Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours

best album ever............discuss.

(just watching programme on BBC3 about Fleetwood Mac - every song on that album is a masterpiece.)

Comments

• I thought for a moment the old thread was making a comeback.
  • Lindsey Buckingham (FM period) = my favourite guitarist.
  • This is SOOOOOO Difficult to choose .. but

Abraxas .. Santana .. closely followed by:

Court & Spark .. Joni Mitchell
    Caravanserai .. Santana
    Deja Vu .. Crosby, Stills & Nash
    Shut Down Vol 2 .. Beach Boys
    Rumours .. Fleetwood Mac
    I would add to this MANY jazz compilations

and one for one of the main ladies in my life: Come On Over .. Shania Twain
  • For the oldies Bridge over trouble waters Simon and Garfunkle, is there a bad track?
  • Why is this in the "General Charlton" thread list?
  • Perhaps it's time this thread went its own way.
  • Amazing album!
  • Not even close. Not even in the top 500. (And that's if you exclude the complete output by the Berlin Philharmonic and Zappa's 94 albums.)
    The band became of no interest to me as soon as Peter Green left - producing little more than soft pop with maybe two or three decent "sing along with" songs.
  • Rumours is a phenomenal record. I'm fairly new to the fleet, wish I could get a ticket to see them live.
  • Bridge over troubled water - very good shout

Also: Born to Run (Springsteen) One of these nights (Eagles) Rise (Gabrielle). All stuffed with classics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cream - Disraeli Gears (1967). Storming stuff from the fractious and talented trio.
    Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night (1973). Melodic, lyrical songs and superb musicianship from the founders of the Canterbury Scene.
  • edited June 2013
    cafcfan said:

Not even close. Not even in the top 500. (And that's if you exclude the complete output by the Berlin Philharmonic and Zappa's 94 albums.)

The band became of no interest to me as soon as Peter Green left - producing little more than soft pop with maybe two or three decent "sing along with" songs.

This.

But most of the girls I knew liked Rumours.

• cafcfan said:

Not even close. Not even in the top 500. (And that's if you exclude the complete output by the Berlin Philharmonic and Zappa's 94 albums.)

Sorry, but I really have to disagree with you there. I must admit I am no aficionado of music and bow down to your superior knowledge of all music since the 1950's, but Rumours has stood the test of time & regularly appears in the top 10 albums of all time when Rolling Stone etc etc compile their lists FROM THE GENERAL PUBLIC.
  • TOP 500 ALBUMS OF ALL TIME

From a poll conducted by Rolling Stone in 2003

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles

2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys

3. Revolver, The Beatles

4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan

5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles

6. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye

7. Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones

8. London Calling, The Clash

9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan

10. The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles

11. The Sun Sessions, Elvis Presley

12. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis

13. Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground

14. Abbey Road, The Beatles

15. Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience

16. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan

17. Nevermind, Nirvana

18. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen

19. Astral Weeks, Van Morrison

20. Thriller, Michael Jackson

21. The Great Twenty-Eight, Chuck Berry

22. Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon

23. Innervisions, Stevie Wonder

24. Live at the Apollo (1963), James Brown

25. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac

http://www.archer2000.net/sbs/awardsrs500.html
  • What a fantastic list that whole 500 is. "Touch" by the Eurythmics at 500!! And that's some album.
  • Rumours is one of my favourite albums of all time but weirdly it isn't even my fav album from the month it was released (feb 77). I prefer Peter Gabriel's debut solo album.
  • This is Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.

1. The Beatles - Makes sense. Some of the most influential albums of all time are the works of these lads. What else can you say?
    2. Bob Dylan - I could argue with this one. He's a legend, but number 2?
    3. Elvis Presley - Very successful, the king of rock n roll of course, but he was very controlled by his manager.
    4. Rolling Stones - Often called 'Anti-Beatles', definitely top 5
    5. Chuck Berry - Probably invented Rock n Roll. Deserves to be here.
    6. Jimi Hendrix - First guitar god, I believe. Revolutionary player
    7. James Brown - Godfather of soul, is it? Great showman
    8. Little Richard - American Rock & Roll/R & B singer and pianist
    9. Aretha Franklin - I think she was the first woman to be inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame. I'll look that up later.
    10. Ray Charles - American R&B singer and pianist
    11. Bob Marley - Jamaican reggae singer
    12. The Beach Boys - Some of the catchiest songs I ever heard.
    13. Buddy Holly - Tragic death. One of the first to use a solid-body electric guitar.
    14. Led Zeppelin - Possibly the 'fathers of heavy metal', but some might argue that Black Sabbath is.
    15. Stevie Wonder - American soul singer. Plays many different instruments, and has won 22 grammy awards
    16. Sam Cooke - A founder of soul music.
    17. Muddy Waters - 'Father of Chicago Blues'
    18. Marvin Gaye - 'The Prince of Motown'.
    19. The Velvet Underground - American rock band, formed in 1965. Regarded as highly influencial in the rise to punk-rock, and alt-rock.
    20. Bo Diddley - Legendary R&B singer. Known as the 'Originator'
    21. Otis Redding - You might not know him, but you've probably heard 'Sittin' on the dock of a bay'.
    22. U2 - The Joshua Tree was one of my favourite albums
    23. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA was overplayed. Good to see him make music again.
    24. Jerry Lee Lewis - 'Great Balls of Fire' was his greatest hit, and one of my favs
    25. Fats Domino - Rock & Roll pianist

