Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton in 1960s

Comments

• Options
    Cliff Holton .... his first game Ipswich away Feb 5. Charlton hadn't won at all since Oct 9 and had plummeted down the Division, so it was a surprise that maybe 1500+ of the faithful had made the shortish trip to Portman Road, although it was a nice mild day. Holton presided over a blitz - Charlton 3 goals up in the first 11 minutes and the game finished 4-1. The next week brought a home win over Brum 2-1, and the week after that again a 2-1 win away to Orient. We had some leeway to catch up but the season had turned around.

Although they were not contemporaries we had some distinguished marksmen in the mid/late 60s, with Firmani, Saunders, Holton and Tees all career double-centurions.

Holton was rather like Martin Chivers in that a few strides seemed to carry him easily 40 yards. Len's Preston match saw him lollop through the largely absent opposition and score with ease. That game was on Good Friday with quite an early kick-off and afterwards we scampered over to WHL - in the morning 5-2 at The Valley and in the afternoon Spurs 1-4 West Ham. The next day Chelsea 6-2 West Ham. On the Tuesday night there were a few of us at Deepdale for the return - again, Holton created havoc as Charlton went 3-1 up after 50 mins, an exciting match ending 3-3.

Special memories of a blissful age.

• Options
    Brill
    Stig said:

I did not see many games in '61-62, and sadly for the purposes of your book (which I hope goes well, btw) my most vivid memory of that season is a home 4th round Cup match against Derby. It might give you some insight about The Valley itself, however.

The stadium was largely undeveloped, as pictures of the era will show. It was basically a bowl made from an old sand pit excavated out of the slope which runs up from the floor of the Thames flood-plain. The Romans would have loved it - The Valley is really an amphitheatre. The ground was dominated by the open East Terrace and the South Terrace which was almost as high. The view from the top was right across industrial South-East London and northwards to the Royal Docks on the other side of the river. The players appeared far below almost as matchstick figures.

There was a small Grandstand halfway along the west touchline, and the terrace behind the north goal had a roof and was known as The Covered End. The whole ground was accessible apart from the Grandstand, for which you had to buy a separate ticket. There was ample open flattish space behind the Stand, so the whole place felt free and unrestricted. The players' entrance was just a doorway, and only some years into football's more violent era was a cage-like structure erected around the back of the Grandstand.

This meant that anyone could stand or move anywhere. Mass migrations took place at half-time when those who liked to stand behind the goal changed ends, and also when rain sent thousands scuttling off the towering East to find shelter under The Covered End.

On the day of the Derby match Charlton had London almost to itself, and a wholly-unexpected 34000 attended a pulsating game which ended 2-1 to the hosts, thanks in no small part to a wonderful display by our magician of a centre-forward Stuart Leary.

The match, at the end of January, took place under floodlights, which were still very much of a novelty. They had only been introduced that season. Because the ground was so open the weather often played a significant part. On this particular afternoon the prevailing mist was very thick, and the houses in Charlton Church Lane silhouetted against the sky to the south and west were soon lost to view. The floodlights took over, and like any night match brought that special feeling of theatre. The surrounding gloom was held at bay as the large crowd was treated to a marvellous match, the bright green of what grass remained on the pitch deep into the winter being the stage on which the black and white of Derby met the vivid scarlet of Charlton. It was brilliant !!

That's why The Valley captivated so many and why the memories are so strong. That's why we had to come back. Nothing much to do with Liverpool, of course, but, well, you did ask ....

Brilliant graphic as always, Stig - You see that pile of stuff, lower left? I'm sure my old Camel and Caravan vinyl albums are under there somewhere! But do you realise how this thread started? A budding writer from Liverpool pitched up with a simple question - and that has sparked many of us to recall all these marvellous, impressionistic, vibrant stories. I don't know anything about our Scouse friend, but having followed this thread I do know that GHF writes absolutely superbly: with vividness, clarity, and sparkling brilliance. May I urge you, GHF, to seriously consider writing an extended text about Charlton in the 1960s? You could post it online - but much, much better would be to publish it in print. I'm sure that with all the many diverse skills of us Lifers we could help with the production if needs be. As a trained journo I could dot the 'i's and cross the 't's - and I'm certain Stig could design a fantastic cover....

