Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

AM - Arctic Monkeys

Comments

• Options
    I loved the Beatles and the Stones when all they did was play covers of old US R&B and Rock and Roll songs etc but then they started writing their own stuff and producing original albums and changing the face of popular music as we knew it and hated them for that and still do.....
  • Options
    I like the first 30 seconds of "I bet you look good on the dancefloor"

other than that I find them boring.
  • Options

I like the first 30 seconds of "I bet you look good on the dancefloor"

other than that I find them boring.

Valuable input.
  • Options
    Very interesting to see what people make of them although I am still not sure what a "tighter band" consists of?

Regardless, it's a very different direction the boys have taken as they've developed, not to every fans taste but the fast tempo indie anthems from the early days would get worse and worse if they kept churning them out for the sake of keeping everyone happy.So the fact they've mixed up their sound a bit is a bold but effective move.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

They were fashionable when they first came along, now they're apparently unfashionable because they became popular!!!

Does my head in. Decent band, decent lads & above all decent music. They have also become pretty big in America. So much crap these days is produced on a computer, with the song/lyrics written by someone else but played by an 'artist' who doesn't write or play music.

Find it hard to believe why some are so against a bunch of normal lads who have written their own songs & become successful playing their own instruments!

I'll be watching their Glasto set tonight & fully expect them to make me wish I was there!

I'm one of the many in America that enjoy AM. Was able to take my then four-year old to see them live last year, leading her to spend the next several months walking around yelling at me "I don't wanna hear you now . . . kick me out, kick me out ... I don't wanna hear you now . . ."
  • Options
    buckshee said:

I'd still have to say that 'leave before the lights come' is my favourite song of theirs. Great video too with Paddy Considine in .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEukS2YN9B8

agree, one of their best. But i read an interview saying that they really wish they hadn't released that song or even made it. They felt like making that song was more for the purpose of self promotion and putting out an EP quickly after their success.
  • Options

buckshee said:

I'd still have to say that 'leave before the lights come' is my favourite song of theirs. Great video too with Paddy Considine in .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEukS2YN9B8

agree, one of their best. But i read an interview saying that they really wish they hadn't released that song or even made it. They felt like making that song was more for the purpose of self promotion and putting out an EP quickly after their success.
    Great B sides on that as well. I had 'baby I'm yours' as my wedding song.
  • Options
    They are on Glastonbury BBC2 11pm tonight.
  • Options
    I felt they done justice to Come Together IMO as well
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whats the American twang about?
  • Options

Whats the American twang about?

I loved them & have seen them many times, but for me they've lost their edge. Like you say, how can you take them 100% seriously, when Alex is doing an "Elvis" impersonation ?

Elvis from Sheffield just doesn't work for me.

Still enjoying it, but .......
  • Options
    David Tennant appears to be standing in for the lead singer
  • Options
    First album was one of my favourite albums, but the later stuff, while being good, just isn't the same standard.

Just watching live at the moment, and also noticed his accent being very odd? Don't really like the Elvis impression. Looking forward to a couple more of the first albums tracks :P
  • Options
    Alex Turner isn't funny....It's just random gibberish like the songs lyrics.

black treacle is one of their best but didn't play it.
  • Options
    Haven't watched their performance yet but his accent might have something to do with the fact he lives in New York now I think.
  • Options

Haven't watched their performance yet but his accent might have something to do with the fact he lives in New York now I think.

I've lived in Australia for 20 years but I do not sound Australian, as I tell my convict friends, "why would I want to sound stupid"
    Great band, saw them live here in jan 2012. WEYSIAIM is in my top 5 albums.
  • Options
    Looked a lot better live than when I saw them at Reading.

Alex Turner has become a lot more Americanised after the 2nd album, he became good friends with Josh Homme of QOTSA and now gets him to produce all their albums in the US.
  • Options
    Just popping in to say I don't like them.

Cheers.
  • Options
    The use of the orchestra for Cornerstone and Mardy Bum, two of my favourite tunes, blew me away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    They evolved their sound.. good on them. Unfortunately it was in the wrong direction. Their lyrics used to connect with the everyman, now they're more like listening to The Gorillaz. They're now droney and downbeat, I miss the energy of the first album.

Saw them live at the 02, they played mostly songs from their second album and the place only came alive when they played two songs from the first.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

They evolved their sound.. good on them. Unfortunately it was in the wrong direction. Their lyrics used to connect with the everyman, now they're more like listening to The Gorillaz. They're now droney and downbeat, I miss the energy of the first album.

Saw them live at the 02, they played mostly songs from their second album and the place only came alive when they played two songs from the first.

I agree 100% & was also at the O2 gig. They're on a downward spiral imo.
  • Options
    Chic were on the other side. They were very good.
  • Options

Chic were on the other side. They were very good.

Yeah, I saw that as well, I was "flicking". A much younger Nile Rodgers.
  • Options
    Can't see how we've moved from mr.se7's polite request for opinions - he didn't ask for favourable ones only - to picking JaShea99 & others off about their own taste.

I wouldn't close off my ears to any type of music, my collection would show that, but I don't always get certain genres. Doesn't make me a music snob because I don't like thrash metal/country/trance/whatever...I've often found tracks I like, if not the whole of a musical style.

The world would be a pretty tedious place if we all liked the same thing. It's one reason I use stuff like SoundCloud & HypeMachine to try all sorts of music out. Like a lot, but certainly not all.

My queries earlier in the thread were about trying to understand comments made which I didn't immediately associate with the music. Apologies if that came across as sniping Ja!

Just watched last night's set again. Some have picked up on Alex's "ak-shent"...look back a bit...they've always taken the rise. From a bunch of kids on t'internet, to commanding stadiums worldwide, it's called "putting on a show"...I thought they did it pretty well.
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTGye-p8sgI

Theres a link for anyone who didnt watch them last night. In my opinion it was such a great gig, the encore especially , but then again Alex Turner could talk about crap for 15 minutes and Id love it, growing up I always aspired to be like him.

But I respect people's opinions and thats why I opened the thread, good to see someones views who isnt blinded by their greatness.

Nice touch by Turner to sing happy birthday to his Old dear and to tease the fans with Yellow and Soul Love.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

They can't write songs about the Everyman because they're living in New York and dating supermodels, selling millions of albums. I'm guessing you wished they went down the more pretentious "look how in touch I am" route that the likes of billy Bragg took. You can only write what you know. They're not teenagers trying to get past cuntish bouncers anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Chunes said:

They can't write songs about the Everyman because they're living in New York and dating supermodels, selling millions of albums. I'm guessing you wished they went down the more pretentious "look how in touch I am" route that the likes of billy Bragg took. You can only write what you know. They're not teenagers trying to get past cuntish bouncers anymore.
    I guess, lyrically, they suffer the same fate as many working class artists before them. Doesn't change anything, though. And doesn't make excuses for a change in sound that doesn't, at least in my opinion, really work.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Chunes said:

I guess, lyrically, they suffer the same fate as many working class artists before them. Doesn't change anything, though. And doesn't make excuses for a change in sound that doesn't, at least in my opinion, really work.
    musically they're far better than what they were in their first album which was just power chord after power chord and a couple of simple riffs, that gets boring to play and to listen to. Still think that suck it and see is their finest album yet.
  • Options
    Just getting in and have AM on sky+'and so far they're awesome