Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Porcupine (Mottingham) vrs Lidl

One of me old haunts, while its never been a contender for boozer of the year award, it would be a shame to see it go. And why Mottingham needs a Lidl is beyond comprehension.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24090573

Comments

• Pubs are a dying industry, people prefer to buy booze at places like lidl and drink at home.
  • What a pity to hear this news, my late father used to use the Beehive in New Eltham and the Porcupine in Mottingham, I remember going to meet him in The Porcupine the day he had taken our old Labrador Dog (Pat) to be put to sleep, he was devastated and he couldn't come home straight away, so he called me and we sat and had a pint together......happy and sad memories at the same time. I hope the pub is saved.
  • The Porcupine is a dump. The campaign to save it has been disingeneous at best and more than a few porkies have been thrown into the mix.
    Hardly anyone used it and those that did were not exactly welcoming to anyone else.
    Lidls plans for the site are for a nice looking building instead of mock tudor (with the pub sign upside down).
  • When I used it, probably over 10 years back, it was quite busy. I think its changed hands a few times since then and I've heard its turned into a bit of a dump before. The thing that I worry about though is the impact on other small businesses in the immediate local area, these places will all soon be ghost towns with fried chicken shops and mini supermarkets
  • You'd love it now Rob.
    3 estate agents, 2 funeral parlours, 4 take aways...
    and 2 homes, one for alcoholics and one for homeless yoof.
  • I lived in Dorset Road mate, 1 door down from the school. Was a nice area, and I'd jump on the 161 straight to the Horse and Groom!
  • In general terms, it's a pity to see so many pubs closed and converted to supermarkets or flats; the borough of Lewisham has lost around half of its pubs in the last 15 years. But with the advent of ACV and a resurgence of community action, some Councils are beginning to think again. Developers planned to turn the Fellowship in Bellingham (just off the Bromley Road south of Catford) into flats, but Camra and other groups pointed out its architectural merit. It was built in 1924 and the panelled saloon still has original fittings. Downstairs is a disused theatre, still with its box office and fitted seating, and behind is a huge ballroom, where a mate of mine saw Fleetwood Mac play in the 1960s. English Heritage have recently listed the pub Grade II.
  • edited September 2013

Pubs are a dying industry, people prefer to buy booze at places like lidl and drink at home.

I take your point, but am not entirely sure that "prefer" is quite the right word. Regular pub-going has been put out of the price range of many ordinary people.
  • It's an absolutely awful boozer now Rob. Like you I'm gutted when old favourites go but this one really does need shutting down.
  • Failing pubs can be revived; if they are closed and converted they are gone for ever. The Copperfield, a mock-Tudor pile at Catford Bridge, descended into a right old dive and was regularly raided by the Old Bill. Yet a small chain named Antic took it over, changed the name, redesigned the interior, and introduced a good range of real ales - and now the pub is winning awards.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2013
    One good point I'll take from it is at least it ain't another blaaady Tesco!
  • Failing pubs can be revived; if they are closed and converted they are gone for ever. The Copperfield, a mock-Tudor pile at Catford Bridge, descended into a right old dive and was regularly raided by the Old Bill. Yet a small chain named Antic took it over, changed the name, redesigned the interior, and introduced a good range of real ales - and now the pub is winning awards.

Yeah, some of the brewery owned boozers that I've drank in in the past have brought in a "trouble shooter" manager to turn them around. Remember some rugby loving Aussie/Kiwi/South African taking over the Sun In The Sands just before a major international footballing tornament (I can't remember which, maybe Euro 96?) and he made it into a "football free zone". That backfired spectacularly and went the other way. Another land mark boozer gone to the dogs, unless changed in the last 2 years since I last drove past it...?
  • BIG_ROB said:

Failing pubs can be revived; if they are closed and converted they are gone for ever. The Copperfield, a mock-Tudor pile at Catford Bridge, descended into a right old dive and was regularly raided by the Old Bill. Yet a small chain named Antic took it over, changed the name, redesigned the interior, and introduced a good range of real ales - and now the pub is winning awards.

Yeah, some of the brewery owned boozers that I've drank in in the past have brought in a "trouble shooter" manager to turn them around. Remember some rugby loving Aussie/Kiwi/South African taking over the Sun In The Sands just before a major international footballing tornament (I can't remember which, maybe Euro 96?) and he made it into a "football free zone". That backfired spectacularly and went the other way. Another land mark boozer gone to the dogs, unless changed in the last 2 years since I last drove past it...?
    Half of the Sun in the Sands has gone, Big Rob! The right-hand side was walled off and converted to an Italian restaurant a couple of years ago; that soon went tits-up and is now a greasy spoon: Roy's Café. The left hand-side soldiered on as a pub, but I believe that is now closed, or at least up for sale.

The British Oak, about 100 yards away in the Old Dover Road, seems to be thriving, with decent beers and regular live music.