• Options
    Gulp .... I've asked AFKA if I can do something on here, and I'm waiting to hear. The thing is - the stories are there already and they just need to find the light. Such an avid readership as CL makes anyone eager to write, and the subject matter takes care of the rest.
  • Options

Cliff Holton .... his first game Ipbswich away Feb 5. Charlton hadn't won at all since Oct 9 and had plummeted down the Division, so it was a surprise that maybe 1500+ of the faithful had made the shortish trip to Portman Road, although it was a nice mild day. Holton presided over a blitz - Charlton 3 goals up in the first 11 minutes and the game finished 4-1. The next week brought a home win over Brum 2-1, and the week after that again a 2-1 win away to Orient. We had some leeway to catch up but the season had turned around.

Although they were not contemporaries we had some distinguished marksmen in the mid/late 60s, with Firmani, Saunders, Holton and Tees all career double-centurions.

Holton was rather like Martin Chivers in that a few strides seemed to carry him easily 40 yards. Len's Preston match saw him lollop through the largely absent opposition and score with ease. That game was on Good Friday with quite an early kick-off and afterwards we scampered over to WHL - in the morning 5-2 at The Valley and in the afternoon Spurs 1-4 West Ham. The next day Chelsea 6-2 West Ham. On the Tuesday night there were a few of us at Deepdale for the return - again, Holton created havoc as Charlton went 3-1 up after 50 mins, an exciting match ending 3-3.

Special memories of a blissful age.

GHF-This thread is bringing back such memories, who had the hardest free kick Mike Kenning or cliff, the easter preston game was the one where Mike took a free kick that ripped the net and I can remember a cliff free kick that came back off the bar and nearly reached the half way line ! You certainly needed to be a brave bastard to be in a free kick line faceing those two. Many years ago I worked with a great fellow called Ted Davies who was an ex southern league goalkeeper who had also been on the ground staff of millwall & orient he told me that in the orient dressing room there was a large photo of the orient goalkeeper Pat Welton in full flight pulling off a great save in a reserve gave against Arsenal, in fact the ball had already been in the net and was on its way out -the scorer was Cliff Holton.
  • Options
    I agree with Viewfinder, it would be great to see more stories like this.
  • Options
    Here are three pages out of my 1961-62 scrapbook. Two precious photos which I have never seen reproduced elsewhere.

Charlton v Derby FA Cup Jan 1962 2-1, and the previous year against Spurs. Absolute classic goal by Stuart Leary.

And the just for fun a page full of autographs, including the unforgettables and the quickly forgotten. These include, Frank Reed, Brian Tocknell, Sam Lawrie, Mickey Stewart, John Hewie, Dennis Edwards, Peter Godfrey, Marvin Hinton, Mickey Bailey, Sam Bartram (reporter for Sunday People at the time), Fred Lucas, Owen Beckett, Stuart Leary, Ken Pearce, George Cox, Brian Ord, Gordon Jago, Brian Kinsey, Eddie Werge, Jimmy Trotter, Don Townsend, Eddie Stone, Ron White, Roy Matthews...............
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ETP - I'm sure I had that Derby photo too. (I surrendered all my Charlton stuff to CL for auction a couple of years ago - undoubtedly the Derby programme and match reports are somewhere in good hands). We also had the distinguished presence of The Times' Geoffrey Green at the match (told you there was nothing else on in London that day) and he wrote a lengthy and impressive report.

Fossdene - great memories indeed. Mike Kenning had a fearsome shot. I remember Boxing Day 63 when a rather stuttering Charlton still comfortably beat Swansea 3 -1. Kenning hared down the touchline in front of the East, pushed the ball inside, instantly got the ball back in full stride as he cut inside, took a few paces more which brought him to the edge of the area but still out pretty wide and then unleashed an absolute thunderbolt into the far corner that deserved to uproot the net.
  • Options
    my memories of "harry" particurlarly the 68/69 season were that hed become a butt of the fans ...he was playing right mid/wide right and i dt think it was his natural position ...he wa
    LenGlover said:

A player who rarely seems to merit a mention but played a major part in keeping us up in 65/66 .... Cliff Holton. A big guy who made a big impact but was with us less than four months.

