Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

why athletic?

does anyone know why where called " athletic " as opposed to, town, rovers, united etc etc.,?

Comments

• It was the first option alphabetically.
  • RZA said:

It was the first option alphabetically.

So what was wrong with Albion?
  • RZA said:

It was the first option alphabetically.

So what was wrong with Albion?
    .... or Academicals.

• Aardvarks
  • I'm sure someone on here will know for sure, but perhaps the word athletic represented sport in general because the original idea (may have been) to set up a sports club with football being just a part of it.
  • edited June 2013
    I think there were numerous Charlton boys teams in 1905 with endless combinations of names and the most successful club was Charlton Athletic
  • I think there were numerous Charlton boys teams in 1905 with endless combinations of names and the most successful club was Charlton Athletic

In Richard Redden's book, he lists Albion, Villa, Invicata, United, Clarion, Wesley Guild, Amateurs, Victoria, YMCA, Clarence, Argyle, Reds, and another team called Athletic.
  • My grandad used to play for Charlton Villa.
  • Thank the lord it wasn't YMCA !
  • Thank the lord it wasn't YMCA !

Young man, there's no need to feel down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Charlton Clarence. Would our nickname be the lions ?
  • There's still a team called YMCA who play on a Sunday. We have a friendly against them next month
  • edited June 2013
    The club needed a second part to their name to differentiate themselves from the other Charlton teams mentioned above. As to why Athletic and not anything else, the answer may just be that it was a regular name for a sports team that was both approriate and not already taken by another successful London team.

Unlike Leicester, Manchester or Birmingham, we don't have the name of the City the club play's in in the club's name, hence why City probably was not used. Similarly, unlike Stevenage, we don't have the name of the Borough the club play's in in the club's name, hence why Borough probably was not used. Town can be ruled out for obvious reasons. United often relates to clubs formed by mergers of teams, such as Newcastle (from memory).

Other successful London teams, by the time of Charlton's formation, had taken the names Wanderers, Rovers (Clapham) and Rangers (Q.P.R).
  • Because we are.
  • edited June 2013
    Millwall Athletic had changed their name to Millwall 6 years before but were still playing north of the river, where they belong, in 1905.

Olham Athletic weren't yet a league team.

Wigan Athletic were 25 years in the future.

It was, most likely, just a name chosen, as said, to distinguish from the many other Charlton sides. It was never a wider sporting club, just 14 and 15 year old boys.

Richard Redden's "the Addicks Cartoons" is very good on the 1905 - 1915 period. Got a signed copy for sale for the Upbeats £15 plus P+P
  • Enjoyed the aside "where they belong", Henry.
  • edited June 2013
    The story I heard years ago - was that at the time the club was formed, "Athletic" was quite a buzz word in the language (think the Olympic Games had back then only been recently revived ).

The name "Charlton Athletic" was thought to give the club a modern and go-ahead image for the time.

• I remember this question as a line from the sitcom "Brush strokes" many years ago. After another defeat Jacko's girlfriend asks him "Why do they call Charlton athletic?"

I think it was supposed to be a funny line!
  • Because "we're top of the league, Charlton Nomads, we're top of the league" doesn't have the same ring to it?
  • The club needed a second part to their name to differentiate themselves from the other Charlton teams mentioned above. As to why Athletic and not anything else, the answer may just be that it was a regular name for a sports team that was both approriate and not already taken by another successful London team.

Unlike Leicester, Manchester or Birmingham, we don't have the name of the City the club play's in in the club's name, hence why City probably was not used. Similarly, unlike Stevenage, we don't have the name of the Borough the club play's in in the club's name, hence why Borough probably was not used. Town can be ruled out for obvious reasons. United often relates to clubs formed by mergers of teams, such as Newcastle (from memory).

Other successful London teams, by the time of Charlton's formation, had taken the names Wanderers, Rovers (Clapham) and Rangers (Q.P.R).

I suppose we could have called ourselves Charlton Village (Dulwich Hamlet is similarly small sounding) but I'm glad we didn't!
  • Sponsored links:

• Interesting thread. It makes me wonder about the origins of some of the more obscure names such as Wednesday, Stanley, Hotspur etc. Any ideas?
  • Dizzle said:

There's still a team called YMCA who play on a Sunday. We have a friendly against them next month

Bloody hell, our pre season oppo really have gone down hill.
  • Sheffield Massive, Accrington Arkwright and Tottenham Arsenal were already in use by other pub teams??
  • fattmatt said:

Interesting thread. It makes me wonder about the origins of some of the more obscure names such as Wednesday, Stanley, Hotspur etc. Any ideas?

Wednesday was half day closing so people had time off to play football

Stanley was a local pub I think

Hotspur was after Harry Hotspur

• Great thanks. I'm off to Google 'Harry Hotspur'.