Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Millwall Golliwog; A show of multiculturalism

This popped up on my facebook timeline (coincidentally, #straightred is due for the guy having "millwall" in his name):

I clicked on it and cracked up at these comments:
Can you please take the time to educate me on the relevance of this to Millwall and how it helps put them in a positive light?
Shows how multi-culture we have become. In celebration of our last three players of the season being Black. Don't believe all you read.
So there you have it gents, if you want to show how "multi-culture" you are - use a 19th century character that has since been banned as it became used as a racist insult..

Comments

• Extras was quality. The best thing Gervais did, especially good considering he got the likes of Daniel Radcliffe and Ross Kemp to take the piss out of themselves.

I must admit, I personally don't see a major issue with the toys - I just found it amusing that this guy had chosen such an icon for his "beacon of multiculturalism" statement. (The guy seems a complete spanner though, just did a quick google search-by-image to see if I could find a better/larger image of the badge; and all I found was him asking for people to message him about "it kicking off down woolwich tomorrow")
  • Robertson jam butties at half time at the Den?

• As an electronic warfare rating in the navy the word 'golli' is still widely used as a nickname for our particular branch and it isn't rare to see one or two of the figures on a ship.

This has come about from the branch we are in being Farley new, only actually being formed just before the Falklands war. This is when other ratings on board quickly realised the new ratings were being quickly promoted, so they compared it too a promotion being as easy as collecting jam jar lids and getting a free 'golliewog'!

God I get bored in the mornings...
  • I've seen someone at Charlton with two Charlton golliwogs on his baseball cap.
  • Gollidolls...
  • Good golli
  • I have the Charlton Gollywog badge.
  • Gee golly gosh
  • Sponsored links:

• Whilst in Blackpool afew years back, Sandra (my ex, who is Guyanese) bought 2 of these "toys" (not spanner ones, just plain dolls). She, personally, wasn't offended by them, though we did laugh as we were told that they are now called "JollyGollies" as "GollyWogs" is an offensive term.
  • I think they're known as ethnic dolls these days, at least that's what a stall holder on Romford market calls them. lol
  • They sell them everywhere in york
  • My sister has a Charlton one. Don't see the big deal to be honest apart from them being called Gollywogs.
  • buckshee said:

My sister has a Charlton one. Don't see the big deal to be honest apart from them being called Gollywogs.

Nah, Ive got a keyring with a Gollywog - I don't have it on my keys as, sadly, it would undoubtedly get me labelled racist by some twerp. But I agree, there's nothing really wrong with them.

However... I'm not claiming my Golly is a beacon of respect to all of our past black players! Would be akin to calling mine "Bradders" and saying its a homage to BWP who got us out of L1!
  • Whilst in Rainbowpool afew years back, Sandra (my ex, who is Guyanese) bought 2 of these "toys" (not spanner ones, just plain dolls). She, personally, wasn't offended by them, though we did laugh as we were told that they are now called "JollyGollies" as "GollyWogs" is an offensive term.