Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Loose (vs Lose)

Am I missing something?

Is it the now the standard to spell Lose with a double O?

It's not just on CL either. An article by an RAF pilot spelt it with two Os as did a teacher friend on Facebook.

Does noone [sic] spell it Lose anymore?

Comments

• i think we'll lose on saturday
  • Depends on how loose our defence is.
  • People just don't know how to spell properly these days, that's the problem. The meanings of the two words, lose and loose haven't changed and are completely different.

Incidentally, Loose near Maidstone is pronounced lose (or loos) not loose - not relevant to the thread however!
  • I'm constantly wondering if the Internet has increased stupidity or just highlighted it.
  • JaShea99 said:

I'm constantly wondering if the Internet has increased stupidity or just highlighted it.

Probably both!
  • Clint Eastwood: Every which way but lose?
  • Lose Women?

Yep, I seem to have lost women recently!
  • Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers
  • Sponsored links:

• I loose it with people that can't spell
  • People just don't know how to spell properly these days, that's the problem. The meanings of the two words, lose and loose haven't changed and are completely different.

Incidentally, Loose near Maidstone is pronounced lose (or loos) not loose - not relevant to the thread however!

Trottiscliffe is pronounced Trosley apparently.

Not particularly relevant either but just saying!
  • Woolfardisworthy in Devon is pronounced 'Woolsery'. Not relevant, but just saying!
  • spell it 'any which way but loooooose'
  • The one that gets my goat is so many people failing to understand the difference between their, there or they're..............
  • Daggs said:

The one that gets my goat is so many people failing to understand the difference between their, there or they're..............

Their just stoopid! ;-)

To, Too and Two is one that get's my goat.
  • everyone backing against Palace tomorrow? I know their going too loose!!!!
  • Anyone who starts a thread like this must be a right looser!
  • boggzy said:

Anyone who starts a thread like this must be a right looser!

That's just you're opinion. :-)

• 'were' and 'here' instead of 'we'll (we will)' and 'he'll (he will)' are the absolute worst for me. For example "were be ok". I mean, come ON. How stupid do you have to be to not know that's wrong?
  • Sponsored links:

• As soon as this thread was mooted, I was sure the response would be muted.
  • I could of been a contender, Ma.
  • edited September 2013
    Noticed the increased use of "are" instead of "our" but it's nothing to get hung/hanged about : - )
  • Definately annoying when Lose and Loose are not used correctly........
  • I could of been a contender, Ma.

Ooops, I should of wrote, 'I could have been a contender, Ma'.

People are lazy with grammar nowadays. They should be made to watch that program about those nice young lads from Harrow, and learn how to speak proper.

• 1StevieG said:

Definately annoying when Lose and Loose are not used correctly........

definitely annoying when definAtely is misspelt
  • Cogenhoe in Northants is pronounced cook-nah isn't it Latimer, not relevant, just saying...
  • Noticed the increased use of "are" instead of "our" but it's nothing to get hung/hanged about : - )

I'll name that toon in won.

• Hanged is the past tense for hang, as in an execution, right? But in reality, hung IS an acceptable past-tense of hang in that context. Like starting a sentence with BUT, it has wrongly been considered an error.

But anyone using OF instead of HAVE can go **** themselves. Got no time for that one. It's gibberish.
  • bunch of loosers