Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Being teetotal

Not sure if I've ever mentioned it, but I had a kidney transplant a few month back and am now 100% teetotal. I'm hoping to get back to Blighty before Christmas (because I also may not've mentioned the fact I live all the way out in France.). Any road up....... knowing all my pals, at some point I'm gonna find meself in a boozer and need some suggestions as to what I can order rather than the usual orange and lemonade, diet coke etc? What are them G2Os like? Anyone know or got any other suggestions please?

Comments

• edited September 2013
    BIG_ROB said:

Not sure if I've ever mentioned it, but I had a kidney transplant a few month back and am now 100% teetotal. I'm hoping to get back to Blighty before Christmas (because I also may not've mentioned the fact I live all the way out in France.). Any road up....... knowing all my pals, at some point I'm gonna find meself in a boozer and need some suggestions as to what I can order rather than the usual orange and lemonade, diet coke etc? What are them G2Os like? Anyone know or got any other suggestions please?

J2o's are like juice drinks so are made up of fruit juice and then have sugar added to them. I've tried them a couple of times but they're pretty sweet.

Lots of boozers do alcohol free beer which are a lot better than they used to be.

On top of that there will be energy drinks but I'm not sure if that's a good idea for your kidney.
  • I'm not sure you've ever told us about your kidneys, or living in France, or once having owned a paper shop, Big Rob. Do they still make non-alcoholic beers? If so - do not drink them; they are vile. Why are you teetotal? Can't you do something about that?
  • Might just stick to lime and soda as all the boozers I use to drink in don't charge me for that
  • J2Os are an absolute rip-off, Rob. It's like having orange and lemonade, but you get a small bottle for the price of a pint.
  • The Orange & Passion Fruit J20s are nice and refreshing, but pricey.
  • First off I'm really sorry to hear that. No one should have to go through the torture and pain of having to live in France.

Secondly I don't really have any suggestions as the only non alcoholic beverage I like in a pub is Red Bull and you'll need more than a kidney transplant if you drink that stuff like water!

Good luck though, I hope someone else has a good suggestion.
  • I'm not sure you've ever told us about your kidneys, or living in France, or once having owned a paper shop, Big Rob. Do they still make non-alcoholic beers? If so - do not drink them; they are vile. Why are you teetotal? Can't you do something about that?

Just fancied a change of lifestyle, as anyone who knows me on here will know I use to put em away back in the day. A bit like giving up meat, although I ain't that blaaady stupid! ; )
  • First off I'm really sorry to hear that. No one should have to go through the torture and pain of having to live in France.

Secondly I don't really have any suggestions as the only non alcoholic beverage I like in a pub is Red Bull and you'll need more than a kidney transplant if you drink that stuff like water!

Good luck though, I hope someone else has a good suggestion.

Pmsl

Cheers Stigo and MOGY
  • @viewfinder when was the last time you tried a non-alcoholic beer ? They used to be dreadful but I was at a BBQ the other day and a mate who was driving had a couple, I had a sip and it was pretty good. I can't remember what brand it was, I think Becks Blue but could have been Bavaria.
  • Might try that and just act pissed!
  • Sponsored links:

• BIG_ROB said:

Might try that and just act pissed!

To be honest given some of the nonsense you write on here I'm pretty shocked to learn you aren't hammered all the time !

:-)
  • If you can't drink any more Rob, a lot of places sell Fosters Top, worth giving it a try.
  • se9addick said:

BIG_ROB said:

Might try that and just act pissed!

To be honest given some of the nonsense you write on here I'm pretty shocked to learn you aren't hammered all the time !

:-)
    Pmsl that'll be the cocaine
  • If you can't drink any more Rob, a lot of places sell Fosters Top, worth giving it a try.

If The Horse was still open, I'd be on the straight Fosters from there, confident that not one drop if alcohol would pass my lips
  • There's an alcohol free Kopparberg which I'd assume tastes the same. I have had the non-alcoholic Becks, that was alright.
  • I bought a few of those Becks Blue by mistake so they been in the bottom cupboard for the last year! So if you're home for Christmas if you're staying at your brothers you can pop round and try them!
  • Have they told you not to drink or is it your own choice?
  • Rob as its a French kidney why cant you drink wine?
  • Curb_It said:

I bought a few of those Becks Blue by mistake so they been in the bottom cupboard for the last year! So if you're home for Christmas if you're staying at your brothers you can pop round and try them!

Cheers B, that's nice. Will be round that way at some point to get me Christmas present of me brother

Bit of both to be honest, can probably have a couple after a few years, but for now I'm not gonna bother
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob as its a French kidney why cant you drink wine?

Wine and fruit based drinks are for the women GH, you know that
  • BIG_ROB said:

Have they told you not to drink or is it your own choice?

Bit of both to be honest, can probably have a couple after a few years, but for now I'm not gonna bother
    Sniff it is then!
  • I don't drink either. I find the choices in bars pretty useless. End up either not drinking anything or just have an apple juice. Either way not much fun. Sorry that doesnt really answer your question, so I guess the answer is probably fruit juice (hopefully fresh) or cordial (squash), J20s are rank, and overpriced.
  • they stuck a non alcoholic beer in my hand as I crossed the finishing line at the Berlin marathon and it tasted amazing. had the alcoholic version of the same beer shortly after and there was very little difference in taste
  • BIG_ROB said:

Have they told you not to drink or is it your own choice?

Sniff it is then!
    ; )
  • I'm teetotal and have never found anything that makes me feel comfortable in a pub...

with hoards of pissed people talking bollox :-)
  • BIG_ROB said:

Rob as its a French kidney why cant you drink wine?

You never know, your kidney might be female.
  • rina said:

they stuck a non alcoholic beer in my hand as I crossed the finishing line at the Berlin marathon and it tasted amazing. had the alcoholic version of the same beer shortly after and there was very little difference in taste

Yeah but after running a marathon your own piss is going to taste nice.

BIG_ROB said:

Rob as its a French kidney why cant you drink wine?

You never know, your kidney might be female.
    I do, it is.

; )
  • se9addick said:

@viewfinder when was the last time you tried a non-alcoholic beer ? They used to be dreadful but I was at a BBQ the other day and a mate who was driving had a couple, I had a sip and it was pretty good. I can't remember what brand it was, I think Becks Blue but could have been Bavaria.

Be very careful, some non alcoholic beers have a small alcohol content. I stopped drinking a few years ago and I drink tea, sparkling water or coke depending on my mood. Here in Ireland there's no soda water available otherwise I'd drink lime and soda.
    The worst is though after your friends have more than 2 pints and you're still sober. They talk gibberish and are a real pain to be with.