http://www.listology.com/blindsider/list/rolling-stone-100-greatest-artists-all-time-immortals
  • This is Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 100 greatest artists of all time.

1. The Beatles - Makes sense. Some of the most influential albums of all time are the works of these lads. What else can you say?

Not much that hasn't already been said I guess, Henry.
    They redefined what could be done with 2 guitars, bass and drums.
    With 2 astonishingly gifted, yet untutored songwriters they had the confidence and ability to experiment and push themselves with each successive recording.
    Even early songs which may now sound quaint and primitive used unusual chord sequences and sound textures that pushed the boundaries of what had gone before - and where they led others followed or found the confidence to explore their own muse.
    From "Love me do" to "I am the Walrus" in 4 years. The pace of change was incredible.
    They brought sunshine and colour to a jaded "pop" scene and to paraphrase Paul Kantner "the world exploded into renaissance"

No argument from me. A charismatic folk original embraces the zeitgeist created by the Beatles and goes electric; bringing a mind-blowing articulacy, poetry and humour to rock'n'roll and in turn influencing the Beatles to stop worrying whether "She Loves You" and to conclude that "Tomorrow Never Knows"

3. Elvis Presley - Very successful, the king of rock n roll of course, but he was very controlled by his manager.
    A rock'n'roll original and major influence on the Beatles and Dylan et al.
    And who said that a white man can't sing the blues?

• edited June 2013
    Not my views or comments but the guy posting the list.

though I can't really argue with the names. I would have put Elvis and some others before the Beatles but few names in that list I could argue against.
  • Back on topic - Rumours.
    Best album ever? No.
    But it is a great album, in the top 100 for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dark side of the moon?
  • Not my views or comments but the guy posting the list.

though I can't really argue with the names. I would have put Elvis and some others before the Beatles but few names in that list I could argue against.

Ah right, just assumed it was your own comment.
    It's a good list isn't it? - might just quibble about the order or one or two inclusions/omissions lower down.

• Dark side of the moon?

Prefer WYWH.

• The Doors, Love over Gold, Help, Kinks Village green preservation society
  • razil said:

The Doors, Love over Gold, Help, Kinks Village green preservation society

Was listening to The Doors last night: still valid and full of life - Riders on the Storm, Strange Days, Touch Me, Roadhouse Blues, Peace Frog. Great stuff.

• Ok Computer - Radiohead
    Violator - Depeche Mode
    Ten - Pearl Jam

9. Aretha Franklin - I think she was the first woman to be inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame. I'll look that up later.
    13. Buddy Holly - Tragic death. One of the first to use a solid-body electric guitar.
    14. Led Zeppelin - Possibly the 'fathers of heavy metal', but some might argue that Black Sabbath is.
    15. Stevie Wonder - American soul singer. Plays many different instruments, and has won 22 grammy awards
    19. The Velvet Underground - American rock band, formed in 1965. Regarded as highly influencial in the rise to punk-rock, and alt-rock.
    21. Otis Redding - You might not know him, but you've probably heard 'Sittin' on the dock of a bay'.
    23. Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA was overplayed. Good to see him make music again.
    24. Jerry Lee Lewis - 'Great Balls of Fire' was his greatest hit, and one of my favs

http://www.listology.com/blindsider/list/rolling-stone-100-greatest-artists-all-time-immortals

Not many of these tally with sales.

• "The Doors" by the doors their debut (as in consistently excellent quality album)

Not many of these tally with sales.

Haha, yeh, where are the Spice Girls?
  • Biggest selling rock album of all times (was by a band with 2 Scots and one Englishman in it, plus 2 others).............is?