Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton in 1960s

Comments

• Viewfinder - I am glad you enjoyed the team photo, I was not sure how it would upload as I am posting on a galaxy 2. Here is one of Mike Kenning I will try to find one of Cliff Holton ( he was built like a brick sh-t house ).

Great pictures! They were all physically big and strong in those days; only Alan Campbell stands out as being slighter. I sometimes wonder if our current midfield is strong enough - unlike many other Lifers I don't think much of Pritchard; both he and Stephens get knocked off the ball far too easily. Two or three years ago in an FA Cup tie against non-league Luton at The Valley (1-1) we fielded a mix of seniors and youngsters, and it was noticeable then how we were out-muscled by a brawnier team. Does the academy system's rightful accent on technique have an unfortunate side-effect of neglecting the importance of physical strength?

• Viewfinder - mental images .... snapshots lodged in the brain.

Rangy John Hewie stooping slightly as he genially signed autographs, ears like wingnuts

Sep 63 Charlton 5-2 Huddersfield, standing just behind and to one side of the Covered End goal as John Sewell blasted in the ?? 4th, the ball zooming directly at me and only stopped by the net, a few feet away

Jan 93 the unbelievable first days of BTTV, the derelict East populated only by a few stewards and up the top the joyous maniacs standing in Charlton Lane gardens, desperate to share the occasion

We all have such memories ....

• I remember Bolland ex Norwich and Millwall.

I used to get him confused with Gordon Riddick.

Riddick came to us from Gillingham ...i think he was known as gordon ridiculous
    he was also a very good cricketer

Gordon Bolland was rubbish for us but a hero at Millwall ...he was a drinking partner of Ray Treacy

Bolland wasn't so rubbish the night he stuffed us at the old Den in a midweek game against Millwall. We had outplayed them in the 1st half but a little bit of pressure and a couple of corners and it was game over, can't remember if he got both there goals but one for sure.
  • Lincs and everybody - this morning I dug out a number for "Tees" and rang it on spec. The gentleman who answered confirmed a family connection and very kindly agreed to pass on details of this thread to the great man. He also mentioned that there is a connection to Charlie Wright's family (which I'd forgotten) and they will be advised as well. To both of you true legends we send our affection, respect and thanks for so many great memories.
  • Lincs and everybody - this morning I dug out a number for "Tees" and rang it on spec. The gentleman who answered confirmed a family connection and very kindly agreed to pass on details of this thread to the great man. He also mentioned that there is a connection to Charlie Wright's family (which I'd forgotten) and they will be advised as well. To both of you true legends we send our affection, respect and thanks for so many great memories.

Well done, GHF - yes, I too had forgotten the family connection. Keep us posted with any news.

Yes, I believe the were brothers-in-law.
  • Here are three pages out of my 1961-62 scrapbook. Two precious photos which I have never seen reproduced elsewhere.

Charlton v Derby FA Cup Jan 1962 2-1, and the previous year against Spurs. Absolute classic goal by Stuart Leary.

And the just for fun a page full of autographs, including the unforgettables and the quickly forgotten. These include, Frank Reed, Brian Tocknell, Sam Lawrie, Mickey Stewart, John Hewie, Dennis Edwards, Peter Godfrey, Marvin Hinton, Mickey Bailey, Sam Bartram (reporter for Sunday People at the time), Fred Lucas, Owen Beckett, Stuart Leary, Ken Pearce, George Cox, Brian Ord, Gordon Jago, Brian Kinsey, Eddie Werge, Jimmy Trotter, Don Townsend, Eddie Stone, Ron White, Roy Matthews...............

The photo of The Valley from the south end (v Derby in 1962) was used on the cover of the programme for a period spanning 1964-65.

