Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kenny Sansom sleeping on a park bench...

Comments

• LenGlover said:

Addiction is not an illness per se, so in that sense Leroy and others are correct, but it is often a powerful symptom of mental illness and eradicating the effects and damage caused by symptoms can often be as difficult as curing the actual illness.

This.
  • Yes boggzy definitely different in a better way. More time for his kids, less morose and without doubt more positive. Drink had a seriously bad effect on him so getting off it was a real bonus for him and his family.
  • Loco said:

FOBT - fixed odds betting terminals.

To the uninitiated is that a fruit machine?

It's roulette, black jack and i think some other card games too. Punters can easily lose hundreds of pounds in an hour on them
    I've heard about those, I saw a programme on TV about the increase in gambling addiction in this country. These and internet gambling are at the heart of it, one installed in every betting shop so I understand. Apparently people get very angry with them and start trashing them, staff are told not to call the police when they do to make sure no one identifies them as a problem.

I have very rarely made a bet, I know the bookies will always win so fortunately for me it just seems a rather silly thing to do. I do pity those that cant stop it though, perhaps I could convince them to give me their money instead :P
  • Heard the Arse have bought him....................

• Ouch Absurdistan.
  • Off_it said:

The site is clearly so rubbish that the likes of GPA read it every day and try and sneak back in every now and again.

Tells you all you need to know.

Sounds like an addiction - anything we can do to help?

• Off_it said:

The site is clearly so rubbish that the likes of GPA read it every day and try and sneak back in every now and again.

Tells you all you need to know.

Sounds like an addiction - anything we can do to help?

Tough love. The only thing that works. F***ing him off was obviously an entirely altrusitc act of AFKA's part.
  • With Leroy 100 percent.
    Just like this fat gene bollocks.
    Not being an historian, but didn't notice too many walking out of Belson with this illness.
  • That is an odd comment.
  • Its a tough subject this one.

As far as I see it, Alcoholism is an addiction which is a side effect of mental illness, not a mental illness in its own right.

I can only talk about Gazza. Sorry for changing the subject away from Sansom. Now his alcoholism is only part of the story. He has got huge underlying Mental Health issues. He's been sectioned twice in the past for his own safety. Its never mentioned in the press but I would bet my bottom dollar on him suffering from Bipolar Disorder (the snazzy new title for Manic Depression). My brother is Bipolar. I have seen many similarities between Gazza's behaviour and my brother's over the years.

Now the idiots guide to Bipolar/Manic Depression - the moods switch to massive highs (episodes of mania) and desperate lows (depression). Now when you think back, you can see symptoms of his mood swings throughout his career. Episodes of mania, where he pinched the bus up at Middlesbrough, the OTT pranks, the Spurs physio had to tranquilize him the night before the FA Cup Semi in 1991 because he couldnt sleep (remember how absolutely mental his interview was with Ray Stubbs after the game?), how we went into self destruct mode in the Cup Final, how he beat up his ex-wife...and so on, up to recent times where he spent 2 weeks in a hotel playing Wii without sleeping and stuff like that.

I'm not saying Bipolar is an excuse but it maybe should change people's perspective of Gazza. In most people's eyes, Gazza has been self-destructing for years. He has been, I dont doubt that. I assume he is on some kind of psychiatric medication, either a mood stabilizer or an anti-psychotic or a mixture of the two with anti-depressants at times of severe depression. However, brain chemicals are constantly changing so the docs have to constantly change the medication. A minor chemical inbalance can quickly cause a manic episode and that would ruin any chance that Gazza has got of keeping dry. My brother's trigger is cigarettes. He can go 18 months at a time without a craving for a cigarette and almost over night, he'll turn into a 40-a-day smoker. He says he doesnt like it but he'll carry on smoking. The docs change his medication and he stops almost instantly.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will never be a cure or fix for Bipolar. What medication will work for some, wont work for others and its about managing the condition as best as you can. However, of course you get the side affects. Gazza will sadly end up dying from alcohol poisoning, a busted liver or even worse, suicide. Latest figures show that the suicide rate of Bipolar sufferers is somewhere between 25-50%. So there between a 1/2 and 1/4 chance of it happening. I guess looking it like that, its either Gazza or my Brother.

Both Gazza and my brother have got my utmost sympathy. Sorry for changing the subject totally. Wasnt what I was intending to do. Gone off on a complete tangent. Kenny Sansom's also got my sympathy too. Even as a former Gooner.

If any of you didnt catch the documentary about Frank Bruno and his daughter on BBC 3 a few weeks back, its worth a watch...sums up Bipolar much better than I can.

• Sponsored links:

• Unfortunately, whatever you label this as, there is only one person who can start the ball rolling, and that's KS himself. It doesn't matter how much money AFC or anybody throws at it, you cannot 'refer' individuals for any form of counselling unless they agree to it. It's pointless otherwise.

I sincerely hope somebody has the right words to help Kenny in that direction.

• Just out of interest, do any heavy smokers here consider themselves to be suffering from an illness.....?
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Its a tough subject this one.

As far as I see it, Alcoholism is an addiction which is a side effect of mental illness, not a mental illness in its own right.

