Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Did over 15 miles when I got in from work and feel fine. Never thought I'd wear anything Lycra but have bought some padded undershorts which are really comfortable and help stop chaffing. They don't look that great when I take the shorts over them off though.

now it starts to get addictive. You'll start looking at expensive bikes and watching Le Tour..
    I was out with my serious cycler mate yesterday and said I can see myself getting a road bike in a few months.

Have already got a Wiggle account, I have to be careful as I'm type 1 diabetic and have to make sure my sugar level doesn't get too low when I'm riding. Lucozade's too fizzy so have ordered a load of energy gels off them.
    go easy on the gels, they are known for giving you the shits. I have low sugar problems, so besides carrying healthy snacks always have a mars bar.
    Cheer, don't need any help in that department so will look at alternative sugar boosts!
  • Look at a drink powder to mix with your water. I like High 5 - but SIS and Torq stuff is good too. That gives you not just the sugar, but all the salts/minerals etc you need to replace as well.

You've definitely gone about it the right way - not going out and spending a load of money on an expensive bike before you know you like it. Don't do too much too early though. You'll probably find you can do a lot more than you thought you'd be able to relatively quickly - but resist the temptation to get on the bike all the time until you've got a good few months under your belt

Re: bibshorts - also look at gooch cream. Sounds really, really wrong - but a good chamois cream will really help with chafing
  • Did over 15 miles when I got in from work and feel fine. Never thought I'd wear anything Lycra but have bought some padded undershorts which are really comfortable and help stop chaffing. They don't look that great when I take the shorts over them off though.

now it starts to get addictive. You'll start looking at expensive bikes and watching Le Tour..
    I was out with my serious cycler mate yesterday and said I can see myself getting a road bike in a few months.

Have already got a Wiggle account, I have to be careful as I'm type 1 diabetic and have to make sure my sugar level doesn't get too low when I'm riding. Lucozade's too fizzy so have ordered a load of energy gels off them.
    go easy on the gels, they are known for giving you the shits. I have low sugar problems, so besides carrying healthy snacks always have a mars bar.
    Cheer, don't need any help in that department so will look at alternative sugar boosts!
    I was married to a diabetic so have some knowledge. Your right to be cautious because gels and most sports drinks as they are full of sugar and will raise your sugar levels over as short period of time and they could drop very quickly, which wouldn't be good for you. Probably better to look at foods which sustain sugar levels for longer periods of time.
  • worth looking at ucan http://www.generationucan.co.uk a carb but with no insulin spike/crash. I've not used it but have heard very good things from a lot of people, both diabetic and not

I'm going to try some soon as I get back into endurance training
  • Also, might be worth taking a look at team novo nordisk - they're a diabetic cy long team, and their website should have a lot of good info about fuelling rides efficiently if you're diabetic. One of my mates is a type 2 diabetic, he did London 2 Paris in 24 hours with me a couple of years ago, and last weekend did coast to coast in a day, he has to be really careful with his sugars obviously, but it's never really slowed him down
  • jamescafc said:

As weird as it may look, I actually find cycling in Lycra much more comfortable and I only wear cheap stuff from planet x

Older not so shapely blokes (like me) look daft in team kit but I find I can get away with Morvelo stuff.
    I don't care how daft I look. Good kit makes a huge difference once you start riding any distance.
  • I'm training to do the "off road " Wales coast to coast at the end of July including riding up Snowdon - any thoughts on how many on road miles equal an off road one
  • Shirley a mile is a mile?
  • jamescafc said:

As weird as it may look, I actually find cycling in Lycra much more comfortable and I only wear cheap stuff from planet x

Older not so shapely blokes (like me) look daft in team kit but I find I can get away with Morvelo stuff.
    I don't care how daft I look. Good kit makes a huge difference once you start riding any distance.
    I agree good kit does but a 60 year old in something like a Lampre kit?
  • Sponsored links:

• Off to Kerry tomorrow. Doing the Ring of Kerry charity cycle on Saturday. 180k of wonderful scenery, 2 good hills (loads of small ones), good craic with the other riders and mounds of brack and tea from the food stops along the way. And a great after party in Killarney.
    It's become my cycling highlight of the year now.
  • So who got soaked this evening then!

Totally unprepared today and paid the penalty. Legs and back covered in mud and soaked to the bone.
  • Very wet. But all I need is to wear a cap under my helmet to keep the rain off my glasses. It wasn't cold so I just wore my shorts and short sleeve shirt.
    Exhilarating really. And no other cyclists on my way home!
  • Yes thankfully I had a cap too but glasses still steamed up. Serves me right for buying cheap.

