Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Middlesbrough | Sat 10th Aug 2013| Match Preview, Teams, Predictions, News & Views

Introduction

For the very first time in his life, Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray will become the pin-up boy this weekend, as his infamous ‘we should be beating sides like Charlton’ quote is more than likely to be splashed across the home dressing room walls on Saturday.

Despite the Barry Chuckle lookalike being a so-called ‘legend’ at ‘Boro, Mowbray will certainly be feeling the pressure if ‘Boro lose on Saturday, as his side have yet to win a competitive match this season after a disappointing 2-1 home defeat to League Two Accrington Stanley during the week. Chris Powell on the other-hand will be feeling less-under pressure after an impressive performance from his Addicks against Oxford last Tuesday.

The Opposition

Middlesbrough’s 2013 has been more dreadful than a back-four managed by Iain Dowie, with ‘Boro only winning three league games out of a possible 22 during this calendar year. Last weekend’s fixture against Leicester didn’t help too much either and despite taking the lead, Tony Mowbray’s men still encountered a 2-1 defeat at home to Leicester.

However, Boro’s 2013 form doesn’t match the amount of quality that they have within their squad, and we must not underestimate them too much especially after their 4-1 victory at the Valley last season. Amongst the quality includes midfielders Dean Whitehead and Grant Leadbitter along with the deadly duo of Lukas Jutkiewicz and Marvin Emnes upfront.

There could be two debuts within the ‘Boro ranks this weekend, with one being tricky-winger Albert Adomah as long as he manages to complete his £1m move in time, and ex-Addick Frazer Richardson who joined the club last week.

Player to Watch

The Middlesbrough player that I’ve chosen to watch this week is ex-Everton striker Lukas Jutkiewicz. The 6ft 1in striker has already scored twice this season making him an early outsider for the Championship ‘Golden Boot’ award. Jutkiewicz possess a great left foot whilst also being decent in the air, making him a real threat for the Charlton back-four this weekend.

The Line –Up

Chris Powell would have been delighted with the response from his Charlton side midweek after defeating Oxford 4-0 following a disappointing 2-1 away defeat to Bournemouth. Due to the impressive victory on Tuesday night which featured many fringe players, Powell will have one or two selection headaches ahead of Saturday’s game.

One definite change to the side will see the suspended Bradley Pritchard out of the line-up and one of Danny Green or Lawrie Wilson to replace him on the right. Following his good showing against Oxford, I would expect to see Green get the nod as he looks to cement a place within the starting eleven.

Powell will be hoping that skipper Johnnie Jackson will return to the line-up this weekend after a calf-niggle that kept him out against Bournemouth. If Jackson returns, then one of Andy Hughes or Mark Gower will be dropped.

However, Danny Hollands and Dale Stephens will also be pushing for a starting place in the centre of midfield after their impressive individual performances in midweek. Likewise, Simon Church will be competing with Marvin Sordell for a start up-front alongside Yann Kermorgant.

And despite an excellent display against Oxford, I would still expect to see Leon Cort on the bench with Dorian Dervite and Michael Morrison more than likely to continue in the centre of defence.

Prediction

2-1 home victory for the Addicks.

Comments

• Options
    Wouldn't be surprised to see Church and Hollands get a game either.
  • Options
    Boro won't be a pushover. Their players will know that they are playing for their manager's future, and possibly their own. It's important that we dictate from the start and after Bournemouth, get the crowd behind us. For me that means saying goodbye to the Hughes and Gower midfield duo. If JJ is still unfit, put Cousins in. The usual Cautious Colin's will say "too soon" but how old was Robert Lee, or Bowyer, or Parker, or Shelvey, when they made their debuts for us ? Good enough, old enough, and in pre season Cousins looked good enough. Lets have a look.
  • Options
    3-2 Charlton Win. Hope Jackson is back.
  • Options

Boro won't be a pushover. Their players will know that they are playing for their manager's future, and possibly their own. It's important that we dictate from the start and after Bournemouth, get the crowd behind us. For me that means saying goodbye to the Hughes and Gower midfield duo. If JJ is still unfit, put Cousins in. The usual Cautious Colin's will say "too soon" but how old was Robert Lee, or Bowyer, or Parker, or Shelvey, when they made their debuts for us ? Good enough, old enough, and in pre season Cousins looked good enough. Lets have a look.