Holton's brief stint with us was in the season before I began watching - I hadn't realised until just now, looking up the Oracle (Cameron again), what a fantastic career he had: 295 goals in 571 League games. Going off at a tangent (this particular thread is good for that!), do you remember Gordon Bolland? A striker, only a few games in the late 60s. We were 4-0 down at The Valley against Norwich with Kevin Keelan their stalwart keeper. We roused ourselves for a storming last half-hour, got back to 4-3, and Bolland almost, almost nodded the equaliser in the last minute....

I remember Bolland ex Norwich and Millwall.

I used to get him confused with Gordon Riddick.
    Riddick came to us from Gillingham ...i think he was known as gordon ridiculous
    he was also a very good cricketer

Gordon Bolland was rubbish for us but a hero at Millwall ...he was a drinking partner of Ray Treacy

• Options
    I've taken up far too much space on this thread already but ETP's mention of the Derby game compels me to present one last memory of that day - I hope you will bear with me.

At 34000 it seems hard to believe but the stadium was less than half full, such was the capacity of those towering terraces to absorb vast numbers. Nonetheless, it was a considerable crowd and undoubtedly a good few of the spectators would have been neutrals, eager for football and ready to be entertained without fear of the result. Whatever the reason - maybe it was just one of those days - the players responded to the vibrant atmosphere and provided a feast. And bear in mind too that this was the Cup, in those days treated with a great deal more respect than today.

None of the participants was more inspired than Stuart Leary, on his day - and he had many such - a glorious footballer. The match (and the noise) was building in the second half as Charlton attacked the Covered End. Leary found himself motoring along the inside-right channel towards a seemingly mesmerised opponent. A team-mate was coming up fast behind Leary, out to the right and ready to overlap into wide open space.

Now, a simple pass would have sufficed but that wasn't going to happen. Leary looked up and quite imperiously pushed the ball with his left boot out behind his right and forward to his team-mate running past him, all done smoothly, at speed and inch-perfect. As a flamboyant piece of skill, simply for its own sake, it was utterly breathtaking. It's impossible to describe it and do it justice. I think the match was still at 1-1 and far from being at the exhibition stage, but the man was just different class.

And that's why we went to football and why we went to Charlton.
  • Options
    Thanks for that GFH that game was just a bit before my time and i guess history will show that we were a club in decline in the 1960s but it was when i got hooked !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2013
    Keep them coming GHF.

You have the unsual gift of being able to paint a picture with words.

Whereas I have to edit my post because I write of as og

:-)
  • Options
    Even though as somebody has stated we were a club in decline in the 60's and I think history has proved that, it never seemed to matter at the time. There was certainly none of the pressure felt as there is in today's game.

We never won much, The London Evening Standard five-a-sides at Wembley were the limit, and I think we won the London finals plus the Nationals, and again the following year.

Yes, we all had a bad word or two for the Glikstens, but that went with the territory, and managers seemed to come and go as quick as the players did, but it was all an accepted part and parcel of Charlton.

Changing ends at half-time was a ritual, along with the banter from the opposition as we passed each other at the mid point on the vast East Terrace. Another sacrosanct area was the bar you stood at on the terracing. Most people seemed to have their own. With a big family we certainly did, just to the right of the uncovered end goal about five steps back. Woe betide any interlopers who took up your space before the game, they were duly shoved along to the end by half-time.

Rain? Only the softies ran for the covered end when it rained :-)

Somebody asked what happened to the money from Eddie's transfer. I thnk it renovated a certain woodyard in the East End of London.
  • Options

ETP - I'm sure I had that Derby photo too. (I surrendered all my Charlton stuff to CL for auction a couple of years ago - undoubtedly the Derby programme and match reports are somewhere in good hands). We also had the distinguished presence of The Times' Geoffrey Green at the match (told you there was nothing else on in London that day) and he wrote a lengthy and impressive report.

Fossdene - great memories indeed. Mike Kenning had a fearsome shot. I remember Boxing Day 63 when a rather stuttering Charlton still comfortably beat Swansea 3 -1. Kenning hared down the touchline in front of the East, pushed the ball inside, instantly got the ball back in full stride as he cut inside, took a few paces more which brought him to the edge of the area but still out pretty wide and then unleashed an absolute thunderbolt into the far corner that deserved to uproot the net.