• BIG_ROB said:

Failing pubs can be revived; if they are closed and converted they are gone for ever. The Copperfield, a mock-Tudor pile at Catford Bridge, descended into a right old dive and was regularly raided by the Old Bill. Yet a small chain named Antic took it over, changed the name, redesigned the interior, and introduced a good range of real ales - and now the pub is winning awards.

Half of the Sun in the Sands has gone, Big Rob! The right-hand side was walled off and converted to an Italian restaurant a couple of years ago; that soon went tits-up and is now a greasy spoon: Roy's Café. The left hand-side soldiered on as a pub, but I believe that is now closed, or at least up for sale.

The British Oak, about 100 yards away in the Old Dover Road, seems to be thriving, with decent beers and regular live music.

Yeah, me brother still uses The British Oak I think.
  • Not a boozer, I know, but The Roxy in Borough is going to become a Nando's, which I find very sad. Used to be a cracking place to watch the footy on a cinema size screen with a pint and a roast.
  • Vincenzo said:

Not a boozer, I know, but The Roxy in Borough is going to become a Nando's, which I find very sad. Used to be a cracking place to watch the footy on a cinema size screen with a pint and a roast.

Using the same logic that when a Waitrose opens in an area the local property prices go up by about 0.5%, I'm sure that Nandos has a similar affect, but in the opposite direction!
  • Antic we're supposed to be opening a pub in General Gordon Square which was quite excited about but it's gone very quiet.
  • Curb_It said:

Antic we're supposed to be opening a pub in General Gordon Square which was quite excited about but it's gone very quiet.

Where are you going now for a booze B, Up The Bull or down the Who'd A Thought It? Would just like to know if it is easier walking up hill sober or wasted? ; )

• Mottingham needs a Lidl for the same reason that Bromley needs a Waitrose. It's what the people need vs what they can afford.
  • Easier to roll down it. Bull or Star if local these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• The march gets a write-up in The Sunday Mirror today(p28). Drank there a few times when I was doing As at Thomas More in Eltham. Was a decent pub then, but seemed pretty run down in recent years and not exactly inviting.

Sadly, the Who'dy is pretty much the same Rob. Used to drink there all the time & ran the football team for a few years. Still my local, but wouldn't even think of going in.
  • edited September 2013
    Antic is a brilliant little chain. They have a few in and around south east and south west London. The one in Catford is ten mins from me and it is so nice to have a decent local in the area. They also want to take over the GPO in Eltham and The Job Centre in Deptford. Their website shows current and planned developments and they are/ will be worth a visit.
  • One day last week I walked the length of Plumstead High Street and counted just three pubs still open: Dowds, the Volunteer, and the Plume of Feathers. My pub guide of 1994 lists eight open then. Architecturally, the best one in the area may be the Star, on Plumstead Common Road, with 1920s panelling and some original fittings - and it was thriving when I visited last year.
  • edited September 2013
    The Plume was all boarded up when I went past a few weeks ago. Is it open again?
  • edited September 2013

One day last week I walked the length of Plumstead High Street and counted just three pubs still open: Dowds, the Volunteer, and the Plume of Feathers. My pub guide of 1994 lists eight open then. Architecturally, the best one in the area may be the Star, on Plumstead Common Road, with 1920s panelling and some original fittings - and it was thriving when I visited last year.

Not to mention the highly polished copper pipe work in the blokes urinals!
  • TelMc32 said:

The Plume was all boarded up when I went passed a few weeks ago. Is it open again?

I may well be mistaken, saw the building but may not have noticed the boards. I see it's not listed on the Beerintheevening website. So that would make just two pubs left compared to eight in 1994.

• BIG_ROB said:

BIG_ROB said:

Yeah, me brother still uses The British Oak I think.
    Used to be my regular. They've done a brilliant job with that pub. It really was dying off, but they've injected a new lease of life. The live nights I've been to have been well-organised and packed. Beer could be better, but could certainly be worse.
  • TelMc32 said:

The Plume was all boarded up when I went past a few weeks ago. Is it open again?

It was boarded up, I went passed it last week and the boards have been taken down again.

• edited September 2013

Antic is a brilliant little chain. They have a few in and around south east and south west London. The one in Catford is ten mins from me and it is so nice to have a decent local in the area. They also want to take over the GPO in Eltham and The Job Centre in Deptford. Their website shows current and planned developments and they are/ will be worth a visit.

Antic also took over a dying old sports pub near Lewisham hospital, refitted it, put in some good ales and renamed it the Ravensbourne Arms. Anyone tried this one yet?

• Antic is a brilliant little chain. They have a few in and around south east and south west London. The one in Catford is ten mins from me and it is so nice to have a decent local in the area. They also want to take over the GPO in Eltham and The Job Centre in Deptford. Their website shows current and planned developments and they are/ will be worth a visit.

The Antic website says the Catford Bridge Tavern is closing "in the next few weeks" - sold to another pub company. Is that recent news? I hadn't realised Antic had leased so many landmark pubs in half-forgotten suburbs. If you are near Catford, the Blythe Hill Tavern on Stanstead Road is well worth a visit: nicely old-fashioned with three small bars, good beers, very friendly staff and convivial punters.