Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

t'Barnsley vs. Charlton | 17 August 2013 | Match Preview, Predictions, Teams, Views & News

Introduction

Oh lordy. What a start to the season, two games and two defeats. The lack of impetus against the Smog Monsters of the North suggests that The Valley form that deserted the Addicks for much of the 2012/13 season could continue to be elusive. That being said, let us not lose sight that it is only a brace of games in to a 46 game marathon. Saturday’s game at Oakwell against Barnsley represents a real opportunity to kick start the season at the place of one of our most notable performances in recent years, a 6-0 hammering last season.

The Opposition

Like Charlton, the Tykes as they are affectionately known have not picked up a point this season. They’ve not even scored a goal. A 4-0 drubbing at home to newly relegated Wigan on the opening day was followed by a gut wrenching last minute defeat by the seaside against Blackpool and to make matters worse the goalscorer was one of their own in the form of Scott Golbourne.

Barnsley’s marquee transfer this year took place when David Flitcroft and Pep Guardiola of Bayern Munich gathered for meetings that dragged well into the night to arrange the signing of Dale Jennings for £250,000. It was hoped that the signing that would change the fortunes of the Yorkshireman and push them onto the next level, unfortunately Jennings got sent off for a two-footed tackle on his debut and is now serving a ban.

Player to Watch

David Perkins – the battling midfielder always looks good against us with the drive and determination that is missing from our midfield this season. He could be the difference should we decide to play the pension collectors in the middle again…

The Line Up

Bradley Pritchard serves the final of his three match ban following his sending off against Bournemouth so the berth on the right of the midfield needs to be filled. With the fact that the game is away and Danny Green was a bit rubbish against Middlesbrough, expect Lawrie Wilson to line in front of Chris Solly. The rest of the defence will surely remain the same.

In the centre of the park, Captain Jackson didn’t even look 70% fit and could (should) be rested until he can have the impact that he did so many times last season. A decent cameo from Dale Stephens could see him slot in alongside Mark Gower with the freedom to push forward and support the partnership Chris Powell will persevere with – Kermorgant and Sordell.

Prediction

Finally we get our season going with a repeat of last season’s w…
No, actually it will be a messy 1-0 away win.

COME ON YOU REDS!

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Great photo of Perkins

1 - 1
  • Options
    ha, great stuff.
  • Options
    A hard one to call is this .. 2 sides for whom the season has started badly .. Barnsley has a decent midfield, apart from Perky Perkins there is Stephen Dawson, the one time Oriental .. We'll need to battle hard for this and a LOT will depend on Powell's selection and tactics. I would be in favour of really attacking them, but Powell will not go for that.
    I'm gonna chicken out of this and call a 1-1 draw.
    The side I would select: Hamer Solly Morrison Cort Wiggins .. Stephens Dervite Jackson (if fit) Harriott .. Church Pigott .. give Yann a rest and bottle up the midfield and bolster the defence with Dervite playing the 'anchor' midfield role allowing Stephens and Jackson as well as Harriott to play further up the field than is usually the case.
  • Options
    Il be heading across and up there, excited first game of the season for me. Looking forward to seeing some fellow Northern addicks and the team finally getting into gear. SISS - Cmon you Addicks

3-1 to the Reds :)
  • Options
    I'd previously been optimistic about the first two matches. Can't see anything other than a Barnsley win and calls to sack the board.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    1-2 to CP's Red and White Army
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Referee is Jeremy Simpson. Fancy us to get our first point of the season, 2-2.
  • Options
    Id say 2 - 1 to us will score 2 late goals and the charlton faithful go home happy only bad thing is there will be no millwall to laugh at on way back.
  • Options
    Looks like a 0-0 to me.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

Il be heading across and up there, excited first game of the season for me. Looking forward to seeing some fellow Northern addicks and the team finally getting into gear. SISS - Cmon you Addicks

see you there for a nervy 0-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd make us a little harder to beat rather than more attacking. go with
    Hamer
    Solly Morrison court wiggins
    Dervite
    Wilson Gower Jackson Harriot
    Kermorgant

Best way to play football, If you don't concede you cant lose! exactly what is needed at the moment. The time will come to be more expansive and attacking, but first lets put points on the board and build some confidence back.

Going with a 2-1 to us.
  • Options

Shrew said:

see you there for a nervy 0-1
    Il be in Silverdale as well on Monday, Tuesday so will catch up then if I don't see you among the travelling masses.
  • Options
    Going alone for this, hopefully it's worth it!
  • Options
    Brilliant - Perkins for Mayor!
  • Options
    If we lose this then it really is going to be long hard season I reckon. We really should be beating the likes of Barnsley to borrow a phrase used about another club ( can't think who). I'm not too worried yet as there's plenty of time to get things sorted. However, if we finish anywhere near last seasons position I'll be amazed !
  • Options
    Will be going up t'barnsleh on saturday.
    Expecting a full explanation from perkins as to when we can expect this 3rd runway at heathrow...and 3 points to the SL.Reds ..maybe
    :)
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Heart says 2-0 win.
    Head says 1-1 nervy draw.
  • Options
    My prediction. A terrible game, two teams struggling and Barnsley (after last seaosn's thrashing) will be very cautious.

Nil nil is my favoured score, but I've a feeling we'll nick it one nil.
  • Options
    3 1 loss
  • Options
    chuff game and chuff result

the agony continues

2-0 barnsley
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 Barnsley. More rubbish served up, and Charlton Life descends into civil war with the glass half fulls versus the glass half empties on saturday night.
  • Options
    Middlesborough had not won away for over 8 months, we helped them break that duck last Saturday. Barnsley have not scored a goal this season....................................nuff said
  • Options
    Until i visibly see an improvement i believe we will lose. 2-0 tykes.
  • Options
    Thanks for filling in WSS! Great preview too. I'm going for an optimistic 1-0 away win!
  • Options
    0-6 :-)
  • Options
    1-1 draw. My SL will be Hamer, Solly, Morrison, Dervite, Wiggins, Green, Stephens, Jackson (if fit), Harriott, Kermorgant and Church.
  • Options
    We have a distinct lack of talent in central midfield. For all Jackson's goals, the team has to carry him in the position he wants to occupy. He loses 2 or 3 yards of pace each season, and we don't have enough pace or guile with any of the other central midfielders to support him. I think Pritchard would be a good choice in the centre after his ban, and I would like to see Cousins being given a run out. Stephens, Hollands & Jackson are too costly to play in these areas. Hughes is good but given his age and injuries, he can't be expected to carry any of these 3. Gower we haven't seen enough of yet, but he to gave the ball away a number of times against boro.
  • Options
    3-0 Barnsley.
  • Options
    What is that picture of Boris doing there?
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

What is that picture of Boris doing there?

Boris is David Perkins in disguise