Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

House moving

Comments

• I drove down to Rye this afternoon  and a little detour on the way home via Tenterten. Some very beautiful villages and houses in that part of the world. I would love to live there but my wife’s and my work makes that a nonstarter. Maybe it would be doable once one of us retires but I don’t really like the idea of being reliant on a car. Also when you get older I think you need all the comforts of being within the M25, like london teaching hospitals, (you will need it at some point),  supermarkets and shops close by. Buses with lots of different routes and a train station within walking distance, with these the freebie passes. At some point you will have to give up driving and at that point you may want things a bit closer and as others have pointed out it can be very difficult financially to return.
    Presently where I live it ain’t quite countryside but it’s quiet and plenty of greenery, it does for us.
    Tenterden does have a Tesco and a Waitrose ..
  • I will become CheshireAddick from today 
    Don't we already have a CheshireAddick?? 
    Seriousy, you on the move north, NLA? Lovely part of the world.
  • I drove down to Rye this afternoon  and a little detour on the way home via Tenterten. Some very beautiful villages and houses in that part of the world. I would love to live there but my wife’s and my work makes that a nonstarter. Maybe it would be doable once one of us retires but I don’t really like the idea of being reliant on a car. Also when you get older I think you need all the comforts of being within the M25, like london teaching hospitals, (you will need it at some point),  supermarkets and shops close by. Buses with lots of different routes and a train station within walking distance, with these the freebie passes. At some point you will have to give up driving and at that point you may want things a bit closer and as others have pointed out it can be very difficult financially to return.
    Presently where I live it ain’t quite countryside but it’s quiet and plenty of greenery, it does for us.
    One thing to consider if moving these sort of rural areas is they are quite snooty and you will be considered an outsider who is taking their houses and jobs.

Just talk to the locals very slowly, use lots of hand gestures and try not to use any  words longer than two syllables. You'll fit in fine. 
    Tenterden does have a Tesco and a Waitrose ..
    And just to keep it Charlton, it has a proper steam railway line with real steam trains. 
    A lovely place but my original reasons for not moving out that way apply equally to there despite the trains and Waitrose.
    One thing to consider if moving these sort of rural areas is they are quite snooty and you will be considered an outsider who is taking their houses and jobs.

Just talk to the locals very slowly, use lots of hand gestures and try not to use any  words longer than two syllables. You'll fit in fine. 
    Sounds like a visit to the rusty toolbox 🧰.

Get the keys to our rental property in Congleton today then we have a yr to find the house we want to buy 

getting out of the rat race 

25 mins from the Peak District 
    1 hr from or HQ in the midlands can not wait to get my life back 

You won't regret it, Darren.

Manchester/Liverpool within an hour, the north Wales coast, Chester, fast trains to London and glorious countryside.

I would say this anyway, but Nantwich and the surrounding area is a place you should look at when you buy.

• Webby said:
    I moved from London to Ventnor on the Isle of Wight many years ago and have never looked back. Yes I earn a lot less but have a beautiful 5 bedroom detached house next to open downland and a five minute walk to the beach, roughly worth the same as a two bedroom flat where I used to live. I leave for work at 9am and always home by 5pm, a four day week and a two minute journey by car. On a nice day me and the missus are sat down the seafront by 5.30 enjoying a beer and a walk where as my London and city friends are getting home from work on a packed train at 9pm in the evening, only to leave for work at 7am the next morning. I had to ask myself what I wanted to earn all the extra money for, it was pretty much to pay for the extra cost of living in London, travel, parking etc. I can get to the valley by train, boat, train, train door to door in 3 hours, roughly the same time it took us to get in to Bluewater on a busy weekend. I get to spend lots of quality family time, never missed a sports day or school production that the kids performed in and my time in London now is purely pleasure, lovely weekend trips to the theatre, football and catching up with London friends ..... Well thats if they are not working ;-)
    What do you do for work @Webby if you don't mind me asking?  Your lifestyle sounds idyllic! 
  • I first moved her by taking a job as an estate agent, but after a couple of years decided to set up on my own. In London I was a kitchen designer and fitter. It is only a small sales and letting agent but does enough to pay staff as well so have a very flexible lifestyle. Very little I miss about London although do enjoy trips back there.
  • Sponsored links:

Get the keys to our rental property in Congleton today then we have a yr to find the house we want to buy 

Good choice! Being someone from Glossop on the edge of the Peak district, love the area. Congratulations.
  • Moved moved to Wellington, Somerset 6 weeks ago, also to escape the rat race and what London has become. Early days but love it.
  • edited August 2019
    Born & bred in Woolwich, moved to Welling when I got married and then moved to Bexleyheath when the kids were born. Had a business in Maidstone so moved to St Marys Platt near Borough Green 12 years ago and have never looked back.

I sold the business two years ago and moved to Mereworth just of Seven Mile Lane and could not be happier.

When I lived in Woolwich/Welling/Bexleyheath I never thought I would move away due to friends, work and of course Charlton however now I have done it I would never return.

You'll probably find that most have already moved down from London in recent years. :smile:

• bobmunro said:
    I will become CheshireAddick from today 

You won't regret it, Darren.

Manchester/Liverpool within an hour, the north Wales coast, Chester, fast trains to London and glorious countryside.

I would say this anyway, but Nantwich and the surrounding area is a place you should look at when you buy.

Honestly can not wait mate everything you say above was what swung it for us , my eldest got into Edgehill Uni yesterday with him getting the grades he needed, his mum is over the moon that we are only an hr away 

the kids got into a lovely school with only 20 kids per class and it’s outstanding offsted report 

the rental house is huge in comparison to where are in London and yet costs less to buy than mine 

will check out Nantwich we are very open to where we end up but I have to say the Peak District is just so stunning it blows me away 

can’t wait to find the route to Congleton from Walsall without hitting the m6 as it seems a waste to not drive through the countryside round here to get home 
  • Oggy Red said:
    I drove down to Rye this afternoon  and a little detour on the way home via Tenterten. Some very beautiful villages and houses in that part of the world. I would love to live there but my wife’s and my work makes that a nonstarter. Maybe it would be doable once one of us retires but I don’t really like the idea of being reliant on a car. Also when you get older I think you need all the comforts of being within the M25, like london teaching hospitals, (you will need it at some point),  supermarkets and shops close by. Buses with lots of different routes and a train station within walking distance, with these the freebie passes. At some point you will have to give up driving and at that point you may want things a bit closer and as others have pointed out it can be very difficult financially to return.

You'll probably find that most have already moved down from London in recent years. :smile:

I have noticed. I'm a south coast DFFL myself 🤫. 
  • A very good friend of mine lives in Derby and I've spoken to him about helping you get about and discover places. Happy to put you in touch with each other D. He's also a Charlton fan and is amazing company 

Matlock is pretty interesting as a place too, a mecca for bikers and like a British seaside resort but on a river 

Derby town centre and i mean the centre of it is a hive of scum and villainy but I didnt see the need to spend any time there to be honest and there are some very decent places to eat in the town and the most secure car park I've ever been in 
    Welcome to the north west @nth london addick - but couldn't you have brought some better weather with you?!!
  • Carter said:
    A very good friend of mine lives in Derby and I've spoken to him about helping you get about and discover places. Happy to put you in touch with each other D. He's also a Charlton fan and is amazing company 

Matlock is pretty interesting as a place too, a mecca for bikers and like a British seaside resort but on a river 

Derby town centre and i mean the centre of it is a hive of scum and villainy but I didnt see the need to spend any time there to be honest and there are some very decent places to eat in the town and the most secure car park I've ever been in 

Cheers Carts def do put us in touch

we really liked Matlock and Matlock bath  but unfortunately couldn't get the kids in the same school 
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:
    A very good friend of mine lives in Derby and I've spoken to him about helping you get about and discover places. Happy to put you in touch with each other D. He's also a Charlton fan and is amazing company 

Cheers Carts def do put us in touch

we really liked Matlock and Matlock bath  but unfortunately couldn't get the kids in the same school 
    If it's the Peaks then you should look at Bakewell . Beautiful little town - and the tarts are pretty good also!
  • N01R4M said:
    I will become CheshireAddick from today 
    Welcome to the north west @nth london addick - but couldn't you have brought some better weather with you?!!
    The weather's crap down south too.

