Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Last night of the proms

Danish TV screened it live tonight. Anyone else watch it? Must admit some of the songs gave me goosebumps. I can only imagine what it must have been like to be there.

Comments

• Land of Hope and Glory is the one, well apart from GSTQ that is
  • Yeah, I watched it, alway do, but what happened to the sea shanties? Probable to patriotic? Surprised to see the cruise ship we on in a couple of weeks docked in Belfast.
  • I love Last Night of the Proms , can't believe they don't include Valley Floyd Road though.
  • I hope Dmitry Peskov was watching.....
  • loved it. only caught the last 15 mins but even the standing ovation for the conductor i felt emotional. might have been the bottle of champagne i've drunk tonight, but after jeruselum, gstq and then auld lang syne without the orchestra - was welling up. Would love to go. the mix of the crowd in hyde park too. all ages. love it. feel really proud. what a tradition.
  • Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Just back - wonderful music, superbly played, in a truly unique setting. The sea songs got lost maybe because the Villa boy overdid his time somewhat (brilliant stuff!). And the lady soloist - she's got it !!
  • My daughter went a couple of weeks ago, it was movie soundtracks. 500 tickets were sold on that day for £5 each and her and her friends got up there at mid day and were first in the queue so were standing at the rail right at the very front just behind the conductor. She had a great day up there for that one and will do more next year.
  • Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Avoid culture at your peril :-)

• Riviera said:

I hope Dmitry Peskov was watching.....

Yes I was thinking along those lines....

Great stuff

• Sponsored links:

• Yeah, I watched it, alway do, but what happened to the sea shanties? Probable to patriotic?

Seems unlikely as we still got Jeruselem etc etc. : - )

The slowed down Benjamin Briton version the national anthem was fantastic. Take note Red Division. Slower is better.
  • Watched it all with Mrs RM...........turned volume up and (attempted) to sing my heart out.....great British institution. I thought Nigel Kennedy was just brilliant......and the lady opera singer nailed it...also agree that slowing down the national anthem was excellent......would love to be in the audience one day....in fact I'l add that to my bucket list (when I make one!!)
  • Watched it all with Mrs RM...........turned volume up and (attempted) to sing my heart out.....great British institution. I thought Nigel Kennedy was just brilliant......and the lady opera singer nailed it...also agree that slowing down the national anthem was excellent......would love to be in the audience one day....in fact I'l add that to my bucket list (when I make one!!)

I went to the National youth Jazz prom last year which was brilliant. Price for a box was only £15. I think standing was only £5.
  • According to the Beeb - it's getting too "English".

Roast beef, seaside rock, and fish 'n' chips are next on the hit list, and then the Blair/Mandelson wish to "ram diversity down Britain's throat" will be almost complete, as the last Morris Dancers are imprisoned for health and safety breaches, cream teas are deemed a health risk, and sheep dogs are paid a minimum wage.

Rant over.
  • Cant believe that the Beeb would even mention the word England/English.
  • According to the Beeb - it's getting too "English".

Roast beef, seaside rock, and fish 'n' chips are next on the hit list, and then the Blair/Mandelson wish to "ram diversity down Britain's throat" will be almost complete, as the last Morris Dancers are imprisoned for health and safety breaches, cream teas are deemed a health risk, and sheep dogs are paid a minimum wage.

Rant over.

VERY English .. the 'last night' conductor was a woman (American) dressed as a man .. very English, catering to a few selected minorities without offending the patriotic promenaders .. and as for the dirge of a national anthem, what was that all about ? .. but still, the last night is always a great night
  • Apologies - it WAS getting too English until the Beeb stepped in and changed things.
    According to Sir Nicholas Kenyon former controller at the Beeb.
  • Typical BBC
  • edited September 2013
    Too English ??!! Too English ?? Why do these people think that the audience is packed with Germans especially, and many others ?? It's precisely for that reason - it is the English (actually British I would say) spirit served up on a plate.
    The visitors willingly pay a fortune to be there - because they admire us so much, envy us this marvellous and unique heritage and if reincarnated would choose to a man to come back as an Englishman.

As a nation we used to be known for our modesty. Well, nowadays we're not afraid to big ourselves up, a la Olympics, but at times we're far too casual about who we are and what we've got that makes us so special in the eyes of so many people around the world.

To tell the truth the conductor - put me in mind of Gordon Strachan after a makeover - was not totally my cup of tea (sorry, English expression crept in there), but the evening was as successful as ever. What you see on TV is just a token of what it's like to actually be there, and I'm immensely grateful to my son for coming up with the tickets once again.