One of my favourite Kenning goals came in his second spell at the club. An away match at QPR, about 1970, when we slammed them 4-1. He scored a couple that day including a fantastic direct free kick. I was there with a few mates, all of us teenagers. Great day out even though there were a few skirmishes on and around Shepherds Bush afterwards. Unfortunately they stuffed us at home3-0 and we finished 3rd from bottom. Thankfully, only the bottom 2 went down those days.
  • Options
    I think that derby picture was the one on the front of the match programme for a couple seasons.
  • Options
    Here is a team photo containing Matt (lino) Tees ( all of 10stones 5lbs) and Harry Gregory two of my own personal hero's. Harry actualy played in division 1 ( now premier ) with orient in 1961
  • Options
    Matt if far left back row & Harry centre front row.
  • Options

I did not see many games in '61-62, and sadly for the purposes of your book (which I hope goes well, btw) my most vivid memory of that season is a home 4th round Cup match against Derby. It might give you some insight about The Valley itself, however.

The stadium was largely undeveloped, as pictures of the era will show. It was basically a bowl made from an old sand pit excavated out of the slope which runs up from the floor of the Thames flood-plain. The Romans would have loved it - The Valley is really an amphitheatre. The ground was dominated by the open East Terrace and the South Terrace which was almost as high. The view from the top was right across industrial South-East London and northwards to the Royal Docks on the other side of the river. The players appeared far below almost as matchstick figures.

There was a small Grandstand halfway along the west touchline, and the terrace behind the north goal had a roof and was known as The Covered End. The whole ground was accessible apart from the Grandstand, for which you had to buy a separate ticket. There was ample open flattish space behind the Stand, so the whole place felt free and unrestricted. The players' entrance was just a doorway, and only some years into football's more violent era was a cage-like structure erected around the back of the Grandstand.

This meant that anyone could stand or move anywhere. Mass migrations took place at half-time when those who liked to stand behind the goal changed ends, and also when rain sent thousands scuttling off the towering East to find shelter under The Covered End.

On the day of the Derby match Charlton had London almost to itself, and a wholly-unexpected 34000 attended a pulsating game which ended 2-1 to the hosts, thanks in no small part to a wonderful display by our magician of a centre-forward Stuart Leary.

The match, at the end of January, took place under floodlights, which were still very much of a novelty. They had only been introduced that season. Because the ground was so open the weather often played a significant part. On this particular afternoon the prevailing mist was very thick, and the houses in Charlton Church Lane silhouetted against the sky to the south and west were soon lost to view. The floodlights took over, and like any night match brought that special feeling of theatre. The surrounding gloom was held at bay as the large crowd was treated to a marvellous match, the bright green of what grass remained on the pitch deep into the winter being the stage on which the black and white of Derby met the vivid scarlet of Charlton. It was brilliant !!

That's why The Valley captivated so many and why the memories are so strong. That's why we had to come back. Nothing much to do with Liverpool, of course, but, well, you did ask ....

Best thing I've ever read on here. Will recite it word for word to my 6 and 8 year old boys who are addicted to CAFC. Keep the stories comin!
  • Options

Here is a team photo containing Matt (lino) Tees ( all of 10stones 5lbs) and Harry Gregory two of my own personal hero's. Harry actualy played in division 1 ( now premier ) with orient in 1961

Great picture. What strikes me is the players' physical bulk, the broad shoulders. As a photographer myself I also appreciate their look of pride: chin up, chest out, stomach in - having your picture taken in those days was quite a special event. I can see that Harry Gregory had a heroic quality, fuelled by his propensity to "get stuck in"! GHF has eloquently described elsewhere on this thread Matt Tees' physical process of picking himself up from the deck - he sort of unfolded himself, limb by limb. I remember as a schoolboy being down at the front of the south terrace when Lino was flattened by an agricultural challenge, was apparently concussed. The sponge man ran on, poured some water over his head, had a word in his ear - and Lino reassembled himself and carried on. Didn't he have a slightly knock-kneed gait? - Thin legs in voluminous shorts! Lovely photo, fossdene: it evokes very happy memories.

