Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A dilema

Now, I have a secure job, convenient, 15 minute walk from home, and very easy, and been here 6 years.
My dilema is, I have been offered a job with a pal at a Fibre Optic Cabling firm in Shadwell (About an hours journey but an an easy one) It is more or less double my salary but it is basically being paid as a temp ( Time sheet every week, 70% of their staff are paid like this)
no hols, no sick pay. My pal is a senior member there and has assured me that there is loads of work there and dont think he would do me up.
I have to hand my notice in work but have nothing in writing.
Does anybody know if F.O Cabling is a good thing to be getting into, would you take the risk? It is the difference between plodding on in life working and living near Plumstead or getting that opportunity to bring the kids up with a better lifestyle and having some money left over for savings every month.

Any input appreciated.

Comments

• I would take the risk but get something in writing first definitely. Was it a concrete offer, or a 'come and work for me' chat down the pub one night?
  • If you are going to be installing the fibre cable you won't be short on work. There is millions and millions in fibre.

However the question remains, would you take the gamble? Could you go back to your other job if it don't work out with the new firm.

Who is it by the way you will be working for? Whisper me if you'd rather mate
  • I work in the electrical trade and i know from working on projects and schemes that Fibre Optics is in demand and lots of it.To be honest i think you are making a good move if your doubling your salary.No hols and sick pay is a bit of a bummer!but think of the salary!Good luck
  • Ps yes get it in writing first though
  • Depends on how good an opportunity you think it is - is it long term or short term?
    Salary sounds good, but you should remember you are losing 20-25 days pay a year for holidays (effectively one month of pay) and no sickness cover.

Not sure on this, but I think you'll find employment law is very different for temps vs 'full time'. (hence no holiday, no sick pay - more efficient for the employer)
    Most importantly, you must have something concrete in writing - best to have it all above board as sometimes working for friends is not all it's cracked up to be...
  • As people say there does seem to be plenty of work in that field but I'd be very wary of any firm that tried to get around emplyment law this way. What they are doing is illegal as you have to give 4 weeks holiday and sick benefit to permanant staff and if you are working ful time for them and no one else then you are permanant however they try and get out of it. I'd also be very worried about not having rights if you are injured at work (likely if you are crawling about offices/building sites) or how much help they would give you if you had any problems

If you are young and with kids/mortgage etc then it might be a risk worth taking short term to get some cash. If, as you say you have kids then it's a big gamble IMHO.

I think the fact that you are asking on here answers your question.

I suggest you get something in writing and found out if there is a chance of proper PAYE work at some stage.
  • It's sub contracting, and there ain't many human resource departments for subbies trust me!!

You lose that by taking home an awful lot more money than someone who is insured by way of being guaranteed sick pay, holiday etc.

I've been both sides of the fence and for the sake of my mortgage and security I earn less than a subbie but am never out of work so you argue I'm better off.

And once you get used to sub contractors money it's very difficult to take a step back.
  • not sure this is even as a subbie where you could set up as a sole trader or your own Ltd co and so get tax/NI benefits etc. Temp contracts are different from contract work but as I said it's not clear in this case.

Remember CPL out of all that extra money you will need to pay tax, NI, pension, health insurance and expect to be laid off a slow times such as Xmas. I'm self-employed and it can be great but not always a bed of roses.
  • Pretty disgusted that firms are able to treat what should be valued staff in this way.

If you do decide to go for it, make sure you have some decent earnings and mortgage protection policies, injury and illness cover. Feels like dead money but in your situation, it could one day be a saviour.

Personally, i'd go for it, but try and do a bit of research if you can with one or two others who work at the firm first. Find out if the doubling salary thing rings true, or whether you'll have to put in bundles of extra shifts to be better off.

A lot of people fall into the trap of chasing the money for a better life for their family, but have to do a hell of a lot more hours to achieve it, when really all the kids want is their old man to be around a bit more.
  • My mate works nights down at sainsburys in charlton,his wages have gone down by 30% due to temps coming in and doing the work for the minimum wage!exploitation big time down there!
  • Sponsored links:

• probably being a complete girly here but I'd be worried if you had no annual leave.

what happens when your two beautiful kids (going by your photo) look you in the eye pleading with you to go to their panto/sports day etc......

how could you say no just because you went for the money, they wouldn't understand.

& will it be more money once you've paid out for your own insurance etc..?????
  • My lil bro does similar, he works for an ntl type firm, and he earns shiteloads! my lil cous does this fibre thingy, and he earns even more. I would say go for it dood.
  • Have a word with your mate, tell him you are interested, but have a mortgage and kids and need to be on the official payroll in some way etc to protect yourself a little. If you are essentially a part-time contractor you have fewer rights under employment law and the downside is, as others have pointed out, that a downturn in work might mean not getting much work at certain times.
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Have a word with your mate, tell him you are interested, but have a mortgage and kids and need to be on the official payroll in some way etc to protect yourself a little. If you are essentially a part-time contractor you have fewer rights under employment law and the downside is, as others have pointed out, that a downturn in work might mean not getting much work at certain times.

or failing this, see if its possible to get some weird insurance against this type of thing, there must be, once when i was a self employed dood, i had this sick pay insurance its was only cheap a month, could be worth thinking about if your gonna double your salery!
  • Thanks for all your input. Appreciated.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Now, I have a secure job, convenient, 15 minute walk from home, and very easy, and been here 6 years.
    My dilema is, I have been offered a job with a pal at a Fibre Optic Cabling firm in Shadwell (About an hours journey but an an easy one) It is more or less double my salary but it is basically being paid as a temp ( Time sheet every week, 70% of their staff are paid like this)
    no hols, no sick pay. My pal is a senior member there and has assured me that there is loads of work there and dont think he would do me up.
    I have to hand my notice in work but have nothing in writing.
    Does anybody know if F.O Cabling is a good thing to be getting into, would you take the risk? It is the difference between plodding on in life working and living near Plumstead or getting that opportunity to bring the kids up with a better lifestyle and having some money left over for savings every month.

Any input appreciated.

For what it's worth- my opinion as someone who set his own business up 12 years ago.

Get a formal offer- in writing before you hand your notice in.

i know nothing about cabling, but, sometimes one has to be brave otherwise you may just always look back wondering what might have been.

Would your old company take you back if it doesn't work out?

Most of the "benefits" sick pay, PMI can be purchased privately, but will cost you.

Good Luck
  • Go for it mate, I'm doing something similar at the moment once you been there a while they'll probably put you on a salary and/or a retainer.

Laters
  • If something sounds too good to be true it usually is. I'd find out a lot more about them before making a decision. It sounds a bit dodgy to me.