Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Billy Connolly - The Big Yin is Unwell

Stunned to read that the legend that is Billy Connolly has been receiving treatment for Cancer and - unbelievably - also very likely has early stages of Parkinson's.

The 'Big Yin' always seemed indestructible so to hear of him being seriously unwell is such a shock, especially if it turns out he does have bloody Parkinsons.

He has had such an amazing life, going from the Glasgow shipyards to global fame and fortune and has provided laughter and inspiration to millions of people.

Get well soon ya big hairy bastard.

Comments

• Options
    I remember one of his stand up routines was about going to the doctor and him checking his prostrate.

Get well soon Big Yin. Still one of the funniest stand ups around.
  • Options

I remember one of his stand up routines was about going to the doctor and him checking his prostrate.

Get well soon Big Yin. Still one of the funniest stand ups around.

Bloody Hell! You're right, I remember that routine now, it was hilarious.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Read his biography a couple of weeks ago written by his wife Pamela Stephenson. Great read, especially the early recollections.

Get well soon the Big Yin.
  • Options
    Even before stand-up he was a folk musician, playing with fellow Glaswegians like Gerry Rafferty. A mate of mine remembers seeing him play at a folk club in Greenwich in the late 1960s.
  • Options
    Good also that he feels able to let this into the public domain. I imagine that some famous people would worry about the public reaction and the potential damage to their career. Not in this case, at least - feel the love Big Yin.
  • Options
    I'm sure the friends and relatives of the late Kenneth Bigley won't be losing much sleep about him.
  • Options
    My Dad was mates with folk singer Ralph McTell who knew Billy in his "drinking days" pre-1985 and Ralph, who spent his whole life in showbiz so knew plenty of boozers, said that Billy could and would consume extraordinary amounts of booze.

His speciality was PINTS of wine!
  • Options
    The finest stand up comedian ever

Hope he is on the mend soon
  • Options
    Good luck to him in his fight against two horrible diseases. I endorse all that Ormiston A has written about him
  • Options
    Loved his road trip across America a couple of years ago. Showed what an intelligent and likeable person he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

The finest stand up comedian ever

Hope he is on the mend soon

Agreed, he's fantastic. Get well soon Big Yin.
  • Options

I'm sure the friends and relatives of the late Kenneth Bigley won't be losing much sleep about him.

I remember that joke, even though I was quite young at the time, and I remember thinking, despite finding almost every type of dark joke humorous that itw as just in such poor taste, ever since then I thought he was a bit of a dickhead.
  • Options
    His nephew is a Charlton fan and a lurker on here
  • Options
    Billy is a legend. Last few dvds bit hit and miss if you want an hour of pure laughs so much it hurts infact watch his audience with on itv from the late 80s.. Must have watched it 20 plus times stil has me in stitches the scottish singing and the bit about he and raferty phoning up someone about fixing there roof...pure pure gold.
  • Options
    Saw him at The Albany some years ago. Fantastic humour and raconteur. Good luck Billy.
  • Options

Not defending him, but I think he was trying to point out the hypocrisy of the media at the time. Unfortunately it would have gone over the heads of non Connolly fans.

ps. Can take or leave him.

• Options

Not defending him, but I think he was trying to point out the hypocrisy of the media at the time. Unfortunately it would have gone over the heads of non Connolly fans.

Sorry but that's absolute rubbish and just clutching at straws for justification.
    He made the "joke" during a tour infront of an audience of people who had all bought (expensive) tickets and were therefore clearly Connolly fans. He was booed and jeered and people shouted out to him making it clear they thought he was out of order by which he responded by telling them to "f*** off". Nothing to do with "non Connolly fans not understanding". I've always been a big fan of his and seen him live a few times, but that "joke" and his response is indefensible.
  • Options
    A better actor than comedian in my book. Never found him funny but wish him a full recovery.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Sorry but that's absolute rubbish and just clutching at straws for justification.
    He made the "joke" during a tour infront of an audience of people who had all bought (expensive) tickets and were therefore clearly Connolly fans. He was booed and jeered and people shouted out to him making it clear they thought he was out of order by which he responded by telling them to "f*** off". Nothing to do with "non Connolly fans not understanding". I've always been a big fan of his and seen him live a few times, but that "joke" and his response is indefensible.
    I did say "I think" not "I know" I am as often wrong as I am right.

• Options

DRAddick said:

I did say "I think" not "I know" I am as often wrong as I am right. Also it is quite clear that I am not seeking justification...why would I?

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Stunned to read that the legend that is Billy Connolly has been receiving treatment for Cancer and - unbelievably - also very likely has early stages of Parkinson's.

The 'Big Yin' always seemed indestructible so to hear of him being seriously unwell is such a shock, especially if it turns out he does have bloody Parkinsons.

He has had such an amazing life, going from the Glasgow shipyards to global fame and fortune and has provided laughter and inspiration to millions of people.

Yep seconded.....always love his tales from the dockyard.
  • Options
    TEL said:

Yep seconded.....always love his tales from the dockyard.
    The jokes used to play on apprentices were superb, sending them to the stores to get ''spotted paint"or to ask the storeman for a "long weight" were great.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Huskaris said:

I remember that joke, even though I was quite young at the time, and I remember thinking, despite finding almost every type of dark joke humorous that itw as just in such poor taste, ever since then I thought he was a bit of a dickhead.
    So for all the good Connolly has done the money he has raised for charity the millions of people he has made laugh, you would prefer to remember him for one mistake, for which he has since apologised for? Hes got cancer and Parkinsons and you call him a dickhead oh the irony. Well done mr perfect!
    Nice one!
  • Options
    The thing with stand up comics is they have to push the boundries of decency if he has only said one joke that has caused such offence then so what

Always found him extreemly funny and loved his programmes travelling across different corners of the world

And always wanted his trike
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Huskaris said:

So for all the good Connolly has done the money he has raised for charity the millions of people he has made laugh, you would prefer to remember him for one mistake, for which he has since apologised for? Hes got cancer and Parkinsons and you call him a dickhead oh the irony. Well done mr perfect!
    Nice one!
    He made fun of a man who was beheaded in front of thousands... I said since he made that joke I thought he was a bit of a dickhead, the fact that he is sadly ill, doesn't mean that he all of a sudden didn't say those things...

Having said that I do wish him the best through his illness, because I know so many people love him.
  • Options

The thing with stand up comics is they have to push the boundries of decency if he has only said one joke that has caused such offence then so what

Always found him extreemly funny and loved his programmes travelling across different corners of the world

And always wanted his trike

That trike is the bollocks, imagine sitting back on that cruising across the States or Oz, life would not get much better.
  • Options
    Get well Billy. I've always had a lot of respect for him.