Too English ?? Bolleaux !!
  • Too English ??!! Too English ?? Why do these people think that the audience is packed with Germans especially, and many others ?? It's precisely for that reason - it is the English (actually British I would say) spirit served up on a plate.
    The visitors willingly pay a fortune to be there - because they admire us so much, envy us this marvellous and unique heritage and if reincarnated would choose to a man to come back as an Englishman.

As a nation we used to be known for our modesty. Well, nowadays we're not afraid to big ourselves up, a la Olympics, but at times we're far too casual about who we are and what we've got that makes us so special in the eyes of so many people around the world.

To tell the truth the conductor - put me in mind of Gordon Strachan after a makeover - was not totally my cup of tea (sorry, English expression crept in there), but the evening was as successful as ever. What you see on TV is just a token of what it's like to actually be there, and I'm immensely grateful to my son for coming up with the tickets once again.

Too English ?? Bolleaux !!

Good post!
  • Sponsored links:

• Not wishing to get in the way of a good story, but I think Sir Nicholas Kenyon's (somewhat clumsily phrased) comment has been taken out of context. I don't think he was talking about the Last Night itself, as much as the performers - essentially trying to make sure that the best performers perform at the Last Night regardless of nationality.

I don't think he was suggesting for one second that the 'Britishness' of the event itself should be diluted. He was Director of the Proms for over ten years, and during that time brought the Last Night - Rule, Brittania!, Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem, flag-waving and all - to a bigger audience than ever before with the Proms in the Park across the country.

On the same radio programme that created all this 'too English' fuss, he also described the Last Night as "... a celebration of the best of British, but now in an international context with musicians from all over the world," but the press didn't seem as interested in that particular quotation for some reason!
  • Why can't people just enjoy things? I've been watching LNOTP for over 40 years, from being forced to watch by my Dad to forcing my kids to watch when they were young.
    We all now watch it and enjoy it of our own accord. I cannot see how is has changed much at all in that time.
  • They keep promising it's the last night, but then they do it again the following year. It's like David Bowie, who has a final tour every bloody year. ;-)
  • Gillis said:

Not wishing to get in the way of a good story, but I think Sir Nicholas Kenyon's (somewhat clumsily phrased) comment has been taken out of context. I don't think he was talking about the Last Night itself, as much as the performers - essentially trying to make sure that the best performers perform at the Last Night regardless of nationality.

I don't think he was suggesting for one second that the 'Britishness' of the event itself should be diluted. He was Director of the Proms for over ten years, and during that time brought the Last Night - Rule, Brittania!, Land of Hope and Glory, Jerusalem, flag-waving and all - to a bigger audience than ever before with the Proms in the Park across the country.

On the same radio programme that created all this 'too English' fuss, he also described the Last Night as "... a celebration of the best of British, but now in an international context with musicians from all over the world," but the press didn't seem as interested in that particular quotation for some reason!

Doesn't make a good headline to whip up the usual bollocks as posted above by Goonerhater.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good "look at us poor down trodden English" rant based on next to nothing.

A great Brtish night, great fun, great music and show. Another one of our great traditions. Celebrate it, be proud of it and don't listen to the haters.
  • They keep promising it's the last night, but then they do it again the following year. It's like David Bowie, who has a final tour every bloody year. ;-)

I went to the cinema to see "Never Ending Story" and it was only 90 minutes long.
    Then they brought out "Never Ending Story 2" and that was about the same length.

:)
  • edited September 2013
    Why was there no pictures from Belfast during God Save The Queen? BBC trying to be PC?
  • There was some coverage from the parks on the red button - Hyde Park, Glasgow Green, Caerphilly Castle and Titanic Slipways in Belfast. On BBC 1 they seemed to concentrate more on the Royal Albert Hall and Hyde Park.
  • Dansk_Red said:

Why was there no pictures from Belfast during God Save The Queen? BBC trying to be PC?

Honestly not trying to expand this in any other direction but I would presume 99% of the Union Flag waving Titanic slipway participants would be of the loyalist persuasion.

I'm so glad it's over because that means I never have to hear the Radio 2 advert for Dame Edna's "Last Night of the POMS" - what was so annoying about that advert is that I originally mis-heard it and thought "thank God, Dame Edna Everidge's last gig", only to realise that wasn't it at all...
  • I went to 5 Proms this year which included two marathon sessions of Wagner. Die Walkarie was exceptional. Last night Proms was saved by di donato.