• Carter said:

An incredibly secure town centre car park as a point of local interest tells you all you need to know!
  • Anyone move out of London but without a car?  Considering the move but need trains and buses and am of course used to TfL/SE, about which of course we moan but it's a lot better than out there where it's all deregulated.  A nice, friendly town with sufficient shops to get by and a periodic train to get somewhere larger and manageable for Saturdays down to Charlton would be perfect.  Don't mind long(ish) Saturday train travel if the rest of the week I'm somewhere nice.  Harwich old town?
  • TeslaGirl said:
    Anyone move out of London but without a car?  Considering the move but need trains and buses and am of course used to TfL/SE, about which of course we moan but it's a lot better than out there where it's all deregulated.  A nice, friendly town with sufficient shops to get by and a periodic train to get somewhere larger and manageable for Saturdays down to Charlton would be perfect.  Don't mind long(ish) Saturday train travel if the rest of the week I'm somewhere nice.  Harwich old town?
    I did. Huge mistake.
    Rural bus services are few and far between. Even small towns with a train services seem to have timetables that never coincide with work times. Unfortunately a car is a necessity if you need to work.
  • Moved down to Hythe  just three years ago, after considerable research based on travelling to most parts of the UK, in the 90s working on glossy magazines, such as Country Homes and Interiors, and Period Living, so envied the  out of London lifestyle, especially as I had been made redundant from my last job, and realised the graphics game was giving me up, so downsized, then paid off the mortgage, the kids left home, and eased into retirement.

Got sick of the noise, traffic, and  roadworks that seem to blight Bexley village. Both the sons got married, and had kids,very shortly so we spend 2 days a week, travelling back to Bexley village and Meopham, and  frankly getting pissed off with the M20, and the nightmare of road closures, road works, and the high street  closing the individual shops that make the place special, all but one  bank closing, and having to track to Canterbury, or back to Bluewater, for a decent set of shops. (Don't like Ashford, and the so called designers centre,)  The GP's , Dentists and  hospitals are no better, currently 2-3 weeks to see a locum GP, or practice nurse. Mind you the GP's in Bexley are no better I hear, and no banks in Bexley Village as well. But of course that was part of the reason for leaving Bexley Village.........

Not as if we have not  got involved with local groups, and social activities,and clubs, as a member of several art\groups and have had 3 exhibitions, and  tennis etc. ( see Nantwich mentioned took 6 hours to get there, had an exhibition there and our daughter lives, in nearby Whitchurch there so knew the way)

But I miss our friends, the pubs where I always knew someone,( although they were full of non locals) the cold, wet windy seafront days, and most of all seeing the grandkids on a casual drop in basis, despite most come down here. Overall, not sure wether to move back near to Bexley Village, but as others have said prices make it difficult , and moved  previously from Blackheath although 38 years previously, not a chance with that one then......  

Not sure what to do to be honest, I have always been a 'grass is greener' type, obviously I should have two homes....... just saying  when you move away it is not all gain, without some pain. 

• Just woke up in the new gaff , normally the noise of the A10 gets me out of bed around 0600 

its bloody 0900 wow silence and tranquility 
    Slipping into that way of live already, 14 mins to look at CL.
  • Just woke up in the new gaff , normally the noise of the A10 gets me out of bed around 0600 

its bloody 0900 wow silence and tranquility 
    You'll soon be moaning about the dawn chorus! Bloody crows!
  • TeslaGirl said:
    Anyone move out of London but without a car?  Considering the move but need trains and buses and am of course used to TfL/SE, about which of course we moan but it's a lot better than out there where it's all deregulated.  A nice, friendly town with sufficient shops to get by and a periodic train to get somewhere larger and manageable for Saturdays down to Charlton would be perfect.  Don't mind long(ish) Saturday train travel if the rest of the week I'm somewhere nice.  Harwich old town?

I live in Folkestone and although I've got a car I cycle around a lot (shops, social stuff, exercise). I've never used the local buses so I don't know how good they are but there seems a fair few around and the trains up to London are excellent.