall, despite more than 40 years of watching. We have come very close twice - the game at the old Den when we were leading 2-0 going into injury time, but somehow managed to turn certain victory into a 2-2 draw, and the 4-4 draw at the Valley in more recent times when we were leading 4-3 going into injury time.....etc. etc.

I am expecting us to roll over 2-0, just like last year.
  • Options
    Actually think a draw.

Another limp defeat to them and i'm likely to throw a 'never stepping foot in The Valley again' tantrum of epic proportions. Be warned of low-flying dummies being spat out.
  • Options
    This will be my 3rd time attending a match against Millwall at the Valley. Therefore 3rd time lucky, going for 3-0 to CP's Red & White Army.
  • Options
    Chris Powell confirms he expects Yann Kermorgant to be available for Saturday. #PressDay (IL) #cafc
  • Options
    Solly will miss
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Chris Powell confirms he expects Yann Kermorgant to be available for Saturday. #PressDay (IL) #cafc

This is excellent news.