Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The perfect day out for the average Charlton fans?

Its the annual "Rails and Ales" gala on the South Devon Railway this BH weekend.

http://www.southdevonrailway.co.uk/news/rails-and-ales-2013

Trains - steam trains at that! - and real ale.

Gutted you've missed it?

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Trains don't do a lot for me - except, that is, to get me from A to B (sometimes). Real ale is available is nearer than South Devon. In the words of a dragon "I'm out".
  • Options
    Thai Malaysia Addick? "Trains don't do a lot for me!" Apparent contradiction in terms me thinks eh Off-it?
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Its the annual "Rails and Ales" gala on the South Devon Railway this BH weekend.

http://www.southdevonrailway.co.uk/news/rails-and-ales-2013

Trains - steam trains at that! - and real ale.

Gutted you've missed it?

Add to that Big reams waiting for you at Bodmin station for a tear up/kiss on the cheek and a pint.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    FFS I missed it last year as well!
  • Options
    nice, ive been in totnes for 9 years now and still never been on that steam train
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    .......and pasties! Says they were running the London Transport pannier tank loco: would like to have seen that. Was on the SDR back in May and travelled on it to Totnes. Wandered about looking for a motor museum I took the kids to on a previous holiday. Ended up at the tourist info. office and was told that the museum closed over 20 years ago and the site was now a housing estate! Where does it go? Enj0y and make the most of it, mate.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

nice, ive been in totnes for 9 years now and still never been on that steam train

Planning on going on it tomorrow, once the beards and cords brigade have shot their bolts over the weekend (figure of speech, but in some cases .....)

Any pubs you can recommend in Totnes @shine166 to take the family for a spot of lunch? Nothing too fancy, but something up from your average harvester would be good.

Cheers
  • Options
    Great trip from Kingswear to Paington on the choo choo train. Done it a couple of times now.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

shine166 said:

Planning on going on it tomorrow, once the beards and cords brigade have shot their bolts over the weekend (figure of speech, but in some cases .....)

Any pubs you can recommend in Totnes @shine166 to take the family for a spot of lunch? Nothing too fancy, but something up from your average harvester would be good.

Cheers

@off_it the waterside bistro at the bottom of town is good, has some outside seating too .. do some nice seafood in there
  • Options
    Thanks @shine166. Didn't see this until just now. We ended up outside the Steam Packet Inn down on the river. Was bloody lovely and the food was great.

Was really impressed with Totnes - seemed a great place to live. And the train was good too, albeit the journey back took an hour and a half instead of half an hour. I wouldn't mind, but there are only two trains and three stations, so how on earth they buggered it up so much is anyone's guess.

The guard fella was ever so nice though. Kept walking up and down the train saying, "apart from the delay is everything alright?" and as he was so nice I managed to resist the temptation to say, "what else is there on a delayed train that's going nowhere and is already 250% over its journey time mate, or are you enquiring after my general health and well being or whether I've got enough cash to pay the mortgage this month?"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ah good choice, thats a great pub in a lovely spot
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Ah good choice, thats a great pub in a lovely spot

It was indeed.

So, do you live in Totnes? There were quite a few "characters" about, but I liked the place.