Powell only trusted Cousins with 5 mins against Oxford, I highly doubt he'll give him a start against 'Boro.
  • Options
    Boro will be sure to score so we'd better hope Yann, Sordell and Church have their shooting boots on. It also felt weird not having Jacko score on the opening day last week so I'd like to see him pop up with one. We can win this. 2-1
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    get the feeling it could be last chance saloon for Mowbray, so he will have is players well up for this. Likewise for CP though, who wont want to lose our first home league game, especially after our home record last season.

tight game. 1-0 Charlton. Kermogant.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Richardson will vastly improve a lacklustre 'Boro team which is low on confidence but not on potential ability
    The win over Oxford has given Powell selection problems of the right kind .. who to leave out: There will not after all be many changes from last weekend I would think: Hamer Solly Morrison Dervite Wiggins ... Stephens Gower Jackson Harriott ... Kermorgant Church .... Sordell needs to get fitter. I would go for Pigott but Powell won't, he'll be on the bench.

CAFC 3 v Middlesbrough 1 .. but remember (all together now) there are no easy games in the championship
  • Options
    2-0 Charlton
  • Options
    I think Stubley has picked the correct starting 11.

I think we'll win, which is bad news, as I'm usually wrong :-(
  • Options
    We win this 2-1.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2-0 to CP's Red & White Army.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    1 - 1 and Powell is slated for picking whoever it is he has picked, making the wrong subs too late and his belt and shoes not matching.
  • Options
    The first 20 minutes should be very important, if they're fragile on confidence we really need to take the game to them. If we don't do that I can foresee a frustrating 1-0 loss. Otherwise we press on and take three points.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Same old tunes.

• Options
    the thing is, saying that mowbray will fire up his players is rubbish. do you really think mowbray only motivates hisp layers when his neck is on the line. people saying the difference is one team wants it and one team doesn't. do you really think a proffesional player doesn't want to win. if they play well they get a bonus. if they dont play well they may get dropped and possibly released. a manager will know when a player doesn't want to be there and they will not be played again. a player must play their best by contract. suarez and that lot are the exception. i think you will find that if a player is even like 10 minutes late to a training session then they are not on the managers good books. face it boro fans, if you think that a managers neck is on the line will get you a win, you couldn't be more wrong, maybe they want him gone. how else do you explain their complete collapse. a manager cant change a whole squad, without people thinking something is up. 3-0 charlton on this one
  • Options
    Teamtalk is already sorted, just pin up Mowbray's comments from a few months back

"With all due respect we should be beating teams like Charlton Athletic"
  • Options
    Green, Cort, Church and Stephens all made strong cases for inclusion mid-week, but I'd imagine only one of them will start in place of Pritchard and the other three will be on the bench.

Nice problem for Powell to have such genuine options - and strngth coming off the bench should help CAFC to a 2-1 victory.

Joe Pigott also deserves a place on the bench, simply as reward and encouragement after Tuesday night, even if he's unlikely to come on.
  • Options
    Boro' just signed Albert Adamoh for 1m.
  • Options
    I think the only change that should be made on Sat is either Hughes or Gower out for Stephens.
  • Options
    Narrow Charlton win by a goal so I'll plump for 2-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hamer
    Solly Morro Dervite Wiggins
    Green Gower Hollands Harriott
    Sordell Yann

Pope Evina Cort Stephens Wilson Church Piggott

That's the team I would pick. I don't think Stephens' heart is in it to be starting games yet.
  • Options

Hamer
    Sordell Yann

That's the team I would pick. I don't think Stephens' heart is in it to be starting games yet.

Do we know for sure that Jackson is still out then?
  • Options
    With all due respect, we should be booing Tony Mowbray at home
  • Options
    I don't think any individual from the team against Oxford made a strong case thoughout the game to be in the first team, it was more a good all round team performance. Plus Jackson does not have a good record of coming back quickly from injury so he may still be out.
    I doubt Powell will risk having a slow midfield as well as two out and out wingers so he may, in Jackson's absence, play Stephens and Gower in the middle and Wilson on the wing, which is the closest he has to direct replacements for Jackson and Pritchard .
  • Options

With all due respect, we should be booing Tony Mowbray at home

I agree. Do we have a suitable song to sing to the prick?

• Options
    With all due respect, we should be drawing with clubs like Middlesbrough at home.

And we will. 1-1
  • Options
    With all due respect (Tony) you won't be managing Middlesbrough much longer. 2-0 to the Addicks!
  • Options
    Will all due respect, I can't see Powelly changing it about too much. Green in for Pritch but that's about it. But we have a fighting chance. Score early and we'll have a comfortable win...
  • Options

Hamer
    Sordell Yann

Do we know for sure that Jackson is still out then?
    I'm just assuming.
  • Options

I think Stubley has picked the correct starting 11.

I think we'll win, which is bad news, as I'm usually wrong :-(

No way will CP start with Green over Wilson.

1-1 draw with Jackson. 0-2 defeat without him.