Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car help.

Help! I don't have the manual for my car and can't find the answer to this anywhere.

I have a warning light that has come on - it's a red triangle with quadrants in the three corners. What does this mean?

Many thanks.

Comments

• it's probably not that a Klingon battle cruiser is off your port bow.
  • What make of car is it?
  • cafcbrown said:

What make of car is it?

It's an old, old Mazda Proceed Levante - which is a Vitara badged as a Mazda.

• Just found out it's the timing belt warning light, sigh.
  • Where do you live mate? Pm if you like I have a man that will sort this for a very good price. Not worth taking a chance with cam belts
  • Carter said:

Where do you live mate? Pm if you like I have a man that will sort this for a very good price. Not worth taking a chance with cam belts

I'm in Kerry - I'm guessing that might be a stretch for your mate!

But thanks anyway. I don't think it's a problem as I had the belt replaced a short while ago. I think it was an automatically tripped light as the odometer has only just turned 300,000 miles.

• 300,000 miles? Christ almighty - that car must be like Trigger's broom!

Hah! You'd probably be right, but it needs to be able to go through high tides to get to my house so I wouldn't want to put a new car through that. This evening the bow wave was higher than the front of the bonnet for a few meters.

• iainment said:

300,000 miles? Christ almighty - that car must be like Trigger's broom!

Hah! You'd probably be right, but it needs to be able to go through high tides to get to my house so I wouldn't want to put a new car through that. This evening the bow wave was higher than the front of the bonnet for a few meters.

Sounds like it would have been useful at Dunkirk back in the day :-)

Just run in!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2013
    Different manufacturers recommend different intervals for replacing timing belt, It can range from 40,000 to 100,000. The light won't be linked to the belt but will be telling you a change is due -i'd double check that but it is the sort of thing that works then breaks so the light is only a reminder.

If it has been changed recently, the instruments probably need resetting. A lot of cars don't have this warning light at all. If a belt was changed before the warning light came on it wouldn't have been reset. It is usually simple to reset but you need to know where the button is.

Replacing a timing belt is much cheaper than repairing the damage when it goes though!
  • I need to get my timing belt changed on my punto, I have the kit but need someone to fit it near greenwich if anyone knows anyone decent and fairly cheap
  • Cheap timing belts: A great way of taking out valves and pistons all at the same time. Whoever is doing it, insist on the recommended part being used.
  • Chitty chitty bang bang.
  • Cheap timing belts: A great way of taking out valves and pistons all at the same time. Whoever is doing it, insist on the recommended part being used.

And make sure they check the tensioner and replace if necessary.

• Need to be wary if you have an oil leak which is contaminating the timing belt as it can reduce the life considerably and make a nonsense of the manufacturers recommended change interval.
    One of the things I look for when buying a car is an engine that has a timing chain. They used to have a reputation for being be a bit noisy, but technology has improved.
  • Totally agree chains are better than belts

Get a price from a garage for replacing a cam/timing/tooth belt for say a golf and you won't be getting a lot of change out of 500 quid. The belt costs sod all it takes a bit of time but as long as it's done properly in the right order it can be a three hour job on one of them