I can only talk about Gazza. Sorry for changing the subject away from Sansom. Now his alcoholism is only part of the story. He has got huge underlying Mental Health issues. He's been sectioned twice in the past for his own safety. Its never mentioned in the press but I would bet my bottom dollar on him suffering from Bipolar Disorder (the snazzy new title for Manic Depression). My brother is Bipolar. I have seen many similarities between Gazza's behaviour and my brother's over the years.

Now the idiots guide to Bipolar/Manic Depression - the moods switch to massive highs (episodes of mania) and desperate lows (depression). Now when you think back, you can see symptoms of his mood swings throughout his career. Episodes of mania, where he pinched the bus up at Middlesbrough, the OTT pranks, the Spurs physio had to tranquilize him the night before the FA Cup Semi in 1991 because he couldnt sleep (remember how absolutely mental his interview was with Ray Stubbs after the game?), how we went into self destruct mode in the Cup Final, how he beat up his ex-wife...and so on, up to recent times where he spent 2 weeks in a hotel playing Wii without sleeping and stuff like that.

I'm not saying Bipolar is an excuse but it maybe should change people's perspective of Gazza. In most people's eyes, Gazza has been self-destructing for years. He has been, I dont doubt that. I assume he is on some kind of psychiatric medication, either a mood stabilizer or an anti-psychotic or a mixture of the two with anti-depressants at times of severe depression. However, brain chemicals are constantly changing so the docs have to constantly change the medication. A minor chemical inbalance can quickly cause a manic episode and that would ruin any chance that Gazza has got of keeping dry. My brother's trigger is cigarettes. He can go 18 months at a time without a craving for a cigarette and almost over night, he'll turn into a 40-a-day smoker. He says he doesnt like it but he'll carry on smoking. The docs change his medication and he stops almost instantly.

Unfortunately, I doubt there will never be a cure or fix for Bipolar. What medication will work for some, wont work for others and its about managing the condition as best as you can. However, of course you get the side affects. Gazza will sadly end up dying from alcohol poisoning, a busted liver or even worse, suicide. Latest figures show that the suicide rate of Bipolar sufferers is somewhere between 25-50%. So there between a 1/2 and 1/4 chance of it happening. I guess looking it like that, its either Gazza or my Brother.

Both Gazza and my brother have got my utmost sympathy. Sorry for changing the subject totally. Wasnt what I was intending to do. Gone off on a complete tangent. Kenny Sansom's also got my sympathy too. Even as a former Gooner.

If any of you didnt catch the documentary about Frank Bruno and his daughter on BBC 3 a few weeks back, its worth a watch...sums up Bipolar much better than I can.

A very well-reasoned, thoughtful and thought-provoking post.

• Looks like he's on the mend. Only 13 days dry but help from PFA and Palace (would like to think we would have done a similar thing).
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23821613
  • cafc-west said:

Only 13 days dry but help from PFA and Palace (would like to think we would have done a similar thing).

Nothing from the gooners???

Mind you,I suppose Re-hab costs money.

• Good luck to the bloke, let's hope he makes it.

I have the hugest respect for Jimmy Greaves for beating the booze and succeeding in his life, so fingers crossed for Sansom.

Alas, one fears its too late now for Gazza.
  • I saw Sansom this Tuesday outside Bromley South station at 5.30am, he looked dreadful.

It is very very sad BUT he has had numerous chances for help, I fear it will all end in tears.
  • What a lovely person to film him and sent it to The Daily Mail.

Poor Kenny has said all he wants to do is drink. He doesn't want to stop.

So I can't see him living too much longer.
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw Sansom this Tuesday outside Bromley South station at 5.30am, he looked dreadful.

It is very very sad BUT he has had numerous chances for help, I fear it will all end in tears.

Spooky - so did I, but it was about 8:30am.
    He looked terrible.

Bloody hell, the bloke has got enough problems without finding himself in Bromley. I hope he got away okay? :smile:
  • Sansom is family of a friend. Very sad to see
  • It makes it all the more alarming with the recent George Best documentary shown last weekend. You just hope that he will sort himself out but you know there is only one outcome if he keeps drinking.
  • Carter said:

As I've got older I've seen this illness and it is 100% an illness grip a few of my mates. If I were to share a picture of one of them who is the same age as me 36, you would say he looked nearer 50. It's one thing getting short wake-up shocks to get things in line for a while and admitting you have a problem is part of that too. It never goes away. Someone mentioned smokers earlier. I know loads of ex smokers and I guarantee you they all want a cigarette

Just because the trigger is booze and the effects of which make people easy targets for fun as well as bringing out the worst in terms of self loathing and remorse @JohnBoyUK has it right. It's essentially a mask for mental illness which thankfully is now being taken seriously

I once worked for someone who must have been borderline alcoholic. We were all shocked when he invited us to his 40th birthday party, as he looked way older than that, it really takes a toll - Brian Clough was a very sad example of this
  • Old sportsmen definitely face all sorts of problems when their time in the limelight comes to an end. Given the amount of money in the game and the high salaries of many, but not all players, the FA/PFA should make sure that some of the money is held back to support players with counselling/training when their football careers come to an end.
  • edited July 2017