Shoes got soaked within 5 mins through which made for an uncomfortable commute back.
  • jamescafc said:

Yes thankfully I had a cap too but glasses still steamed up. Serves me right for buying cheap.

Shoes got soaked within 5 mins through which made for an uncomfortable commute back.

Took the soft approach and put the bike on the train.
  • Nope. No rain up North. Windy as fuck though - ten mile TT with bastard drivers meant I'd rather have been rained on. Shit time, not even a good workout. Would have been better on the club chainy.
  • In preparation for going to Ireland I changed my Garmin to kilometers. I thought I was flying. Then I realised 28k is my normal speed not 28mph. Doh.
  • Just finished the Ring of Kerry.
    180k of wind, rain, wind with rain and more rain and wind.
    Fantastic. Already looking forward to next year!
  • iainment said:

Just finished the Ring of Kerry.

Ooo err.
  • Sponsored links:

• Also, might be worth taking a look at team novo nordisk - they're a diabetic cy long team, and their website should have a lot of good info about fuelling rides efficiently if you're diabetic. One of my mates is a type 2 diabetic, he did London 2 Paris in 24 hours with me a couple of years ago, and last weekend did coast to coast in a day, he has to be really careful with his sugars obviously, but it's never really slowed him down

Look at a drink powder to mix with your water. I like High 5 - but SIS and Torq stuff is good too. That gives you not just the sugar, but all the salts/minerals etc you need to replace as well.

You've definitely gone about it the right way - not going out and spending a load of money on an expensive bike before you know you like it. Don't do too much too early though. You'll probably find you can do a lot more than you thought you'd be able to relatively quickly - but resist the temptation to get on the bike all the time until you've got a good few months under your belt

Re: bibshorts - also look at gooch cream. Sounds really, really wrong - but a good chamois cream will really help with chafing

Only just seen this, cheers.
  • iainment said:

Just finished the Ring of Kerry.
    180k of wind, rain, wind with rain and more rain and wind.
    Fantastic. Already looking forward to next year!

Checked my Garmin in pub and it says 170k. So maybe they're inflating the distance. Did it in 8.5 hours which really pleased me.
    Seriously considering the Greenwich Mean Climb now. A 300k audax in September from the Cutty Sark to the coast and back up a bit and then back to the coast then back to Greenwich.
  • Third time lucky for the 100 miler.

105.7 at 15.2mph. Lost 1.5mph in the last two miles as my legs went totally - absolute hell even on the flat.

Well pleased to have finally cracked the 3 figures though. Now got to stay awake on this High Speed - could do without waking up at St Pancras.

Fantastic. Now you've done it once it'll become something easier. The psychological barrier is quite daunting until you beat it.
    Well done you.
  • Well done @Clem_Snide the first century is the bag is an achievement in itself.
    Enjoying eating your own body weight in food later :)
  • Saw it on Strava - good to see you back out there
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Well, finally.

For the first time in just over 3 years, just under 16 miles in an hour round a very local loop taking it easy, just getting used to be passed by cars and HGVs again.

Felt good to be out there again.

Go on JohnBoy!
  • Blimey, I forgot the bloody chamois cream! Ouch.
    Thats yet another wiggle order gone in as Evans didn't have it at Canary Wharf last night.
    Already looking at new bikes. FFS lol.

Leroy, I want your C5! Thats one stunning looking bike. Thats up there with @CharltonCharlie's Colnago.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Blimey, I forgot the bloody chamois cream! Ouch.
    Thats yet another wiggle order gone in as Evans didn't have it at Canary Wharf last night.
    Already looking at new bikes. FFS lol.

Leroy, I want your C5! Thats one stunning looking bike. Thats up there with @CharltonCharlie's Colnago.

I think it's time for post your steed convo
  • iainment said:

Third time lucky for the 100 miler.

105.7 at 15.2mph. Lost 1.5mph in the last two miles as my legs went totally - absolute hell even on the flat.

Well pleased to have finally cracked the 3 figures though. Now got to stay awake on this High Speed - could do without waking up at St Pancras.

Fantastic. Now you've done it once it'll become something easier. The psychological barrier is quite daunting until you beat it.
    Well done you.
    Yep. Going out to do it again tomorrow.