• Hi all I can confirm that glass half full has passed this discussion on and Matt Tees has read all the comments. Can I pass on his thanks for all the memories and nice comments,he loved playing there and after all this time is pleased some people still remember him
  • Redat70 said:

Hi all I can confirm that glass half full has passed this discussion on and Matt Tees has read all the comments. Can I pass on his thanks for all the memories and nice comments,he loved playing there and after all this time is pleased some people still remember him

Many many thanks for the word. It was our pleasure to share and to savour these memories. It's important for our heroes to remember that that's exactly what they were to us then, and still are. I hope MT also looked at the discussion Eddie Firmani running at the same time - more wonderful reminiscences of the late 60s.

I'm sure all on here wish Matt good health and all the best for the future. Btw, if anyone wants to know what he looked like in those distant days, just try to imagine a footballer as painted by LS Lowry ....

• The Lowry connection is apt: there's a big show of his paintings all summer at Tate Britain. I echo everything GHF says above - very best wishes to Matt, one of our all-time heroes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was it painted with matt finish?
  • Was it painted with matt finish?

Very good! Lowry's 'Going to the Match' (1953) is included in the Tate show. I believe it's based on Bolton's old ground at Burnden Park, though he went more frequently to watch Huddersfield.

• Many thanks, VF. What twists and turns this discussion has taken. When I made the Lowry remark I had no idea of the exhibition - it just seemed apposite ....

Can't match Thai's comment, I'm afraid - can only think of Paul Brush (West Ham).
  • Many thanks, VF. What twists and turns this discussion has taken. When I made the Lowry remark I had no idea of the exhibition - it just seemed apposite ....

Can't match Thai's comment, I'm afraid - can only think of Paul Brush (West Ham).

Oh, and Charlie Paynter. And maybe Deco had a brother Art ....

Paul Brush! Didn't we have a striker at Welling yesterday named Joe Pigment?

• Here we go with the puns... What about Billy Paynter at Donny Rovers?
  • Don't forget, Linvoy Primer started out with us.
  • Sorry, yes, Billy Paynter is who I meant .... see - my (recent) memory is unpredictable.

Leonardo .... any number of (Henry) Moores and the Massives' Damien Hirst.
  • Christian Dali, Jackson-Pollock, Conor Van Gough must all be in the running for the Bert Turner Prize.
  • Christian Dali - love it! Shane Lowry actually scored against us last season, for Millwall at The Valley. And he wasn't wearing carpet slippers and a paint-spattered (Kenny) jacket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Of course, going back to Tees - no centre forward was thinners.

I'll get my (under)coat
  • edited July 2013

Of course, going back to Tees - no centre forward was thinners.

I'll get my (under)coat

Is that Ralph UnderCoates ....?

And what about Ray Tracey (Emin) and John (Heath) Robinson ? Paul (Francis) Bacon ? Steve Magritte ? Peter (Aubrey) Beardsley ? Richard Monet ? And for Welling fans Terry Rubens.
  • And finally, if I may a challenge for Stig - The Mona Lisbie
  • And finally, if I may a challenge for Stig - The Mona Lisbie

When you think of it a football club is like an art gallery- their are often many Pissaro"s on display.

• >

When you think of it a football club is like an art gallery- their are often many Pissaro"s on display.

.... and Constables ....
  • Hey every one Dennis edwards is my grandad :)

• Some additional thoughts for the Matt Tees discussion (please excuse GHF's constant intrusions).

• Thanks for bumping this one @GlassHalfFull A wonderful thread. Your writing is superb.
  • Hey every one Dennis edwards is my grandad :)
    One of my favourite  players.  Where did the nickname Daisy come from ?

I remember one game  against Plymouth in 1964 where he got two penalties  in  3 minutes at the end around 86th minute. 

He had dived to head the ball but hot kicked to death twice. Smelling salts , pointed in the right direction,  bang, bang  from 0-2 down in 35 minutes to 3-2 winners against Malcolm Allison's team. Frank Lord was centre forward I believe  for Plymouth. He shook Dennis's hand at the end. He had earlier  retrieved a ball to hand back for a Charlton free kick. Teal sportsmen were Frank and Dennis
    He got the nickname because he had an unfortunate habit of ending up on the grass so often........hence being amongst the daisies.
  • edited November 2020