Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

downham tavern

Comments

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Think it had the longest bar at one time.
    Weren't that The King And Queen?
    No, big pub but not the longest bar.
     I wasted a lot of money in my youth in the K&Q. Very similar in lots of ways to the Tavern, looking back absolute dives but comfortable like an old pair of slippers.
  • Options
    Thought the old Wembley stadium had the longest bar?
  • Options
    I sometimes think people get the wrong impression of Downham.  It was originally built for decent working class people who paid a substantial rent for the chance to live on the 'garden estate', in a house with an inside toilet and bath. 

In the early days inspectors would visit to make sure that standards were kept up, doorsteps scrubbed, gardens kept and the inside well maintained.  Residents would be told in no uncertain terms if they failed to maintain standards. 

The Downham Tavern served the residents in all sorts of ways.  Yes the biggest pub in England, but also facilitated tearooms, shows and even had a really grand room for dances. 

This video is before my time, but features the dance hall at the back of the Tavern, you can still make out its former splendour.  The people talking could easily be my parents / grand parents - I feel that I'd heard all these stories before, as I grew up on the estate from the mid 50s. There were a few rotten apples around of course, but by and large the Downhamites were a pretty decent lot and as for us kids?  We were perfect in every way :smile:     

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GvyAn-QW2A&list=PLzWIpi_zRJvemxsLhDuiHakKDEY8M0jX9     
    Well said @Raith_C_Chattonell

You could quite easily describe the Downham residents of yesteryear as rough and ready. .my dad lived in reigate road and mum Shaw road ..I was born in reigate  .and christened at st Lukes..the tavern had the longest bar definitely ..not sure if it was the biggest pub ...you have confirmed your Downham credentials by using the term downhamites....one thing that saddens me these days are the amount of cars on the estate but I guess thats the same all over
  • Options
    Just to put this longest bar versus biggest pub debate to bed.
    It did have the longest bar in The UK.....but was not the biggest pub in The UK.
  • Options
    Always found it a funny place.  My secondary school was Bonus Pastor and I was there 93-98.  We had the two sites.  Winlaton Rd, the main one, and Churchdown, which was more toward the housing estate end.  Interestingly enough, as it was Roman Catholic, and in the borough of Lewisham, we had a lot of black kids who would sometimes clash with the white kids who lived around there.  Having Mallory up the road didn’t help either.  I remember seeing them smash the front window from the inside of the top deck of the 136.  That was a bus you didn’t want to be on as Bonus student....

• Options
    Lived in Whitefoot Terace for a while, got married in St Lukes. Used to go in the Northover, now that was a dive. 
  • Options
    Some quality confectioners in the area too
  • Options
    Some quality confectioners in the area too

Yes used to be a lovely little shop on the parade opposite the tavern.. ...
  • Options
    What happened to it? Did the proprietor eat all the profits? 
  • Options
    Narrowest bar in Europe, I believe
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Used to used to drive past it every home game when we were at Selhurst ! Part of a very shit period in my memory . 
  • Options
    Bal Tabarin. I remember that. That is a blast from the past.
  • Options
    Rob said:
    Bal Tabarin. I remember that. That is a blast from the past.
    I remember my older brother getting very excited at seeing Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band there.  Thanks to the internet I know that was on 12th July 1967.  I also know (due to the net) that he is still touring.  Apparently Geno does a bit of hypnotism and  sometimes includes it in his show before getting down and funky - what more could you ask for?

• Options
    Off_it said:
    Khazi of a pub in a khazi of an area.
    The best thing about Downham is I don't live there.
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Khazi of a pub in a khazi of an area.
    The best thing about Downham is I don't live there.
    Agreed! (Sorry couldn't resist  :))
  • Options
    My first experience of live music Crazy World of Arthur Brown at the Bal Tabarin
    1968, he asked someone down the front what they thought of him and got a pint of beer and some choice words hurled at him.
    He had a big hit at the time with a record called 'Fire'.
  • Options
    Before people get too snotty about the Downham Tavern I would like to say that this magnificent venue once hosted an 18th party at which my cousin met and later made the 'beast with two backs' with a certain Keeley Hazell so, on that front at least, a bit of respect is due.
  • Options
    Bournesnr said:
    My first experience of live music Crazy World of Arthur Brown at the Bal Tabarin
    1968, he asked someone down the front what they thought of him and got a pint of beer and some choice words hurled at him.
    He had a big hit at the time with a record called 'Fire'.
    A very good song, Fire.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLG1ys2CGcI

• Options
    I'm having that at my cremation.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I'm having that at my cremation.
    RIP 
    iaitch
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I remember Bonus Pastor and Mallory schools. I went to Eltham Green 67/71 and we used to give them regular hidings at football.
  • Options
    I was fairly regular drink there from the early 80's until it closed. Never saw any trouble there any always thought it had an undeserved reputation. There were many worse places for a drink - most of the pubs in Woolwich, Abbey Wood and Thamesmead for starters and I also frequented most of those at one time or another.
  • Options
    Acab said:
    I remember Bonus Pastor and Mallory schools. I went to Eltham Green 67/71 and we used to give them regular hidings at football.

Acab said:
    You are not saying much there mate!

As an ex BP man (84-89), we had two Welsh games teachers, whom had literally no interest in football, but were both rugby mad.

However as a small Catholic school we never really had enough boys for rugby, so ended up playing football instead, whilst the two welsh PE teachers retired to 'Jock's Bar' at Coldharbour for some refreshment.

When they did emerge at half time, we would often be told to 'spread out more' or the old classic 'get it up the field', before they both pissed off back inside again for more libations.

In all my life I have never been as cold as I have on some of those winter afternoons at Coldharbour, that place had a windchill that would rival the North Pole at times! 
  • Options
    Before people get too snotty about the Downham Tavern I would like to say that this magnificent venue once hosted an 18th party at which my cousin met and later made the 'beast with two backs' with a certain Keeley Hazell so, on that front at least, a bit of respect is due.
    She used to come in my shop. True story
  • Options
    She used to come in my shop. True story
    You randy sod. What were you doing to her?
  • Options
    Does anybody remember,  the crazy world arfer brown playing there ?
  • Options
    Does anybody remember,  the crazy world arfer brown playing there ?
    Not there but i did see him at Thames poly.
  • Options
    Have you not read the whole thread?
    See previous post.
  • Options
    👍
  • Options
    Stone Cold Sober - good band especially their encore Free bird and You won’t get fooled again.