Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What makes a CAFC legend?

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
You hear a lot of fans talk of Kermorgant as a legend but which players really are considered a CAFC legend, Kinsella? Bartram?

Comments

• Options
    ledge / legend as a word is completely overused these days. Wouldn't class Kermorgant in that category for me.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Speaking from my own experience of watching Charlton since the 1960s, a legend must have a larger-than-life charisma in addition to astonishing technique or ability. My nomination, as always, is Derek Hales. Until fairly recently there was a wall in Greenwich on which you could just make out the faded graffiti: KILLER HALES IS GOD. Amen.
  • Options
    Bartram
    Peacock
    Hales
    Leary
    Hewie
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    A legend should be universally considered so.

For me Yann is a legend but to others he isn't so you can't call him a club legend.

He may develop into a legend when enough time has passed for nastalgia.
  • Options

Charlton fans don't universally agree on anything...
  • Options
    leg end? .. it's where your foot starts .. however, a serious question deserves a serious response .. errrrrrrrrr ... it surely depends on an individuals' viewpoint .. for me for example Mendonca is a legend, faults, warts and all, as his goals got us to the top division after years of turmoil, Curbishley is a real legend and I'm sure many will say the same of Jimmy Seed and perhaps Lennie Lawrence .. Kermorgant is not, neither is di Canio, .. Sam Bartram? .. yes .. Firmani ? .. yes ... do you see a pattern here .. because if there is one , I can't see it .. they are 'legends' to me ... but why ..
  • Options
    Keeping a clean sheet for 3 successive games
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Yes they do!
  • Options

C_A_F_C said:

Yes they do!
    all togevvver now: ' OH no they don't'
  • Options

C_A_F_C said:

Yes they do!
    all togevvver now: ' OH no they don't'
    Oh Yes they do!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My sons a legend cos he hasnt missed a game since 1998
  • Options
    Being Carl Leaburn.

• Options
    The late Johnny Summers, 100 goals in 5 years including 5 against Huddersfield in the 7-6 at the Valley.
    Eddie Firmani, 4 spells at the club, 3 as a player and then Manager. My all time favourite Charlton player by a country mile.
    Morts, for so many mesmerizing performances, not least his, almost, single handed demolition at the toolbox in the snow.
  • Options
    being creative in midfield
  • Options
    Anyone for Mendonca and Illic - those were the names that sprung to my mind.
  • Options
    John Robinson - hard work and fighting for every ball. It also helps if you have played in a golden era.
  • Options
    In my view a charlton legend is one who transcends just being a good player. They have something else about them whether it is great character or 100% attitude sometimes it is something you can't even identify. Sometimes a legend can have his star rescinded. For me Parker was a legend , the best player in my time from about 84-85 but the way he left means many will never call him that. Others such as Steve brown had limited ability but is a legend to me. So in answer to your question, I am not really sure and we will never all agree but I know for a fact none of us will forget our own personal legends.
  • Options
    My first legend was and still is Eddie Firmani,followed by Killer Hales and Mike Flanagan ,maybe its something about big transfers of the time,and buying them back at a cheaper rate with still ajob to do for the club.
    Would have to include Robin and Llewellyn plus the gaffer now without another word said against them.
    Thats five players and four managers that i have seen.
  • Options
    Since 1969 for me so...

Hales
    Humphrey
    Kinsella
    Powell
    Rufus

Makes me laugh when fans use that word for Kermorgant when compared against these five and not forgetting Webster, Morts, Brown, Hunt, Mendonca etc
  • Options
    Very few , mendonca could be seen as one , the winning 47 cup team , and for sheer class for such a small time simonsen as it was like another world watching him .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Arthur Horsefield was one of mine as he lived on my estate and if he saw me at the bus stop used to give me a lift to the game (not aftrerwards though - wonder where he went)
  • Options
    For me Mendonca sheer class, looked as though he loved the shirt and gave me many happy memories.
    John Robinson - shakey start but did that man always give 100% to the cause.
    Hales - my first hero as a kid.
    A player who seems to love the club as much as i do.
  • Options
    I think the term 'legend' can be used relatively. Kermorgant is certainly a legend when compared to, say Alan McCormack! However when compared to say, Simon Webster then he isn't, but then Mark Kinsella is, with Derek Hales more so!

My personal 'Legend' would have to be Clive Mendonca.
  • Options

Since 1969 for me so...

Hales
    Humphrey
    Kinsella
    Powell
    Rufus

Makes me laugh when fans use that word for Kermorgant when compared against these five and not forgetting Webster, Morts, Brown, Hunt, Mendonca etc

This, Kermorgant...............................leave it out.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    For me, down the years for a variety of reasons, whether it be games played, history defining moments, pure entertainment value and worth the admission just to watch that one player or Charlton through and through, Including managerial posts.

Leary
    Summers
    Hewie
    Firmani
    Peacock
    Bailey (Mike)
    Hales
    Lennie Lawrence
    Curbishley
    Gritt
    Bolder
    Brown
    Shirtliff
    Walsh
    Illic
    Kiely
    Mendonca
    Powell
    Solly (if he carries on with us in the same vein)
  • Options
    We've had some great players but few are personal legends to us all. It may depend on when you start supporting. For example many of my legends are from my childhood/youth when I was in awe of anyone in the red shirt. Special mentions to Paddy, Killer, Keith Peacock, Bob Curtis etc. Also some non playing individuals of the time such as Charlie Hall and Benny Fenton who personally made me realise what a great club we have. Latterly Mendonca, Chris Powell, Kinsella and honorable mentions to Messrs Berry and Leaburn. Like I say, it's a personal thing!
  • Options
    In 10 years time who, from the current squad is most likely (if any) to be considered a legend?

As mentioned, lots of people already say Yann is a legend, even if only in context but players that come through the ranks earn a lot of 'potential legend points' early on. Depends who stays and for how long, how much of their career is spent at the club etc.
    Solly has the academy status, Jacko has the passion etc.

Any of them could be legends.....in time but IMO legend is something that you can't become until you have retired.

In my time as a fan?
    Robinson, Rufus, Kinsella, Powell and Mendonca are 'Legends'
  • Options
    supported since 1960, so I've seen a few in my time (in my opinion of course). its how you are influenced i suppose, but for me it has to be the following-: Firmani, Peacock, Curtis and Warman, then Killer and Flanagan supported by Paddy Powell, Robbo, Mendonca and Bent.....but for me out of everyone mentioned on this thread it has to be Killer Derek Hales....he was just something else and has always been CAFC even when he went (temporarily) to Derby and Hammers...he still came back.
  • Options
    Can see Simon Church as almost a young Kermo. He's got the heart and passion to follow in his footsteps but we can get more years out of him.
  • Options
    Jonathan Fortune