• Options
    If I remember the story correctly, Matt was discovered by Glasgow Rangers when he worked at a shipyard or some such place. The workers would play football at lunchtimes, and Matt was seen heading goal after goal at a pair of industrial doors, used as a goal by the boys.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

If I remember the story correctly, Matt was discovered by Glasgow Rangers when he worked at a shipyard or some such place. The workers would play football at lunchtimes, and Matt was seen heading goal after goal at a pair of industrial doors, used as a goal by the boys.

Cameron's biographical notes say that Tees played for Penaleen Athletic while working in a factory, and from 1957 to 1960 for the semi-pro side Cambuslang Rangers, where he earned ten bob a week. He joined Airdrieonians in 1960 and Grimsby in 1963.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    OK, not Glasgow but Cambuslang Rangers, easy mistake to make I reckon!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

OK, not Glasgow but Cambuslang Rangers, easy mistake to make I reckon!

Indeed, and Cambuslang is a south-eastern suburb of Glasgow. Incidentally, I note that Airdrieonians have reverted to their original exotic name after some years of officially being Airdrie United. (The old club went bust and was reformed.)

• Options
    Does anyone remember the goal where the opposition keeper rushed out and hammered the ball against the shins of Matt Tees as it ricocheted into the net. It might have been as close as the great Matt Tees came to scoring with his feet. Can't remember the opposition or keeper. Just remember it was at the Covered End. Any helpers?
  • Options

Gulp .... I've asked AFKA if I can do something on here, and I'm waiting to hear. The thing is - the stories are there already and they just need to find the light. Such an avid readership as CL makes anyone eager to write, and the subject matter takes care of the rest.

You are way too modest! Some of us may remember an array of facts relating to the past, but you have the very rare talent of putting atmosphere into words. I was thinking the other day how we have specific mental images of events from the past. I can still "see" Harry Gregory flicking the V-sign or a particular goal from the 1960s, for example, and the vantage point is not a general overview or mediated by TV: it's a specific point of view from a young lad standing on a particular step of the terrace. Inevitable, I suppose, but as a photographer I'm interested in visual things....

• Options

Does anyone remember the goal where the opposition keeper rushed out and hammered the ball against the shins of Matt Tees as it ricocheted into the net. It might have been as close as the great Matt Tees came to scoring with his feet. Can't remember the opposition or keeper. Just remember it was at the Covered End. Any helpers?

Sorry, Malaysia, don't recall that one, but I bet someone does....

• Options

Here are three pages out of my 1961-62 scrapbook. Two precious photos which I have never seen reproduced elsewhere.

Charlton v Derby FA Cup Jan 1962 2-1, and the previous year against Spurs. Absolute classic goal by Stuart Leary.

And the just for fun a page full of autographs, including the unforgettables and the quickly forgotten. These include, Frank Reed, Brian Tocknell, Sam Lawrie, Mickey Stewart, John Hewie, Dennis Edwards, Peter Godfrey, Marvin Hinton, Mickey Bailey, Sam Bartram (reporter for Sunday People at the time), Fred Lucas, Owen Beckett, Stuart Leary, Ken Pearce, George Cox, Brian Ord, Gordon Jago, Brian Kinsey, Eddie Werge, Jimmy Trotter, Don Townsend, Eddie Stone, Ron White, Roy Matthews...............

A fantastic action shot from White Hart Lane. Wasn't that photo of The Valley used on the cover of the programme for a while? - I seem to recognise the cap in the foreground.

• Options

I think that derby picture was the one on the front of the match programme for a couple seasons.

Only just seen this - yes, I'm sure you're right: I recognise that cap in the foreground!

• Options
    Viewfinder - I am glad you enjoyed the team photo, I was not sure how it would upload as I am posting on a galaxy 2. Here is one of Mike Kenning I will try to find one of Cliff Holton ( he was built like a brick sh-t house ).
  • Options
    Cliff Holton
  • Options

A fantastic action shot from White Hart Lane. Wasn't that photo of The Valley used on the cover of the programme for a while? - I seem to recognise the cap in the foreground.

That shot from WHL shows Leary's absolute class together with a pair of spotless shorts towards the end of a muddy game!