Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Oscar Who? Takes Over at Brighton

And the Seagulls become la Gaviotas... how long before there are zero English players, managers and owners in the top strata of English football and the professional game will start to wither on the vine?

Comments

• Well he took over from Gus Poyet, who's hardly English himself...

Plus he was in charge of Maccabi Tel Aviv before Brighton, so not completely unheard of.
  • Just as well we never has any Italian-South Africans playing for or even worse managing Charlton back in the '60s. Club would have withered on the vine
  • Just as well we never has any Italian-South Africans playing for or even worse managing Charlton back in the '60s. Club would have withered on the vine

.. in Firmani's era (I presume that your oblique reference refers to him), overseas players were a welcome rarity, today, English players, especially in the top division are becoming a rarity, and the same thing is starting to happen in the championship.
    That is my point, but thank you for the usual sneering cynicism and sarcasm inherent in your 'reply'
  • If English players were good enough they'd be there. Look at the FA and how grass roots and youth developmented is handled rather than foreign players coming over.

.. in Firmani's era (I presume that your oblique reference refers to him), overseas players were a welcome rarity, today, English players, especially in the top division are becoming a rarity, and the same thing is starting to happen in the championship.
    That is my point, but thank you for the usual sneering cynicism and sarcasm inherent in your 'reply'

Calm down, calm down.

Preferable to your usual rampant xenophobia though
  • So why did Poyet get the tin-tack?

I appreciate that none of us know for sure, but the suggestion was that he had been in discussions with a Premiership club. If that's true then this guy left Meccabi Tel Aviv at the end of the season. I wonder if he had been tapped up by Brighton who knew that Poyet was on his way out?

Calm down, calm down.

Preferable to your usual rampant xenophobia though
    cut out the (misplaced) insults Dracula .. there's a good girl
  • So why did Poyet get the tin-tack?

I appreciate that none of us know for sure, but the suggestion was that he had been in discussions with a Premiership club. If that's true then this guy left Meccabi Tel Aviv at the end of the season. I wonder if he had been tapped up by Brighton who knew that Poyet was on his way out?

Cos either he or his right hand man took a dump in the away changing room before the playoff game (allegedly)
  • edited June 2013
    sam3110 said:

So why did Poyet get the tin-tack?

Cos either he or his right hand man took a dump in the away changing room before the playoff game (allegedly)
    I think you misunderstood - Poyet wrote a long email calling on the person who did that to resign. And it certainly wasn't Tarrico as he wasn't fired.

Poyet openly questioned the ambition of the club and suggested he would walk if his ambitions weren't met. According to the Guardian he also refused to discuss which players to retain with the chairman.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2013
    My point really is not the pros and cons of Poyet and his dismissal .. it is that more and more foreigners are coming into the English game at all levels to the detriment (as I see it) of the development of the English game and the prospects for English players.
    I was looking to see if Lifers were concerned or happy about this situation. I am sure that there will be a wide diversity of opinion.
    AND if anyone wants to accuse me of xenophobia, racism, sexism or any other negative ism for having this opinion .. my reply will be .... get a life
  • If English players are good enough, they will play, pretty simple really.
  • My point really is not the pros and cons of Poyet and his dismissal .. it is that more and more foreigners are coming into the English game at all levels to the detriment (as I say see it) of the development of the English game and the prospects for English players.
    I was looking to see if Lifers were concerned or happy about this situation. I am sure that there will be a wide diversity of opinion.
    AND if anyone wants to accuse me of xenophobia, racism, sexism or any other negative ism for having this opinion .. my reply will be .... get a life

To be honest Lincs I think that ship has sailed.
    If all the money went out of the game and the foreign players departed we'd be left with a piss poor product and dwindling attendances IMO

• "Product". That's where we're at with English football. Sums it all up rather tragically. Not that I'm with either side on this particular debate however.
  • I'd blame the entire academy system, instead of just blaming clubs for not playing English players.

Fact is that the foreign equivalent is usually available for cheaper and is better than the English version. Where's the gain for a club to develop English players when other clubs are buying foreign players for cheaper?
  • Football seems to be copying business in that it would rather go for foreign staff who are cheaper, harder working and better qualified. The world has changed and we've been slow to adapt.
    Not sure how we'll catch up unless we work harder and develop a more progressive attitude. Too many clowns have been involved in the English game - Kinnear is a fine example.
    Feel sorry for some of the younger English managers coming through who will find it very hard to get an opportunity.
  • I could be completely missing the point here but it seems like Brighton have gone for a man who is likely to continue the brand of continental flair that saw them play the best football in our division last season. Unsurprisingly he is Spanish, schooled under the Barcelona philosophy.

There are probably too many overseas players in the prem, but the problem isn't a simple one as we go on about the prem being the best league in the world and it wouldn't be anywhere near as attractive without the foreign players. I'm struggling to think of a prem team whose key player is English.
  • I could be completely missing the point here but it seems like Brighton have gone for a man who is likely to continue the brand of continental flair that saw them play the best football in our division last season. Unsurprisingly he is Spanish, schooled under the Barcelona philosophy.

There are probably too many overseas players in the prem, but the problem isn't a simple one as we go on about the prem being the best league in the world and it wouldn't be anywhere near as attractive without the foreign players. I'm struggling to think of a prem team whose key player is English.

Arsenal?
  • I assume you mean Wilshere? Class act when he's fit. Literally the only one IMO
  • I'm struggling to think of a prem team whose key player is English.

Steve Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard...
  • Sponsored links:

• If you were to name one key player or outstaning performer from each Premier League team over the past season or so Liverpool's would be Suarez, United's would be RVP and Chelsea's would be Mata. Gerrard and Rooney have not hit the heights they have in previous seasons and have been outshone in my opinion.
  • There's still a good few British players in the top teams. Arsenal have Wilshere, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Ramsey, Gibbs for example in their first-team.

The best player in the league last year was British. (Bale)
  • There definitely are some good British players in the Premier League. But the players that get me out of my seat tend to be the likes of Mata, Oscar, Suarez etc. I think that the pace and tenacity of the English game (some of which is unforunately in danger of dying such as tackling etc) along with the technical ability of the overseas players which, as mentioned in other threads, is far superior and will remain so until we reap the benefits of the changes being implemented at graa-roots level, is what makes the Premier League so exciting.
  • *grass-roots (ha ha)