Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bob Woolmer - (Not) Murdered (Update)

The police have just announced that he was strangled. This is dreadful news and one wonders where is all going to lead to.

Comments

• Options
    If the CCTV tapes from the hotel have been kept and not taped over then it should not take too long to work out the guilty parties.

Apparently there were no signs of forced entry to his room but that does not mean that it was neccesarily "someone he knew," ie players/coaching/management that did it.

If someone knocks on your hotel room door, especially in a high-class resort, then you would obviously open the door anyway at which point they could force their way in without breaking locks or whatever.

Terrible news, although not a surprise because the whole thing just did not seem right from the outset when taken in context of everything else that has been going on in recent months with the Pakistan team.
  • Options
    scuse my french, but fukinell. that is bloody awful. I hope they bring this killer to justice. shocking news.
  • Options
    I SAID ON MY ORIGINAL POST WHEN HE DIED I HOPED THERE WAS NOTHING SINISTER ALTHOUGH ALL ALONG I FELT THERE WAS.
  • Options
    this is unbeliveable.

Is it to do with betting scandals I wonder
  • Options
    Shocking
  • Options
    think this is going to be something that is going to be very hard to get the truth from. Will need to be an international investigation as i'm sure the purpetrators will be from Pakistan, which will be hard to get information from. Whoever could commit such an awful crime will be a professional and will have carefully covered their tracks, you would of thought.

Looks to me like he was probably being blackmailed by a high level betting syndicate, or something along those lines.

Terrible, and may well have serious repurcussions on high level sport.
  • Options
    I could be mistaken here but surely a top class hotel has CCTV. If so then just see who went to his room? Unless they've been clever enough to steal the CCTV tapes or cover the camera.
  • Options
    which an assassin could be able to arrange.

sounds like something out of book. Very sad.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]which an assassin could be able to arrange.

sounds like something out of book. Very sad.

But he was killed the day after they lost to Ireland. That's a bit quick to arrange an assasin and plan a murder, whilst covering your tracks.
  • Options
    My wife commented this morning that it sounds like something from Murder She Wrote and that Jessica Fletcher would be able to solve it in an instant. My first reaction was to scoff but the more I think about it...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It was someone who had to big enough to overpower him as he was a big lad. I reckon it was Inzamam!!
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]this is unbeliveable.

Is it to do with betting scandals I wonder[/quote]

Without knowing anything more than anyone else that's the obvious place to start looking. Sarfraz Nawaw (an ex-Pakistani cricketer) claims that he was murdered to silence him from speaking out against match fixing/illegal betting.

Who did it...if it has some connection with match fixing then one or more of the Pakistani squad must know something. I'm not suggesting they were directly responsible but if they've been taking bribes to throw matches then they are likely to be connected.

Woolmer's death is the tip of a very murky story. Cricket suffered a big scandal with match fixing in the late '90s with Hansie Cronje etc, this looks like the problem never really went away.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]

Woolmer's death is the tip of a very murky story. Cricket suffered a big scandal with match fixing in the late '90s with Hansie Cronje etc, this looks like the problem never really went away.
    And look what happened to him!
  • Options
    And look what happened to him!

There was an investigation into his death - a plane accident, but it was found to be pilot error.

An Indian friend of mine told me a story about a ODI when the Indian team had taken a bribe to throw a match, the problem was that so had the Pakistani team they were playing.
  • Options
    "An Indian friend of mine told me a story about a ODI when the Indian team had taken a bribe to throw a match, the problem was that so had the Pakistani team they were playing."

That's actually quite funny. I am picturing real comedy cricket.........
  • Options
    This is dreadful, dreadful news.

I have absolutely no interest in this World Cup now.

The Tournament must go on though just as the1972 Olympics did following the tragic murder of the Israeli athletes.

Abandoning the Tournament would send a message to every nutter that murder can halt anything and give them the oxygen of publicity.
  • Options
    The Pakistan team have asked to leave Jamaica as soon as possible on SSN .

Gets stranger by the minute all this
  • Options
    Did the The Sun this morning.

FRONT PAGE: Cricket Coach: It Was Murder

BACK PAGE: If You Lose, Don't Come Back MAC

!!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]This is dreadful, dreadful news.

The Tournament must go on though just as the1972 Olympics did following the tragic murder of the Israeli athletes.

Abandoning the Tournament would send a message to every nutter that murder can halt anything and give them the oxygen of publicity.

How about the ICC renaming the Cup - The Bob Woolmer Trophy, that would be a great mark of respect and send out the right message.
  • Options
    WSSWSS
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    How about the ICC renaming the Cup - The Bob Woolmer Trophy, that would be a great mark of respect and send out the right message.
    Sorry, i don't think that is right.

Although it was a tragic event and everything you cannot rename the World Cup because of it. Make a tribute fair enough but do you really think that Bob Woolmer derserves the most coveted trophy in cricket to be named after him ahead of far greater players in the past?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]This is dreadful, dreadful news.

Can't do that. Do we have the Andres Escobar football world cup?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]The Pakistan team have asked to leave Jamaica as soon as possible on SSN .

but haven't they been knocked out already? of course they want to go home ASAP.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    Sorry, i don't think that is right.

Although it was a tragic event and everything you cannot rename the World Cup because of it. Make a tribute fair enough but do you really think that Bob Woolmer derserves the most coveted trophy in cricket to be named after him ahead of far greater players in the past?

Fair enough, it was just an idea. I don't feel that strongly about it.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Shag[/cite]The Pakistan team have asked to leave Jamaica as soon as possible on SSN .

but haven't they been knocked out already? of course they want to go home ASAP.

Well i woud say they want to go home even more now that they have all been finger printed and so therefore have the finger of accusation pointing at them. bricking it.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Exactly . If you get knocked out of the cup , you don't ask the Old Bill if you can go home do you
  • Options
    It is an absolute tragedy - it is only sport and one he did so much for. This had best not be the only thing he is remembered for.

Unfortunately I feel that they will find money at the route of all this.

RIP, Mr Woolmer.
  • Options
    On the BBC now that Woolmer was not murdered:

"According to the Daily Mail, police in Kingston now believe Mr Woolmer died of natural causes, brought on by chronic ill-health and possibly diabetes."