Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Huddersfield Town v Charlton Ath|Capital One League Cup|27 August 2013|Preview, News, Views & Teams

edited August 2013 in General Charlton
Introduction

From the game that never was to the game that no one wants. Charlton's least favourite competition brings both sides the most unexciting draw possible. Two teams miles apart with no rivalry who've been in the same division for five seasons and who played each other in the FA Cup last year.

The Opposition

'Uddersfield, as we are obliged to call them at least once in a condescending soft southern way, have got their season off to a solid start. Defeat to Forest on the opening day was followed by a win at the Toolbox, a draw v promotion favourites QPR and then a 5 - 1 thrashing of Bournemouth.

Inbetween they beat league 1 Bradford City 2 - 1. For that game Town fielded a strong side featuring James Vaughan who got both goals. The former Everton players (youngest every Premier goal scorer) hit a hat trick on Saturday. He has now scored seven of Hudds 10 goals this season.

We can expect to see another almost full strength team as the three time league champions aim to repeat their feat from 1968 of reaching the league cup semi final.

The Line Up.

Get out the tarot cards, the Ouija board or the crystal ball. Any of these mumbo jumbo accessories will give you as good a chance of predicting the correct line up as the combined brain power of preview towers.

If Sir Chris follows the same pattern as the last round there will be wholesales changes. In which case expect to see Pope, Wilson, Wood, Dervite, Evina, Green, Hollands, Stephens, Cook, Pigott, Sordell or some variation along those lines

But having only completed 45 mins of swimming football on Saturday the first XI might be risked. SCP has said that a cup run is important and he will be fully aware that a good draw in round three and/or four might be the only way he is going to see more funds to strengthen the squad.

Preview Towers is going for

Pope

Solly Wood Dervite Evina

Wilson Cousins Gower Harriot

Piggot Sordell

with Bradley Jordan making his debut from the bench at 81 mins.

The Predication

Charlton go down 2 - 0 in front of 172 travelling masochists fans.

Comments

• nice one henry, think I agree with your prediction, I would be there but................
  • Myself & Don will be braving the coach for this one.

Really hope it's worth it...

COYA !!!!!
  • Well I'm bucking the trend cos really looking forward to this. Due to umemployment and other financial constrictions not seen us play for what seems like forever. Even treating the family to come too so that pushes the numbers up by 3!
  • 2-0 loss here but then its only a cup game and we don't compete in those!! Sadly I cant do match thread as I'll be logging in from work (late shift)....sorry..............will be back on Saturday.
  • 0-2. Sordell and piggot.
  • It depends on who we field and the state of the morale within the team. I don't hold out a lot of hope for a result against a club in good form, but you never know.
    Shame is that we could do with a cup run to earn a few quid and to keep the players fit & in form
  • Rumour has it that the lads were back at the Trg Ground yesterday....
  • Non league starting 11 and non league support

4-1 to udders
  • Rumour has it that the lads were back at the Trg Ground yesterday....

I think (based on Twitter stuff I've seen before) we often do light Sunday sessions - I guess because they only played 45 mins the session might be a bit tougher than usual.
  • Quite honestly, if the B team can get a result at Huddersfield the hound start against Leicester. I'm with Oohaah on this one. Best forgotten.
  • Sponsored links:

• Johnnie Jackson could be coming back on Tues. Would like to see him and Cousins in midfield:
    http://www.clubcall.com/charlton-athletic/jackson-boost-for-addicks-1623176.html
  • If all our first team players are for sale, I wouldn't think Powell will risk them, however much he might profess to want a cup run.
  • Proper tonking. 4 or 5 nil.

• Vincenzo said:

Johnnie Jackson could be coming back on Tues. Would like to see him and Cousins in midfield:
    http://www.clubcall.com/charlton-athletic/jackson-boost-for-addicks-1623176.html

Me too, Vincenzo.

• A surprising but refreshing 3.1 to the Addicks!
  • What do we know so far? We dont know our best midfield, we look like being in the relegation battle, our defence needs at least one change, only my opinion of course but we are the worst coached team that I have seen. We may need a good cup run, but you would need to be a super optimist to expect one. For me we need to take the opportunity to experiment, playing with attacking spirit would be a nice start. OK, saturday was a washout but there were signs that some players were more intent on passing the buck rather than the ball. The most enthusiasm I saw on Saturday came from the Charlton Trust. Is it me or have we lost the Red Robin ? The Valley has the look of accepting doom and gloom, we need a bit of defiant motivation, our supporters deserve better.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • I hope for all those making the effort to go to this one that they see a good performance.
  • Anyone that goes to this from the south should definitely get a free ticket for the final.

I think our ressies might surprise them, extra time defeat, 77 Charlton.
  • Despite living in Sheffield, still don't know why I'm considering going to this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not bothered who wins as long as we don't get any injuries.
  • I have no fricking idea.
  • all this we aint bothered bollox-------------------we have be shit this season so far---our so called better players have been crap----no spirit---and awful body language from CP all the way through.

Put the strongest team out---the so called first team---win the game---start the habit of winning.
  • I think Powell will make some changes but will want the win. I can see Evina coming in for Wiggins and Dervitte and Wood starting in the middle. I think teh midfield will be Cousins and Pritchard and Wilson will play on the right. Up front, I think Kermogant will be rested on the bench and Sordell will come in for him.
  • Hudds have been playing 3-5-2 recently. We tend to get overloaded in the middle as it is so we may struggle
  • Despite living in Sheffield, still don't know why I'm considering going to this.

That's how us down here feel for the cup games at home!

Because you're a dyed in the wool Addick , Aiden

and a sado masochist to boot.

• Every season I think - we are due a cup run!!!!
  • Surprise away win to warm the soul.
  • Any win at the moment would help to lift the gloom, like GH says, go for it.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!